Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20 rep deadlift program...

yeah, but don't forget that guy in the article only did the 20-rep sets once a week. The original 20-rep DL program calls for continuous reps and more frequent workouts. You'll have to figure that one out.

BTW, for all of you that do the rest-pause style, in the past few months I have switched to the continuous style with controlled descents, little to no bouncing at the bottom and I feel it is benefical - because it teaches you to take advantage of the hamstring stretch reflex. The second rep is usually easier than the first for this reason.

ps I still do low rep sets though.

So I did my first workout with the 20 rep Deadlift program I'm adapting. I started with a 20 rep set @ 100 lbs. as I planned, and I've gotta say, it was not easy. Round about 12 reps I was breathing like a frieght train. I didn't need to use the rest/pause protocol yet, but I can easily see that this might be necessary by the time I'm pulling 200 or so. I'm going to increase the resistance by ten pounds and try again on Friday. Thanks for all the input guys, it really helped me figure out how I wanted to do this.
    Bodhi Richards

It will take a week or two but you'll adapt to the higher reps. I went from doing sets of 5 to sets of 15 and it took a week or two to adapt. Of course by that time I had moved on to sets of 10, but still But at any rate, I would bet that when you get into it after a few workouts, doing 140 x 20 will be easier than when you did 100 x 20 (hopefully).
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Arrrgghh. 20-rep deadlifts... killing... me...

Maybe I'll switch to two or three sets of ten. I don't know how long I can continue this. It looks like I went and found the toughest weight training routine in history. Or at least it's the toughest I've ever tried.

Anyone have a heart defibrellator?

How in the f@ck did you manage 5 sets of 15, Iron? I'll keep at it as long as I can. I definately think I'll be seeing some kind of results from this, if the effort involved is any indication.
    Bodhi Richards

How many sets of 20 reps are you doing? I only did 20 reps once on the deadlift and it was only 185, my max for singles is 315. However, I used a thick bar, didn't rest between reps and wasn't that out of breathe in the end. I don't understand. Maybe I didn't have enough weight.
    However, that said, my squat is pathetic and I've recently started a 20 rep squat program. Basically just once a week for 20 reps starting at 130 with an end goal in fifteen weeks of 200. The first workout was fine. Oh yeah, I never squat, the only time I have was a couple summers ago with some friends at the gym.
    A unique snowflake

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    How in the f@ck did you manage 5 sets of 15, Iron? I'll keep at it as long as I can. I definately think I'll be seeing some kind of results from this, if the effort involved is any indication.
    I've done 2 sets of 15 before, but never 5 sets of 15.

Originally posted by IronFist
    I went from doing sets of 5 to sets of 15 and it took a week or two to adapt.
    Lol. I'd read that quote from you about five minutes after finishing a set of twenty with 160lbs. and was so addled I read it "5 sets of 15". Boy was I tired!

Anyway, I hope I can keep this up, 'cause if I make my goal of a 20 rep set with 320lbs. I will be stronger than I've ever thought possible.
    Bodhi Richards

I can see this is turning into a training BLOG. Anyhow, I just finished my first set of deads for 200 X 20. I jumped up 40 lbs. from my last workout because I knew I could if I used the rest/pause method, and I was getting impatient.

Thing is, rest/pausing like the article suggested ends up turning the set into 20 sets of singles, since after awhile, the temptation to rest a little bit longer after every set gets pretty strong. I had the soundtrack to "Conan the Barbarian" blasting and judging from where the track was when my set was over, it took a little over four minutes! I miss PTP.

So do you guys think a set of 20 that takes four minutes to complete is too much rest for hypertrophy purposes?
    Bodhi Richards

Yikes! I just went back to the bar and realized I pulled 220 X 20, meaning I jumped 60 lbs! Brain damage anyone? No wonder I'm tired. I'll be big and dumb before you know it.
    Bodhi Richards

Yikes! I just went back to the bar and realized I pulled 220 X 20, meaning I jumped 60 lbs! Brain damage anyone? No wonder I'm tired. I'll be big and dumb before you know it.
    I love that. Actually, one time I realized I benched 10lbs more than I thought I did and it was rad cuz I thought it was easy.

Another time I thought I put more on the bar than I did, and I was ****ed afterward when I realized my mistake.

You'd think that after loading weight on and off the bar in the same increments of plates for 4 years I would know what is what

So do you guys think a set of 20 that takes four minutes to complete is too much rest for hypertrophy purposes?
    Not at all. Escalating Density singles are great for hypertrophy and can be done for up to 15 minutes.

Okay guys, here's my first workout and my last workout just in order to compare:

12/8/04 (Wed)
    Deadlift 120 X 20
    Military Press 120 X 9
    Concentration Curl 45 X 6
    Skull Crusher 40 X 7

12/26/04 (Sun)
    Deadlift 240 X 20
    Military Press 135 X 9
    Concentration Curl 45 X 8
    Skull Crusher 45 X 8

I figure that it's okay that my curls and skull-crushers aren't progressing as fast as my compound lifts since they're pre-exhausted by the other lifts anyhow. I'm actually failing on the ninth or tenth rep, but I only recorded the lowest complete rep for the weaker arm.

So I've only got eighty more pounds to go until I reach my goal of 320 X 20 on deadlifts!
    Bodhi Richards