Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mobility

Simon,

You are very welcome, happy to be of help.

If you or your coach are new to using a video camera to debrief then I should give you a couple guidelines.

1. The coach should review the video before you do. He/she needs to find the specific areas that illustrate what areas you need to work on and fastforward to just those points. This saves quite a bit of ego issues and wasting time looking at things that are not directly part of what you are working on in that session.

2. Presentation, the coach should be able to clearly identify the specific mechanical / mental errors and how to correct them. Do not try this with a peer unless you are both at a very high level of skill and diagnostic ability. Given your profile says 4 years of study I would say don't try peer review.

3. Ego, leave yours at the door. Be totally open to the criticism if you feel any ego rush then back off and take a breather.

4. During the session you get to see the video clip maximum three times. Once at full speed, once at slowmo and if needed another time with still frame or again at full. Don't spend much time on review during the session. When the training session is over then you can sit down and do a full review.

5. TAKE NOTES. You will forget a significant amount of instruction, so make sure that you are taking good notes.

6. Visualize yourself doing it right before you go back to spar/drill. You need to erase the negative mental picture and build a positive one. See / feel yourself doing it correctly and superimpose that over the experience of being taken out.

What goes for you goes for your partner as well. Both of you should be getting significant amounts of feedback.

I will stop here, but I think that will get you going down a productive path.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

Originally posted by Tydive
    Simon,

You are very welcome, happy to be of help.

If you or your coach are new to using a video camera to debrief then I should give you a couple guidelines.

1. The coach should review the video before you do. He/she needs to find the specific areas that illustrate what areas you need to work on and fastforward to just those points. This saves quite a bit of ego issues and wasting time looking at things that are not directly part of what you are working on in that session.

2. Presentation, the coach should be able to clearly identify the specific mechanical / mental errors and how to correct them. Do not try this with a peer unless you are both at a very high level of skill and diagnostic ability. Given your profile says 4 years of study I would say don't try peer review.

3. Ego, leave yours at the door. Be totally open to the criticism if you feel any ego rush then back off and take a breather.

4. During the session you get to see the video clip maximum three times. Once at full speed, once at slowmo and if needed another time with still frame or again at full. Don't spend much time on review during the session. When the training session is over then you can sit down and do a full review.

5. TAKE NOTES. You will forget a significant amount of instruction, so make sure that you are taking good notes.

6. Visualize yourself doing it right before you go back to spar/drill. You need to erase the negative mental picture and build a positive one. See / feel yourself doing it correctly and superimpose that over the experience of being taken out.

What goes for you goes for your partner as well. Both of you should be getting significant amounts of feedback.

I will stop here, but I think that will get you going down a productive path.

I think you got something there, I can see that working, and I will try that in my next private class. It’s like studying your own fight tapes I can relate to that. Then some may not know what to look for, but there is always room too fixes something using that method. Thanks.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com

Ali,

Yeah, it's a short version of what we used to debrief skydives back in my competiton days. I also used a similar system in fencing and in some of my more agressive MA training.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

Some great responses - cheers!

Ali - my hands are pretty good from lots of random close sparring (chi sao and breaking away from it) but thanks for the ideas.

Vankeun - I'm slowly getting this happening with the help of weights(!) I've got a DVD from Steve Cotter (Full KOntact Kettlebells) that tells ya to do your footwork drills with KBs or DBs in the rack position (like a boxing guard position). has helped heaps, but I obviously have to do it a LOT more to ingrain it in for footwork under pressure.

Ty - great stuff. I will get into it as soon as I have the means. Thanks for the detail!