Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making money teaching Praying Mantis

Making money teaching Praying Mantis

Can it be done?

Can you make a living teaching PM with out the kid classes or with out the belt ranks?

How do you make money teaching PM, or do you teach it just for the love?

Myself I dont think it can be done unless, you water it down, make it like Karate, or Judo, and have lots of kid classes, and ladies self defence, belt ranks and testing fee's, this is something I wont do.

So do you earn a living watering down your system, or live poor and keep it true?

Thanks
    Real Masters dont post on Forums.

What's wrong with kids classes?

I believe that children are our future, tech them well and let them lead the way.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

:)

I can't see watering it down myself and I find it hard to take money to teach. Although I would love to just do this and not have to work I know I don't have the background and full knowledge of the system to make a name and living at it. But what I do know is good enough for me, I get to workout with people and they help chip in for equipment, trips, etc. For now I'm happy with that.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Do you thing the schools that teach the tan tui sets and northern set such as kung lik watered down? There must be a reason that they started teaching these sets in the first place.

My kids class has the most promise. The ones that stay around untill they are 17 have the fundamental out of the way and can begin to focus on the intricate stuff. They should be great by the time they are 25. Why would you want to start with some one who is 21? It seems harder to me to make a martial artist out of someone who starts later in life. Most of the "good" martial artists did not start at 24. I would not ignore the childrens market.

Belt ranking. Just do a price check of the other schools in the town figure in their belt testing fees and charge the same. Many Karate schools dont charge for testing anymore the just add it into the monthly fee.

I am sure that many of the "Old Masters" would agree that mantis kung fu has more to offer than just fighting. It can help people in any different aspects of thier lives.

Womens self defense. Doing something good for the comunity and making a little money doesnt sound to bad.

When you run a bussiness it is like being in a fight. You have to think out of the box. If you find yourself in a bad situation you have to adapt or change the situation to your atvantage.

Have a good day

Yes I do think you can make a living at it, that is if you are a good instructor and good with people.

Smile With all due respects...

"Myself I dont think it can be done unless, you water it down, make it like Karate, or Judo,"

I am not sure how is a Mckwoon (not pointing fingers here) better than a McDojo? Is there any proof to that? Mckwoon can anytime sux big time aganist a real Karate or Judo Dojo or vice versa. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just wanted to say that sweeping statements as such are not helpful to the cause. Karate, Judo, TKD, MMA, BJJ, Capeoira, etc.. are all popular for a reason. You just have to find the niche for your own to make it successful. [but then Modern Wushu will never ever be better than traditional Kung Fu - THAT IS A FACT. PERIOD]

" and have lots of kid classes, and ladies self defence,"

If Kung Fu can not give kids the discipline and confidence to protect themselves against bullies or drastic situation such as a school shooting incident when there is not enough help from adults, what good is Kung Fu? If Kung Fu can not give proper instructions and right attitude to ladies to properly defend themselves what good is Kung Fu? We might as well think of ourselve being "movie fu" living in fantasy land. I believe Kung Fu is to help people especially those who are considered weak to help themselves. Beware of elitist mindset.

" belt ranks and testing fee's, this is something I wont do."

I agreed that ranks and testing fee's are not good practice for Kung Fu. But then I don't teach to make money for a living. So ... May be to some it's a necessary evil.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Mantis108 wrote

"I'am not sure how is a Mckwoon (not pointing fingers here) better than a McDojo? Is there any proof to that? Mckwoon can anytime sux big time aganist a real Karate or Judo Dojo or vice versa. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just wanted to say that sweeping statements as such are not helpful to the cause. Karate, Judo, TKD, MMA, BJJ, Capeoira, etc.. are all popular for a reason. You just have to find the niche for your own to make it successful."

"better" no one was comparing, and I'm not here to help the cause, I do Kung-Fu, not any of the arts you mentioned.

also let me show you where you contradict your self, please read below

[but then Modern Wushu will never ever be better than traditional Kung Fu - THAT IS A FACT. PERIOD]\

so much for YOU helping "the cause"

Thanks

Smile

Thank you for your clarification. I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

;)

lol oso.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Originally posted by Oso
    Yeah I must be a troll, was it because I didn't agree with Mantis108?

Or because I dont care about the other arts that are not Kung Fu?

Or maybe because I pointed out when mantis108 contradicted himself?

Or because I'm new and dont have over three thousand posts like yourself?

Plaese explain oso, it's pretty rude to jude others you dont know.

So what's the deal?

Mike

marketing

I think you can make money without watering a system down.
    If you knew the mantis you studied was watered down would you really want to continue to study. I wouldn't . I started learning S. mantis because of the fact that it wasn't any thing like judo, or karate, or any thingelse I've seen. further more it's all a matter of marketing, supply and demand, how many kung fu schools in your area? How many mantis schools in your area. personaly I'm learning an art that isn't easy to find in Nebraska but a lot of people seem interested in. So basicly from a marketing stand point I have a unique product
    that people want and people will pay for. Do you remember tickle me Elmo around Christmas a few back. stores ran out and the few that were left were sold at an increased price.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Re: Making money teaching Praying Mantis

Originally posted by WhiteMonkey
    Can it be done?

Can you make a living teaching PM with out the kid classes or with out the belt ranks?

How do you make money teaching PM, or do you teach it just for the love?

Myself I dont think it can be done unless, you water it down, make it like Karate, or Judo, and have lots of kid classes, and ladies self defence, belt ranks and testing fee's, this is something I wont do.

So do you earn a living watering down your system, or live poor and keep it true?

Thanks
    WM, this is completely a trolling post.

You know it.

I know it.

Everyone else knows it.

Robert is just perhaps the nicest person on the forum here and will always give people the benefit of the doubt and attempt to talk with them about what they are saying.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Talking I'm a soothsayer

I percieve lockdown to be eminent.

Oh, its because you know it

And I now it,

And everyone else knows it,

so it must be true.......

Thats so high school....are you a kid?

That sounds like something my 16yr old would say!

Your actions are childish.

Mike
    Last edited by WhiteMonkey; 12-02-2004 at 07:32 AM.