Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantis Applications...lets talk

Mantis Applications...lets talk

Lets talk app's......

Name the form.......then the move and/or the # of the move in the form, and how you apply it or its application that YOU use.
    (any forms any app, taught to you or made up by you, It's all good, also if you have another app for a move mentioned, feel free to expand on it and share)

Bung Bo, 5th & 6th move, used in one motion to attack.

Its the move in the hanging stance with the left hand forward punch and the right hand pulling back, finished with the elbow strike landing in lady stance.

App#1 Engage the bridge, grab with the right hand pulling back while, jumping forward with left hand punch to face,(#5)....... if blocked use right elbow against their right elbow applying force for take down.(#6)

App#2 Engage the bridge, grab with the right hand pulling back while, jumping forward with left hand punch to face (#5)......
    slide right foot behind attackers left leg, grab with left hand, right hand pushing near the shoulder for take down.

App#3 Engage the bridge, grab with the right hand pulling back while, jumping forward with left hand punch to face (#5)......
    with a forward motion strike attackers face with elbow.(#6)

Its pretty basic mantis, but hopefully it will start a nice thread sharing info on app's, I'll post another one later.

Mike
    Real Masters dont post on Forums.

Exactly how I teach it, though I usually incorporate the knee in their. The knee and punch can go at the same time to distract the opponent, this is very common in all families of Mantis. Feint high to strike low. Feint low to strike high. Common phrase in Mantis, and this app. is exactly what they are talking about.
    Good post.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

WhiteM,
    Nice stuff I do like that too, but also add knee if I can.
    BTW, I have not hear engage the bridge in PM, can you go into detail?

Same spot of the Beng Bu form.

A; throw out right hand
    B; throw out right hand as defense.
    A; jump to left(b's outer gate) while pulling B's right hand to my waist.
    This is where the knee strikes B's ribs or groin.
    Simultaneusly left hand slaps B's right ear. If it has a big lobe or ornament then rip it off, otherwise insert left thumb into eye socket.
    If you are a kind man, just pull his/her hair.
    The right elbow can then slam into B's neck left side.
    My right foot comes down to entangle his foot(which ever is closest),
    Then backfist to his neck right side.

Some folks are tough and this won't actually do much, so you can start to pile the right elbow into his neck-imagine hammering a blunt nail into concrete.

Some schools of Beng Bu don't have a left punch like you describe.
    Some use left hand as sealing(feng Shou) and some as open hand or grab hand.

Tainan

Very interesting interpretation!
    Question; do you ever have problems with getting your hands crossed up while doing this technique?
    Thanks for the post.
    Always good to hear a different perspective.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

First thanks for the replys.

I thought that maybe It was taboo to post app's, because no one was posting, like I had broke the rules.

Three Harmonies- Yes I also use the knee to strike. Great Point

Tainan Mantis- Engage the bridge, is a term I use when training, it's when you and your partner both have your hands up and have made some form of contact, both hands touching forming a bridge, hence the term "engage the bridge" I dont remember where it came from, I think I stole it from my Wing Chun training buddy, there may be another way to say it in PM terms.

I'll post another app, as soon as I have time.
    Real Masters dont post on Forums.

:)

Question, how do you guys feel about taking a tactic in a form like stated above and finding other uses or different ways to do the tactic?

Other than hidden or fakes, I'm guessing depending on the teacher some of the tactics are taught differently. I know in our line a lot of the supposed eye gouges aren't really eye gouges at all because the opponent is moving his head and you aren't going to strike the eyes. It's either a grab or a fake. Example laan dzeed move #3 (as well as later on in the form) we use as a grab to the opponents right arm pull and draw his other arm out with a fake, grab his left arm with your left arm and execute a throw with the 7 star stance by crossing his arms up.

One of the examples you give above where you execute a throw by stepping your right leg behind his and throwing with the elbow. Which you actually see in laan dzeed at the end of the 2nd road. So I guess my other question is, the tactics used where you guys say have multiple uses are usually seen in other forms, and I know you pull the tactics out of forms to use as two person drills. So wouldn't you say this ap from bung bo and this ap from laan dzeed?
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Ok ive got an app question for bung bo. at the end of bung bo what is the mantis hands and 7* stance for? as your turning to face another direction is it a new attacker? if so he gets away quite lightly.

bung bu

Humble , the way we play it is this.

You turn to face the opponent he throws a left right punch combination. You slap with your RH at his Lwrist, your LH wedges from underneath. (That is the first motion that is done almost at the same time, it starts the figure eight motion you see). Then comes his RH punch, after you LH wedge (this is where the second part of the figure 8 motion comes in) you circle your R arm over and grab is R wrist, your left arm circles over and at the same time your body steps back into a cat stance and you execute an arm bar with your left arm attacking his right elbow.

hope this helps, hopefully I'll have a complete video of this form how we do it up soon.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

Ok 3rd move from the end in Bung Bo.
    Left intercept hand in left 7* stance have any of you had a go at this as a chin an move??? If so how did you find it???

Dave

Actually in that ap it's just a grab to his wrist then step in with the 7 star mid level punch. You see that chin na ap in laan dzeed 3rd move where someone grabs your wrist you slap down with your other hand on top of his grabbing hand, and you hold his hand down while twisting over.

Where you see chin na tactics in bung bo would be in the 3rd road after the pull with the LH and Palm cut, with the RH you Grab the wrist and chin na, strike with the left hand on his turned wrist.
    Last edited by shirkers1; 12-09-2004 at 10:22 AM.

BTL,
    I don't have prob getting my hand crossed up, but if the opponent is suddenly unmovable and I can't move his hand I will change to something else.

Shirkers,
    True, finger in the eye is tough on a moving target.
    It is a little easier when the other hand can contrl the opponent's head.

I sparred a guy who specialized in eye strikes and he got me twice right on the eye, what a surprise.

Sometimes they just happen by accident, so it is nice to prepare.
    A few months agao I thought my eye ball was misplaced in the socket and the whole world became double for about 3 minutes.

Tainan oh I agree eye gouges have their place. It's just that usually in the forms it's the fake or something completely different.

Bung bo kuen

the third panther movement in the form with the left hand that slides behind the right arm.

Application
    Panther - opponent catches it - you bring left arm up and slide the catch off your arm while simutaniously using the sliding hand to hold his catching hand. The 7star foot is applied and the waist chop is applyed to his left side.

Bung bo kuen
    Form - Mantis catches cicarda - Kick - finger strike - break - pull wrist - temple.

Application
    The right punch comes in, you fall back into a mantis catch, you jump and kick with left leg to his right knee and then right leg to his groin. Just as your right leg lands the finger strike to the eye is thrown and the same hand then breaks the wrist that your left hand should still be holding. The back of wrist strike is then thrown to the throat with the right hand and then the last movement is the crushing of the temple with both hands.

Daw ghong also has some great applications in it. I perticularly like the set of movements after the first shuffle forwards with the circular strike to the groin.
    The Block and punch - drill to the groin with right- step together with an upward elbow thrust - hammer down.

sorry i dont know the specific terminology of movements but like everyone i am still learning :P

craig

Our lineage does the last movement of bung bo as if someone has grabbed your left shoulder from behind with their right hand. The app is simply that your right hand comes down and back around his wrist and then your left places on top. Basically you catch him.

craig

Originally posted by monkeyfoot
    Bung bo kuen

Form - Mantis catches cicarda - Kick - finger strike - break - pull wrist - temple.

Application
    The right punch comes in, you fall back into a mantis catch, you jump and kick with left leg to his right knee and then right leg to his groin. Just as your right leg lands the finger strike to the eye is thrown and the same hand then breaks the wrist that your left hand should still be holding. The back of wrist strike is then thrown to the throat with the right hand and then the last movement is the crushing of the temple with both hands.
    Allthough it could be done of course, I donīt like the applications with multiple (more than two) strikes and kicks and the opponent stand there and takes it all!
    I prefer to let the second part block and counter so the applications get more fluid and makes more sence!
    Of course "final moves" could be found in every form but thats not the point ...
    If you canīt change the world - change yourself!
    And if you canīt change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site