Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened to Martial Morals???

Exclamation Whatever Happened to Martial Morals???

Well, I often asked myself this question as time passed and thought about posting this for a while now. I decided to post or perhaps vent about this topic because lately I haven't liked what I have been reading particularly on these forums.

What really brought me to write about this is the latest flaming posts about certain Shaolin Kung Fu monks by certain members of the forum community here. Another example, a flaming post in this section alone about a chinese master is easily seen here. As I began researching this and searching this forum alone, I realized that it's just not happening to the monks and some of their students but also often includes other masters from various styles and their students. So I said to myself, whatever happened to martial morals?? Does anyone still practice Wu de??

You know most professions have what they call a code of ethics. Police officers, lawyers, doctors, nurses and well..... even martial artists of course! What are ethics you may ask? The dictionary says ethics is "the philosophical study of moral values and rules". I think many people get confused and say it's all "freedom of speech" and ignore the ethics. Now, I agree that you can post or say your opinions just like the guy next to you can. You have the right to say just about anything you want, but you reap what you sow. A police officer can throw someone in jail for something as minor as a traffic violation, a doctor can prescribe any drug for any reason to anyone, a lawyer can negotiate your fate, a nurse can neglect to do his or her job at a hospital and martial artists can learn martial arts for the wrong reasons......or flame other masters and students because they think what they are learning is the "real deal" and the others are "fake". But is it ethical?

What's the point to all this? Try using martial morals in everything you do, not just in the school. You are who you represent. The posts criticizing martial art masters, styles and students are tasteless and just plain unethical. Some of these masters have 15 + years of learning and teaching martial arts. Who are we to discredit them and tell them what they have been studying for the last 15 years doesn't work or it's fake? If the style or teaching methods isn't for you then you find something else you like. Thanks for listening, ok reading.

Oom Yung Doe/Chung moo Quan, Temple Kung Fu, Shaolin Do ad even those knobs who teach Tai Chi, Hsing I and Bagua but "Claim" it is Tai Tzu Chang Chuan because it is the art of the Emperor and has better marketing value than the mainstream stuff they are actually teaching thier students.

Simply put, there are ALOT of frauds out there in the MA world today. Heck, it's SO bad that second and third generations are now out continuing the lies and not even knowing it anymore. I think it is the responsiblity of those who are "in the know" to stand up and counter all the BS being perpetrated out there.

"All it takes for evil to suceed, is Good men to say nothing"
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Right you are RD. Do you remember when we were both on the same MA discussion board back around '94 and Ashida Kim would come on and start cursing everyone out and going off on rambling political monologues against President Clinton?

Man, there are some real fruits out there. Another favorite of mine was "Soke Dr. Grandmaster Undisputed World Kickboxing and Kumite Champion" Irving Soto (who has since added "Hanshi" to his list of "titles" he always sticks in front of his name ), who supposedly holds "Grandmaster" titles in 9 different martial arts and trained with a Japanese master whose name he never learned (he claims that he always just called him "Sensei"). Oh yeah, and he claims that he won his "weighht division" in the same "Kumite" that Frank Dux was "Heavyweight" champion in (even though Dux claimed there were no weight divisions, AND it's been proven that Dux made the whole story up anyway... he's another good one).

So, there are plenty of people out ther calling themselves "masters", but it doesn't neccessarily make it so. Yeah, sometimes people are harsh on those they think are fulla crap, but sometimes that's how it has to be.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Sometimes those oppinions are base on the same stuff... I have seen some GMs ripped for no reason other than someone didn't think they "looked real in thier old photos."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

To not question and examine is a greater error in my opinion.

To not tolerate any scrutiny is a weakness.

I understand what you are saying, but it is incredibly dangerous to put anyone on a pedistal and even more so to see anyone as above or below you yourself.

No one is beyond a deeper look. And if those individuals who walk into a controversial position in the first place and expect it to be a cakewalk, then they themselves will have to deal with it.

Afterall, what is reality but illusion? And what are we in the end?

Wu De or the lack of it is not the problem in my opinion, it is fat egos and tempestuous personalities. Sure some of the people saying these things come across as foolish but consider this:

Only a fool takes heed of the words of another fool. Also, something worth thinking about is that which we are most repulsed by is more often than not strongly present in ourselves.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings..

Royal Dragon:
    I think it is the responsiblity of those who are "in the know" to stand up and counter all the BS being perpetrated out there.
    Agreed, but.. so much of the supposed "in the know" posters in here still post what appears to be BS that it is difficult for a novice or even someone with mediocre experience to figure out who is "in the know"..

The decline of Wude is consistent with the general decline of morals in society, not that i have a solid understanding of "morals".. it seems that even amongst the "authorities" in the morals department (clergy, lawmakers, role-models, etc..) there is a generous amount of evidence that the values they speak are not the values they live.. regardless of what someone says, it is their life that defines their "morals"..

On the other hand, "morals" are not a universal truth, there are no fixed standards for evaluating what is or isn't "moral".. each situation demands its own evaluation in terms of culture, consequences, and variables.. things considered immoral in one culture may be virtuous in another.. is it immoral to take a life? well, that depends on the situation..

Personally, i evaluate my "intentions", i consider the consequences, and act accordingly.. ultimately, i strive to "do no harm", unless i am forced to choose between harms with consequences that i must evaluate with the harmony of others in mind..

Regarding "fake" or suspicious claims, or dubious lineages, or mutated styles.. i simply suggest "truth in labeling", tell them what it is that you do.. in the end, the instructors and their students will be the proof of its validity.. what are their accomplishments? For the insightful and courageous pioneers that developed original styles, they had no "lineages", only a system that had observable results.. that is the standard, results.. Any claim is subject to challenge and rebuttal, any person making a claim should be prepared to support it with proof or action or in the situation where "proof" is unavailable (spiritual, paranormal, etc..) sufficient anecdotal evidence as to be convincing of the merits of the claim..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    [B] I think it is the responsiblity of those who are "in the know" to stand up and counter all the BS being perpetrated out there.

From your profile : Almight, all seeing, ll powerful KNOWITALL!!!!

LOL!!! Forgot I had that in there!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I tell you what Songshan, you figure out how to get all the crap out of the martial arts, all the wanna be sifus' all the soggy bellied wanna be warrior monks and all the people doing it for the money, the prestige and the power, and I'll practice Wu De and not talk bad about people who suck ass. Otherwise, as far as I'm conerned, with all the talk of Wu De, no one seems to be wanting to do anything about all those people out there ruining the arts for everyone else.

fukk wude

ruiners!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Harlots!!!!!

On a side note,

My teacher once told me that there were more Grand Masters in America than there have ever been in Asia.

I personally know of one here locally, who recieved a brown belt from his JKD teacher, got his black belt in TKD mail order video tape, joined the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame, and without even attending another seminar is now a 10th Dan Grandmaster of his own style, the head of many world wide organizations, (which he and some of his friends founded), and has a fairly large group of "Certified Instructors" around the world.

To these people Martial Arts is Business and

THERE ARE NO ETHICS IN BUSINESS

regardless of what you heard in Billy Madison.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

10th Dan Grandmaster of his own style
    more then anything else in the martial arts world I despise this sort of sh!t. That's the epitomy of greed wannabe. Some guy doesn't have the patience to wait to earn the respect, and the skill so he has to go out find all teh short cuts he can, create his own style and get certified through some round about way. Guys like this should be beaten senseless by every other martial artist in his community until he gets the picture.

Showing who is a fraud is subjective. Are you proving they are not from a lineage? Are you showing someone is not teaching a style? Or that they are not the rank they say they are.

Look at USSD from the Villari lineage. They call it Shaolin Kempo Karate; it was developed from Fred Villari. Is it fraud? He does not claim that he learned from the Shaolin Monks (I realize Steve Demasco is now going to China) and many CMA people say what he teaches is not Shaolin, he says that what he learned goes back to Shaolin, but many styles can say that.

As far as rank, is Villari a 10th and Steve a 9th or 10th? Who is to say, there is no standard, that’s one of the problems the MA have.

I do not know a lot about Shaolin do, but if he created the system, I would have to see it to make a judgment on it. IS it Shaolin? Doesn’t sound like it. Is it effective? Could be.

Is he a Grand Master? No standards, but after 30 years of training he should have some skill and knowledge.

What makes a master?
    Gene Labelle is a 9th degree in Ju-Jitsu and an 8th in Judo. He does not like to be called Master. He likes Sensei.

If I were to measure myself against a man like him I would never be called a master.

In some systems its at 4th, some 7th, some higher.

Showing who is a fraud is subjective. Are you proving they are not from a lineage?
    not really, if you can't use it to fight or can't train multiple people to use it to fight then you are fake.

I say we delete the master and granmaster titles from martial arts for ever. You're either an instructor or a student.