Thread: Has Eddie Chong's Sifu been inflating his teaching?

Question Has Eddie Chong's Sifu been inflating his teaching?

(See article in this month's IKF) Gow Bo Toy and Sup Ba Mor Kiew only taught to closed door students? Has he been sniffing glue?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

hey ben were you been?

and why are you readin IKF, that rag has gone downhill and rapidly i might add.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Re: Has Eddie Chong's Sifu been inflating his teaching?

Originally posted by Ben Gash
    (See article in this month's IKF) Gow Bo Toy and Sup Ba Mor Kiew only taught to closed door students? Has he been sniffing glue?
    Is this true of other Bak Mei lineages or just the Fushan lineage?

Hello

Yes, in some cases only Sup bat mor kuil and mung fu chut lum is for closed door students.

FT

Hey KL, I browsed it on the newsstand
    Work's been busy and I've not been able to write a short email, nevermind a meaningful post
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Re: Has Eddie Chong's Sifu been inflating his teaching?

Originally posted by Ben Gash

Once again this is not true! Sigung Lau Xiu Luang had instructed Sifu Li Yang Jian to only teach Mor Kiew to selected people, people with good intentions, good hearts etc. This was because of Sigung's belief that Mor Kiew was to dangerous and could easily be misused. As for Gow Bo Toi, its not true at all. These forms are two of the three treasures of Futshan Bak Mei, but not only meant for close door (whatever he believes that means really) students. The level of instruction or depth of understanding is quite different between students and disciples though. Sifu Li has taught many many students but has only completely taught three people, and has only one disciple.

You cannot take what eddie says as what Sifu says, eddie is on his own path that is not in alignment with Sifu Li.
    Pacific Eskrima Academy
    Tacosa Cadena Eskrima

www.tacosa.com
    www.komudokwan.com/escrima.html

Futshan Bak Mei Pai Disciple of Sifu Li Yang Jian of Foshan China under Lau Xiu Luang Lineage, Buddhist Bak Mei!
    www.komudokwan.com/FutshanBakmeiPai.htm

Go,

I know that you have beef with Eddie, but on your website you say that you teach TKD, Eskrima, Hapkido and other styles. Do you teach exactly what your instructors taught you? Do you have your own interpretations of what was taught and shown to you? Isn't being a teacher mean having the foresite to make your own interpetations and seeing how best to pass on the knowledge that was handed down?

I've spoken to Eddie years ago (not about you) and he said that he saw how Fushan Bak Mei complements his Hong Kong and Fushan Wing Chun, and that's why he calls it "Chongs Wing Chun." It's based on his interpretation. It's no different than MMA. However, from what I was told, the Fushan systems (Wing Chun and Bak Mei) overlap and complement the Hong Kong system and thats the difference from what he is doing than from someone taking a piece of this system and a piece of that system and making an entirely new system. Eddie isn't trying to do that. Creating an entirely new Wing Chun system isn't what he's about. Its about building on his foundation and adding to it. But not to create a new sytle.

I'm not trying to feed a fire since i don't know you or Eddie personally. I'm just trying to figure out why there is so much politics in the Fushan Bak Mei camp. If you are both students of Sifu Li, what does he say about Eddie going on his own path? I'm sure Sifu Li knew what Eddie was going to do before he taught him Bak Mei, other wise, he wouldn't have accepted him as a student and taught him something that seems so close guarded. If Sifu Li is cool with it, shouldn't you be cool too? If you honor your releationship with your Sifu, just let it go and do your own thing and don't worry what Eddie is doing with his school.

People believe what they want to believe, but I am not worried, I only answered a question. So I am not too sure where you got the rest of your post or why you bring it up.
    Pacific Eskrima Academy
    Tacosa Cadena Eskrima

www.tacosa.com
    www.komudokwan.com/escrima.html

Futshan Bak Mei Pai Disciple of Sifu Li Yang Jian of Foshan China under Lau Xiu Luang Lineage, Buddhist Bak Mei!
    www.komudokwan.com/FutshanBakmeiPai.htm

Re: Re: Has Eddie Chong's Sifu been inflating his teaching?

Originally posted by Go Jun Long
    Once again this is not true! Sigung Lau Xiu Luang had instructed Sifu Li Yang Jian to only teach Mor Kiew to selected people, people with good intentions, good hearts etc. This was because of Sigung's belief that Mor Kiew was to dangerous and could easily be misused. As for Gow Bo Toi, its not true at all. These forms are two of the three treasures of Futshan Bak Mei, but not only meant for close door (whatever he believes that means really) students. The level of instruction or depth of understanding is quite different between students and disciples though. Sifu Li has taught many many students but has only completely taught three people, and has only one disciple.

You cannot take what eddie says as what Sifu says, eddie is on his own path that is not in alignment with Sifu Li.
    Heck, why don't you guys get together and talk this out?

a chinese saying

says something like:

2 scholars meet but each refuse to claim to be the best (#1)

2 martial artists meet and each claim to be the best (#1)

Its all about ego and $$$$$

Let them duke it out

If bakmei only has 3 original sets then why do they teach all this other stuff (lee ga etc.)?

its kind of like taisingpekkwa and almost no one learns the tai sing.

Originally posted by Go Jun Long
    People believe what they want to believe, but I am not worried, I only answered a question.
    I agree. I was more curious why there were problems. But if this forum isn't the place to talk about it, or if you just don't want to talk about it, I totally respect that and your privacy. If anything, there are too many politics in martial arts; people shouldn't worry about that and just focus on practicing.

Cheers,

Brody