Thread: Anyone heard of Chung I Chuan?

Anyone heard of Chung I Chuan?

Anyone heard of Chung I Chuan? Martial Arts Mart sells a video featuring this style and claims that it's practical, scientific, etc. There's a supposed teacher about an hour away and since I'm into internal stuff (ya think it's related to I Chuan?) I thought I may check it out. Anyone know where I can get more info?
    Bodhi Richards

It's not a bad video. It's a single simple form with applications taught for each move. A good one to add insite if nothing else.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Re: Anyone heard of Chung I Chuan?

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    Anyone heard of Chung I Chuan? Martial Arts Mart sells a video featuring this style and claims that it's practical, scientific, etc. There's a supposed teacher about an hour away and since I'm into internal stuff (ya think it's related to I Chuan?) I thought I may check it out. Anyone know where I can get more info?
    It is a stripped down version of baji taught to ROC army by Liu Yun Qiao.

I've got the vid and learned the form in a free lesson from a local Hung Gar teacher. It's basically a very easy to learn short beginer form made from simplified baji(like WM said) and a bit of Shaolin. Some cool applications, 4 short sections going in a line right to left and back, with the last two sections being a mirror image of the first two.

Is there more to the system than the form on the video? I thought Baji had more than one. Anyway the photo on the cover looked a little like beng chuan, so I was hoping for a hsing-i style. Oh well.
    Bodhi Richards

I don't think Chung-I-Chuan is officially Baji. As far as I know, it was a form created just for Taiwanese military basic training, something they could learn real fast. The next closest thing you'd find to it would be to check out baji vids from any of the Wu Tan people(Su Yu Zhang, Tony Yang, Adam Hsu, etc.)

The pic on the cover, I think, is a screen shot of the guy going through a basic training drill shifting between forward stances doing side punches(I think he's in horse stance getting ready to shift to bow stance and punch out again). Traditional Baji Quan is deeper with more forms, its own qigong, and other training.

Chung I Chuan

Don't forget O-mei Baji (as in Sifu Tony Chen).
    We had a thread going on Chung I Chuan but for the life of me, I can't remember which forum it was in and I don't have the time right now with the holiday rush to go a searchin'.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hmmm...

My understanding of the Chung I Chuan (Zhong Yi Quan in Pinyan) set was that it was comissioned by the International Chinese Kuoshu Federation (ICKF) and created by a Baji teacher that taught it to the Kuoshu member organizations. It was supposed to be a standardized set much like Lien Bu Chuan.

Lots of Baji flavor in it.

Huh. Well I'm going to have to go check out the guy in Roseburg now. His name's Shen. It would be cool if he's Taiwanese ex-military or something...

It would be funny if he's a teenage kid who learned the form from the tape...

Bodhi Richards

Its a rigged robot style .

Chung I Chuan

It's a real basic form. You could learn it from a tape quite easily.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene...

"It's a real basic form. You could learn it from a tape quite easily."

Story goes that that's one of the things that dissapointed several members of the ICKF commitee that comissioned the set when they saw the finished product.

Apparently the teacher that created the set took his time in creating (delaying) it and when the commitee pressed him he came up with Chung I Chuan.

When I first saw the set I thought "it's like Lien Bu Chuan but for the Baji style!"

Yup!