Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mono/glandular fever

Originally posted by IronFist
    Get a lot of good books to read, but if it's mono you won't feel like expending the energy to turn a page.
    Honestly, I don't feel sooo bad. I could probably do stuff, but I know I shouldn't. My wife OTOH has had a pretty bad time some days. I'm just starting, so it may get worse.
    You might want to try that "visualizing the lift" stuff.
    No, I actually want to do the lift. But I don't want my spleen to explode, so I won't . At least not for a month or so then I'll see how I'm feeling.
    Is your wife out of work? That's going to suck if you both are.
    Mate, she hasn't worked for 5 years now. She's got 3 kids under 5 to look after - that's hard enough. Actually, doing that has been pretty hard on her, because she can't rest and has to look after them no matter what. To top it all off she's been breastfeeding through it all which can't be helping her own system to stay strong and recover.
    Anyway, hopefully it's not mono.
    Yeah, me too. But it is. My wife had a +ve blood test like 2 weeks ago. Also, although she hasn't been letting me kiss her (dunno if that was because she knew it was mono or if she just didn't want me to kiss her ), I did let her taste a glass of super-expensive wine I'd opened plus I used her shot glass a few times after making wheatgrass. Both within the last month or so. That **** wheatgrass!
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Honestly, I don't feel sooo bad. I could probably do stuff, but I know I shouldn't. My wife OTOH has had a pretty bad time some days. I'm just starting, so it may get worse.
    I hope it's not mono either, for your sake. I had it a few years ago, developed a sinus infection on top of it, and wasn't really the same for about 6 months. I know my first couple of weeks with it, I felt like I could still somewhat do stuff, but the last few weeks, the fatigue really hit me HARD. Just getting up and going to the bathroom would wear me out.

I think I was out of work for 4 weeks, and didn't get my full strength back for about 3-4 months. I also lost 30 lbs. because I couldn't eat much (due to the nasty sore throat).

Best of luck.

Well, the weekend's finished and I did do stuff. I did carpentry - built a rack for wheatgrass trays and did some work on my wooden dummy. I can't be that bad, 'cause I managed to burn out the motor on my 5mth old angle grinder. Obviously my body's in better shape than the angle grinder . Yesterday my mid-section was definitely funny all day, and today too to a lesser extent. Guess that's the liver and spleen making themselves known. So abdominal work is out, so is deadlift and squat. Heavy bench too. Pullups? maybe. Forearm work? maybe. MA training? I'm gunna so super slo-mo forms and stuff and try and concentrate on techniques/skills at home. I won't attend any classes for a while, but I might go in every now and then and try and get some technique updates.

Last night I had a coughing fit when I went to bed. I went late (11pm) which was a bad idea, but I coughed for about an hour before I fell asleep. I don't think I'm gunna visit the doc, since I'm 95% sure it's what I've got. Glands remain swollen, flu-like symptoms and my wife's +ve blood test are what's convinced me. That and the fact that I rarely get sick for more than a day (and rarely even that - once a year maybe). It's 6 days now.

This'll just mean more time for stuff I haven't done in a while. I usually train every night, so now I'll just read some books, tie some flies, make lots of juice, etc. Hopefully I don't get super bad like everyone tells me. Thanks for the well-wishing everyone.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

toby -- i do have to say that if you get any bad tummy problems, go see a doc. i almost lost my brother due to mono, and even though he recovered, they thought his spleen was gone. a couple years later, they noticed something in a scan -- turns out his spleen sorta grew back. go figure.

anyhoo, get checked out if your midsection starts to do the dance de la ouch.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

What is this +ve test you keep mentioning? Some sort of mono test?

If I remember correctly, mono comes on slowly. When I got it I kept trying to work out at first, which at the time in high school meant pushups and situps, cuz I thought those were the only two exercises there were Or maybe I'm thinking of after I had mono and it took a while to go away and I was trying to work out too soon. I don't remember.

You can use this time to brush up on your American measurement system knowledge.

How many feet in a mile?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

You can use this time to brush up on your American measurement system knowledge.
    That would be the ENGLISH measurement system then...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    get checked out if your midsection starts to do the dance de la ouch.
    Just felt like DOMS a couple of days after exercise. Same today - weak, not so much sore, but not 100%.
    What is this +ve test you keep mentioning? Some sort of mono test?
    +ve == Toby's lazy way of typing "positive". Meaning she had a blood test and it came back +ve for glandular fever.
    Hey, I'm calling it mono for your sake - that's enough for now .

I just rode my bike to uni. Took it easy, so probably 18min ride or so. It felt hard, but whether that was psychosomatic, due to not riding or exercising for almost a week, or due to mono I don't yet know. Definitely didn't feel 100% though.