Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those that have learned more then one WC lineage

I have studied 2 different systems of wing chun
    In order for me too fully appreciate what the new one had to offer, I had to totally empty my tea cup and stop looking at it from the previous systems viewpoint.
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

The difference is not always in the student or the tea cup, much beloved answer-all it may be. Sometimes a good teacher makes the difference.

If you've climbed half-way up the mountain, yet find the need to learn a different way to climb up the remaining half, you can either climb back down, learn the new way, and hope you ultimately make it to the end faster than you would have before, even counting the back track.

Or, you can make specific changes as you continue climbing on towards the top.

Not all coaches are good enough to teach this way, and not all students are apt enough to learn this way, but when you have the combination, instead of emptying out your tea cup and wasting all the time and ingredients that went into brewing what you had, you can chemically alter it to a better tasting brew right there in the same cup.

No one said forget what you've learned by emptying your tea cup.
    what I was trying to communicate that any previous bias needs to be addressed before you can truly understand something different.

but I do agree with you on the good teacher comment.
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

Originally posted by reneritchie
    The difference is not always in the student or the tea cup, much beloved answer-all it may be. Sometimes a good teacher makes the difference.

If you've climbed half-way up the mountain, yet find the need to learn a different way to climb up the remaining half, you can either climb back down, learn the new way, and hope you ultimately make it to the end faster than you would have before, even counting the back track.

Or, you can make specific changes as you continue climbing on towards the top.

Not all coaches are good enough to teach this way, and not all students are apt enough to learn this way, but when you have the combination, instead of emptying out your tea cup and wasting all the time and ingredients that went into brewing what you had, you can chemically alter it to a better tasting brew right there in the same cup.
    Yes, after the new material has been learned, then you can concoct any thing you chose...

James

Cool

...and make a nice pumpkin pie for the holidays.

Hmmm, let's see. Between Alan Lamb, Duncan Leung/Alan Lee, Lee Moy Shan, Henry Leung, Moy Yat, (one Sifu from the mainland whose name I don't remember), and William Cheung. I see different teachers takes on the same thing.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr