Page 90 of 102 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Is "Five Animals" that Shaolin Kempo offers considered Kung Fu? Can anyone at least lead me into the right direction into what to look for in a Kung Fu school? Tried Ed Parker, nothing wrong but for some reason I want a traditional chinese art. If you research Chan Tai San you come up with very little and instructors are in NYC and Plainview (which is not bad). Shaolin Kempo is closer and has good schedule if its actually Kung Fu. I called and they said it has a mix.

you are OFF TOPIC

take it someplace else
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I did. I started another topic where someone was actually helpful. Thanks anyway. Sorry to get in the way of your important stuff Im just looking for Kung Fu information. I'll call the Choy Lay Fut/Lama Pai instructor in Plainview and ask directly. Just didnt want to waste anyone's time. Sorry for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    back on topic.....

Chan Tai San

"Lo han Sai Sin"

Here are a couple more that look like they were taken at the same time.
    Richard Chow

My School
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KFNOOB View Post
    I did. I started another topic where someone was actually helpful. Thanks anyway. Sorry to get in the way of your important stuff Im just looking for Kung Fu information. I'll call the Choy Lay Fut/Lama Pai instructor in Plainview and ask directly. Just didnt want to waste anyone's time. Sorry for the post.
    you cannot ask questions here without some people becoming belligerent.

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg View Post
    I speak for many when I say people are tired of trolls

I speak for many when I say that people don't want to see spamming the forum with obvious attempts to promote a school

I speak for many when I say that people are tired of threads being hijacked by BS

For those of us in Chan Tai San's lineage, we can't help but laugh at your pathetic attempts to "share with us" all that experience that Rafael supposedly had with Chan Tai San. If that is indeed what he is telling you. If indeed that is what he is "selling", what a shame.....

Sifu Chow,

Thanks, I lost those pics. Glad to have them back! Chyuhn Choih and Cham Sau!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by goldberg View Post
    then I guess that it's just time for you and your friend to move on, right?

Found decent school I think that's not Lama Pai. So I'll compare it to the Lama school in Plainview and report back. Thanks for info.

[QUOTE=cjurakpt;831582]then I guess that it's just time for you and your friend to move on, right?[/Q

get a job

Found decent school I think that's not Lama Pai. So I'll compare it to the Lama school in Plainview and report back. Thanks for info.
    we don't care, and it has nothing to do with this thread, so run along and stop posting here

maybe you and "goldberg" can go play in traffic or something

OK David, you dont think I know that you are Goldberg? Please, give us some credit. it's obvious.

OK David, you dont think I know that you are Goldberg? Please, give us some credit. it's obvious.
    FAIL.... but thanks for trying, in a desperate sort of way

PS: you don't know me, and you don't have a profile filled out, so don't call me David. You can call me SIFU ROSS.... or, if I'm feeling good, maybe "sir"

The first time I saw Chan Tai San, I didn't even know who he was, much less that I'd spend a good part of my life with him. I had heard some rumblings about him around Chinatown, particularly during the brief period I was lion dancing with the Dragon style people since Chan tai San was teaching some Bak Mei and some of the Lung Ying people had sought him out to learn it. The rumblings were mixed, and at the time I wasn't really that interested in finding a teacher. I was pretty much teaching my mixture of Hung Ga and Shuai Jiao, with some boxing and assorted other stuff I had picked up. I never really imagined how meeting him would shape my life so much.

I was sitting in tin Yik, a restaraunt that no longer exists (and sadly so, it was a real landmark, at the turn of the century Sun Yat Sen had tea there while collecting money for his cause in NY). It was a little place, and mostly Chinese. But I managed to order my ha jeung (shrimp in rice noodle tube) and my coffee and it was the sort of place that if you sat and BS'ed they didn't care.

Old Chinese men arguing was nothing strange here, but one old guy was louder than the rest. He then suddenly stood up and proceeded to run through a line of movement. Now, I know it was bak Mei, at the time I just knew it was some sort of Kung Fu. Sifu Chan was already in his 60's by the time this happened, yet he moved as if he was an active student in his 20's!

After demonstrating the movement, he apparently must have felt he proved his point. The guy he was arguing with sort of put his head down, and Sifu Chan actually slapped his forehead. As I would later learn, Sifu Chan when it came to martial arts was ALWAYS right, and he wasn't shy about telling you, showing you and pointing it out afterwards.

At this point, Steve ventura, who was eating with me, had pulled our friend the waiter over. He was a man I'd get to know over the years and call "uncle". I didn't know either at the time, but he was a relative of Sifu Chan's. He did Taiji and Tan Teui (spring legs) in the part every morning. His Taiji was his own synthetic form, he'd studied with like 20 different guys including version of yang, chen, wu, hao and li...

Anyway, my "uncle" as I would learn to call him, told us he was a famous teacher who had just arrived from China recently. He told us the name, which only sort of stuck, we were dumb lo faan who didn't speak Chinese at the time. But he also told us he spoke no English and wasn't exactly interviewing for students. A little crest fallen, I figured it wasn't mean to be.... of coure, I was wrong

The same month I saw Chan Tai San in Tin Yik, Stephen Laurette came to me and Steve Ventura and asked us if we wanted to meet this old teacher he had studied with the year before. Laurette said that he'd lost track of the guy, but he had bumped into him the other day on the street and gotten his new address.

I met Stephen Laurette when I was doing Shuai Jiao with Jeng Hsin Ping. Laurette was an extremely skilled 7 Star Praying Mantis person, and also quite a scholar. He had studied with Sifu Chiu Leun in Chinatown for many years. Laurette had picked up quite a lot of Cantonese, and also could read and write pretty well. Like a lot of guys in TCMA, he wanted to learn more of the applications. For that reason, he decided to study Shuai Jiao to compliment his Mantis.

I had read the Shuai Jiao articles over the years and liked the idea of wrestling the "kung fu way". I had done western wrestling and Hapkido, in addition to the Hung ga Kahm Na (Qin Na or Chin-Na). When I saw a flyer for Shuai Jiao lessons in NYC, I jumped at the opportunity and also found my way to the lower eastside, where I met Laurette.

Honestly, I grabbed Laurette the first day because he was the biggest guy there. I figured if I could learn to throw him, I could learn to throw anyone! But we ended up getting along for more than that. Laurette was always up to learn something new, and we ended up exchainging Mantis and Hung Ga over the years as well as doing Shuai Jiao together...

Laurette had met Chan tai San because Sifu Chan's wife was Chiu Leun's cousin. That's just the way stuff worked in Chinatown those days. Laurette found Sifu Chan strange, to say the least, but could appreciate that he had stuff that apparently NO ONE else had... Sifu Chiu had told Laurette that Sifu Chan was a unique guy... that was true on many levels.

Laurette had studied Lama with Sifu Chan for about 8 months and then Sifu Chan left NY. He had gone back to Toronto, Canada for a while. I won't tell you why now, some other time maybe...

When I met Laurette, he'd mentioned Sifu Chan to me, but since he wasn't in NYC, it never was much of an issue. Then he came up to Steve Ventura and I and said that he'd just bumbed into Sifu Chan on the street and that if we wanted to meet him, he'd set up a meeting...

Here is the real kicker to this. At the time, I was teaching Hung Ga and Shuai Jiao. I'd done some Mantis, some dragon, a bunch of stuff, but I was pretty happy with what I was doing. I had no real desire to learn a new method. But I had one problem, the version of Hung Ga we did only had the 4 core forms. There were all long, and none were really fancy or pretty....

When I first asked to meet Sifu Chan, my initial desire was just to learn some pretty forms! That's pretty f-in ironic in the long term...

We arranged to bring Sifu Chan to the space I was using for my own classes. Laurette translated. Sfu Chan asked if we would pay him $80 per month for lessons. He'd come a few times a week and teach us what we wanted. I forget the hows and whys, but Steve Ventura originally asked to learn Choy Lay Fut. Laurette and I decided to do Lama. Actually, I think Laurette had asked for a particular set already, Siu Lo Han.

Sifu Chan liked Laurette because he had studied a very real kung fu system (7 star) for a very long time. He didn't have to explain a horse stance, he didn't have to teach him how to throw a punch. Sifu Chan was like that, he liked to work with guys who already had skills. He would of course take money from any one who had it, he made his living from teaching. But the reality was also that if you studied with him and were clueless, you often got quite jerked around. And Chan Tai San knew your story in 5 minutes or less, the first few movements and he pegged you, worthy student or just rice bag...

Steve Ventura and I were also not exactly clueless beginners. We were both already intructor level in Hung ga (I had 6 years of training I think at the time, Ventura close to 10). Ventura had trained with teh Beijing Wushu Team in Beijing already, and was a champion forms player. We were also black belts in TKD and Hapkido. I'd done mantis, dragon, some white crane, shuai jiao, etc...

I think in 5 minutes everyone knew what the deal was. Ventura and I realized we had just stumbled upon something unique. Sifu Chan started showing us moves just to see if we could do them. Then we started talking applications.... the rest was really just history....

6 months from the date this started, I closed my Hung Ga classes and dedicated myself exclusively to Sifu Chan. The upswing for Sifu Chan was that everyoen I was training (about 15 at the time) became HIS students... We also began to advertise sifu Chan publicly, the first time anyone had done that for him.

Gus is Sifu. Rafael is Sifu. Steve is Sifu. Mike is Sifu. You are a forum king bashing old training brothers. Have you received the official "Bullshido" decision on Gus yet or are you STILL trying to prove your case trying to bash him?

As one of your trainings brothers said "this is an embarrasment".

Have a nice day David!