I got so used to this sort of thing, it became auto pilot. One time, I showed up at the school of a famous Chinatown Sifu. My sifu was teaching this Chinese guy. I assumed he must be a senior student who the famous teacher wanted to get some extra stuff for. I can't tell you how many big name teachers in the US paid my sifu to come and give them some extra stuff. The list is LONG and is BIG NAMES...

Well, Sifu Chan hands him off to me like always. Like always, I proceed, in Cantonese. Prior to this, every time I taught, I was teaching guys who only spoke Cantonese. I went on for about an hour....

At the end of this hour, I head the guy, in English ask me, "uh, do you speak English?"

Poor guy, never had the courage to speak up before this. Apparently, he was ABC and didn't speak Chinese. His sifu had set up the appointment, he'd shown up, been first confronted with Sifu Chan, then me! I'd rambled on for an hour in Cantonese, not one word of English... Poor bastaaaaaadddd had no idea what was going on...