Page 48 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Smile

To Mr. Jurak,
    THanks for the response.It answered my question very well.
    The practice of tu mo (inner heat) and pwo wa (ejection of conciousnes) are part of the 6 yogas done in retreat that these before mentioned exercises are to help facilitate.
    And I am glad you mentioned the reason why these are so secret,because they can be very dangerous to the practitioner bolth phyicaly and mentaly.
    Also,they have to be practiced w/ the proper motivation.The basis for these practices have a very deep and wide scope.

To Sifu Ross,
    I have met a few tibetans, mostly monks and scholar egg head
    types.
    I aske the scholar friend about tibetan MAs and he sead he nver heard of it especialy MAs practiced by ordained monks.
    But,
    there is this part of eastern tibet,close to the chinnese border called Kham.
    The people of Kham are known to be very feirce and the area is infested w/
    bandits(or gangsters as we call them in the U.S.) The people of Kham also
    love to hear stories and songs of King Gesar of Ling,a very famous and powerful
    warrior who is part history and part myth.Gesars battles and fights are graphically
    portrayed in in volumes and volumes of stories and songs that Khampas just eat
    up. So now if a systemized form of MA were to come out of Tibet,
    I think Kham would be the perfect breeding gruond.
    There may have been more but a lot of Tibeten culture was
    destroyed durring the chinnese invasion in 1959 and the following persecution
    of anything ethnically tibetan.Thousands of monastaries and temples destroyed
    and the torture and execution of millions of people.
    By the way it was those rambunctious Khampas that lead the
    resitence during the short war.
    The CHAM dance done by monks during Losar and other special
    days may look like CMA ,but you really got to use your imagination.
    Tibetans always stike me as a very straight forward kind of folks.
    If they are praying,they are really sincerely praying,if they are fighting they are really sincerely trying to kill you.
    Respectfully Yeshe
    Last edited by yeshe; 07-04-2005 at 06:15 PM.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Thumbs up Great Clips

It's a great movie, Shaolin vs. Lama. Too bad the KF in it has nothing to do with the Lama Style.

The question is "why would ROT think there would be? "

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    It's a great movie, Shaolin vs. Lama. Too bad the KF in it has nothing to do with the Lama Style.

yeah its a great movie. too bad the lama guy as jsut a lama monk he was trained at shaolin!! mwuahahaha the irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Mr.Jurak
    I left a PM in your mailbox
    Yeshe
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

CHANGE OF DATE
    Chan Tai San memmorial banquet

In honor of the birthday of the late Master Chan Tai San, his disciples will offer the annual Chan Tai San memmorial banquet SUNDAY, November 6, 2005 in New York City. Tickets will include the dinner and performances of Lama Pai, Choy Lay Fut and Hung Kuen by disciples of Chan Tai San and their students.

If you are interested in tickets please send an email to LKFMDC@att.net with the subject line "CTS banquet"

A memorial book will also be issued at that time, if you are interested in sponsorship or advertising send email to LKFMDC@att.net with the subject "SPONSOR"

Much thanks
    David Ross
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 07-11-2005 at 11:08 AM.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

update update!

More stories!!! What styles did sifu chan find hardest to fight against or did he just bulldoze through every contender?

Stories

I don't recall my Sifu ever mentioning that a specific style was hardest to fight, however, he did have quite a difficult time when he first fought Mok Jing Kiu, the head of the Mok Ga system.

It turns out that Sifu Chan was about 40 years old at the time and quite an accomplished MA expert. He had learned CLF, Hung Kuyhnn and Bok Mei (probably a dozen other as well) and he was selling medicine in a local town. Not a shop per se, but probably at a town square or person to person.

Many of the townspeople tried attempted to disuade him from selling medicine because of the Mok Ga School. Apparently, they sold medicine too, and this Chinese town wasn't big enough for the two of them!

Anyway, as it goes, Sifu Chan was 'invited' into the Mok Ga school and was 'invited' again, to spar with the students. He said that he has sparred approximatly 20-40 students and beat them all. At that time Mrs. Mok Jing Kiu appreared and asked him if she could participate. Having sparred with his late-wife hundreds of times and knowing full well how good she was, Chan Tai-San had no problem 'fighting' with a woman.

The next part is probably the funniest and most frightening: My sifu told me that "She hit me with a technique, that I to this day, cannot identify, and she hit me so hard in my kidney's that I didn't want to fight anymore."

For anyone who knew my teacher well, he was covered in scars from fights, weapons and guns. He was a very tough guy. For him to say that he didn't want to fight anymore, is very out of character for him.

Needless to say, Sifu Chan stayed in town and trained under Mok Jing Kiu for the next three years.

Several years later, on her deathbed, she requested his prescence at her side. He sat with her for the last 3 days of her life as she talked to him about the Mok Family Style.

I love this story, I hope you enjoyed it!

I had posted the Mok Ga story earlier but in this monster of a thread it is hard to find stuff now

What was remarkable about sifu was that his stories were always about him getting beat... the stories of his victories I almost all heard from others... consider that for a while ......
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

that's awesome.

Any idea which particular styles sifu chan felt were effective and which ones were not?

P.s. Until today I was under the impression that the mok gar founder was a guy.

Thumbs up Mok ga

I didn't say that Mok Jing Kiu was the founder, she was just the head of the style at the time.

I'm glad you liked the story.

Sifu Chan didn't care much for Wing Chun (as it is practiced in this country) but he liked Karate! He basically thought that all styles were good, it depends on the guy.

He studied styles that he thought were of value to him. Styles such as Hung Kuyhnn, Choy Lay Fut, Bok Mei, Lama Pai, Mok Ga, Ngok Fei Pai, Bok Pai (various Northern Styles, Cha Kuyhnn, etc.) Hung Fut, Tai Chi, Ba Gwa, Law May Pai, Lau Ga, Choi Ga, Fut Ga were all styles which he actively taught to his students and disciples.

I don't beleive that any of his Students documented all the styles he knew or received any kind of list. I don't know how much Praying Mantis he knew (he knew some) or other styles. I do know that he always seemed to have a form or two on the top of his head everytime a style was mentioned. So, although he never taught us the "dragon style" he could demonstrate a form if he was asked.

Like I said, I don't know how many, but it seems like he knew any style we could ever think of. It was more appropriate for us to ask not 'what styles he knew', but 'what styles didn't he know.'

Oh, and check for a thread on a Lama Pai Seminar I'm hosting in November in New York. I'll paste the link next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    I understand your position. But I also have bills and an injury isn't fun for anyone.

As far as your offer, I would definitely take you up on that in a little while. I've learned that you get one shot, really, at any significant level. So I'm going to wait, train some more, learn some more, get experience and then do something like that. Right now I'm on a similiar but different mission.

As far as styles and respect and your fighters. You definitely have good fighters. And it seems like your master was a good fighter too. But they aren't on here disrespecting me and I am not Moashan or Black Taoist. They aren't me and they aren't my style.

What I'm talking about is YOU and ME. You say you don't respect me but I'm not the one talking down to you on one hand and ducking my come-up-ence on the other hand.

You let me know what you want to do.
    you should challenge black taoist, I bet he'd fight you. He accepts and fights challenges just as quickly as you do if not more so, plus he also has a school in NY city which is where you are right?

I wonder how funny he'd think it is if I just showed up one day and challenged him in front of all his students? Not to play or spar, but to try and feed each other our forearms at full power and then kick his head in until he taps.... would that be funny?
    how would you do it? would you storm into his school like in a old school kung fu movie and beat up some of his students at the entrance before you got to him?

Try to make me look bad. But I have not insulted your master -- he would have met me in the park two days ago. You know that and so do I.
    he would also make you sign a death warrant before the fight and kill you in a single hit with his dim mak.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    I didn't say that Mok Jing Kiu was the founder, she was just the head of the style at the time.

I'm glad you liked the story.

Sifu Chan didn't care much for Wing Chun (as it is practiced in this country) but he liked Karate! He basically thought that all styles were good, it depends on the guy.

He studied styles that he thought were of value to him. Styles such as Hung Kuyhnn, Choy Lay Fut, Bok Mei, Lama Pai, Mok Ga, Ngok Fei Pai, Bok Pai (various Northern Styles, Cha Kuyhnn, etc.) Hung Fut, Tai Chi, Ba Gwa, Law May Pai, Lau Ga, Choi Ga, Fut Ga were all styles which he actively taught to his students and disciples.

I don't beleive that any of his Students documented all the styles he knew or received any kind of list. I don't know how much Praying Mantis he knew (he knew some) or other styles. I do know that he always seemed to have a form or two on the top of his head everytime a style was mentioned. So, although he never taught us the "dragon style" he could demonstrate a form if he was asked.

Like I said, I don't know how many, but it seems like he knew any style we could ever think of. It was more appropriate for us to ask not 'what styles he knew', but 'what styles didn't he know.'

Oh, and check for a thread on a Lama Pai Seminar I'm hosting in November in New York. I'll paste the link next time.
    did he have any secret styles that he kept hidden and only taught to one disciple?

Secret Styles

He did teach his students different things, and differently, depending on their abilities. I don't know that any of my classmates learned anything like a 'secret style.' I'm sure there are some cool things that my teacher died without teaching us though.

We'll never know.