Page 49 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Also it wouldn't be a seceret style if everyone knew about it

Secret Styles

Sifu Chan has a few specialities when it came to KF. Not just the styles he taught, but specific skills. He was the god of martial arts when it came to two things, his staff fighting and his claw skills. Both these skills he claimed were taught to him by his main teacher, Jyu Jik Chuyhnn. For anyone who as ever been taught a technique by Sifu Chan, then will always mention his fingers, "Iron Pins" we used to call them. His fingers has the ambiltiy to always find the point or the nerve. And when he grabbed you,...you were grabbed.

His staff work was even more impressive. His senior students learned to manipulate a staff (any long weapon for that matter) in such a way,...I have never seen anyone else do it quite like him. His applications, his subtle manipulations of the staff,..they were masterful. A small handful of his students really learned the essence of his staff techniques. If anyone every has a chance to learn a form from one of them, I suggest you do so.

In simple terms "yeah, what Mike just said"

Sifu's fingers were incredibly strong, he could grab you in a way that was really hard to imagine if you never felt it...

His staff was simply untouchable and those of us who were lucky enough to get it, are blessed....

I've told the staff sparring story many times, 100% true but really just a tribute to how good Chan Tai San was.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

which of his students inherited the grab?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    my turn...

I believe I originally described his fingers on you as feeling lie hard iron pins giving hot electric shocks; I've never had the same experience beig grabed by any other martialartis - I would say the only comparable individual I've experienced was BP Chan - when he grabbed you you also felt grabbed, but the quality was much different - but in both cases, you had a sense of not only being grabbed locally, but in totallity; to me, this explains why Sifu Chan was able to lock so well - and why I will never be nowhere nearly as good in that area, because I have never trained the claw skill the way he did;
    why not? are you too old to start now? also who is BP chan? the guy whot eaches tai chi but his san learns mt/kickboxing to fight in san shou?

Grabbing Techniques

I'm not sure which student 'inherited' his claw/grabbing skills. I can do some pretty incredible feats of strength when it come to clawing skill. I'm also 90lbs heavier than my teacher as well. I'll post some pics demonstrating some stuff, kissing a sledgehammer, 2 finger push ups (not the thumb mind you, the first two fingers), breaking boards with just fingertips (like snake strike) gripping two 45lbs. weight plates with just my fingers (in each hand), holding 2.5 or 5 gallon jars filled with liquid) with a claw etc. These are all skills I have developed from the teachings of Grandmaster Chan Tai-San.

Quote Originally Posted by ReignOfTerror
    which of his students inherited the grab?
    I did, I then bronzed it and put it on top of my fireplace, it's next to the stuffed corpse of Sing Lung, and above the dry cleaning bill Wong Yan Lam had after the challenge matches

I honestly don't think ANY of us has Sifu's grip... but it is all relative, my BJJ friends hate no gi rolling with me, they have bruises on their arms usually from where I hold them....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Back to CTS related matters, I found some more pics that I will scan later, I'll upload them here for you guys, including sifu doing some joint locking

Some pics of sifu doing some Kahm Na (Chin Na) and some old sparring pics...

here are some group shots and various stuff

Pics

Hey, I don't even have the ones with me in them!

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc
    Some pics of sifu doing some Kahm Na (Chin Na) and some old sparring pics...
    you guys actually sparred? and did it look like kickboxing?

Iron Claw/ Grip

I know it was mentioned before about the sinkers on finger and a couple other exercises

but are there any more drills / exercises can sahre on developing an iron claw / grip like an eagle talon! grip and got them on 1 knee and in pain type of gripping gungs anyone can share? interested in such gungs,

thanks

Thumbs up Sparing

Of course we sparred. And no, it didn't look like kickboxing!

Michael

ROT is just a troll, best thing to do is totally ignore him. He won't get it. To him kung fu has to be tiny weasal death claws and dim mak points. To him what we did probably is his definition of "kick boxing"

I certainly remember lots of punches and kicks, along with sweeps and throws. I never remember dancing in a circle calling out the names of movements before attacking.....