Page 54 of 102 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Remembering that your teacher is human....
    Isn't that the truth.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Put up some new pictures today www.angelfire.com/ny/sanshou/lamanewpics.html
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Those crane apps are exactly the same as what I was taught in my northern stuff.

thanks for sharing.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

That's cool stuff, thanks.

The first few remind me of Isshinryu Naihanchi, and the last of one of our basic exercises.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    Here are some new pics, or should I say; 'newly posted pics' of Grandmaster Chan Tai-San. They are some of the last pics of him in full uniform (maybe the last) and they are from 1995/6.

New Pics of Grandmaster CTS

If you look on this page, you'll see some video clips as well.

Grandmaster CTS page

Enjoy!
    Great links you guys

I have a request, would someone tell me the order of moves CTS is performing in the Lama Pai Basics video?...I'm trying to watch parts of it on repeat repitatively and since the vid gets choppy......I start to zone out

just watched it slowly by hitting pause mad quick...in the beginning after the bowstance budda prayer, he does a crown gaurd and upcut, then goes into a hand wave motion and does that a few times....what is that technique?.
    peace

video

Unfortunatly, that video clip is messed up! It was from an old video (1990) that did not stand the test of time. I had it in a box with all the other vids and it is the only one that got screwed up. I will ask my other classmates if anyone has the same one (better copy).

Glad you liked it though.

I'll put up some more soon..

This thread is worthy.

ttt
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

While Mike was surprised to learn this, I wasn't in the slightest. Sifu always taught hands up, up on the balls of your feet, and jab your way in

I knew he had "played" or fought some western boxers, wasn't aware he had done any sanctioned matches though until Mike came back recently...

Sifu's entry into boxing is probably the best story though. He lost the first match, saying he had trouble with the gloves....

Now listen kids, because this is quite relevant to some related BS going on here...

Sifu said, "fine" and set up another match A WEEK LATER with the same guy. He had simply never put on gloves before and said they "felt funny", but a week with a pair was enough to get the feel

IN the second bout, sifu was doing fine, except was cautioned for hitting behind the head (rabbit punching). Apparently, and Mike didn't get the whole story, the referee even stepped in, held sifu's hands, and that's when the guy landed a hard shot that KO'd sifu....

It is possible the referee was favoring the other guy, or just a bad referee... but it certainly wasn't very fair... regardless, sifu returned to teh ring many more times, including being part of a three man team that represented Toi San at the provincials

(it might be nice is someone made this thread "sticky")

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I kind of want to keep this thread alive, and better yet, since Mike came back from China we have some new info on the lineage....

Some of the real shocks were;;

1. To learn that while Jyu Chyuhn (our si gung) knew Lama and taught it to Chan Tai San, no one else seems to have learned it? Kind of weird. Even Jyu Chyuhn's son didn't learn it!

2. The "green cloud" (we now know it is actually "clear cloud") monastery where sifu was raised is actually famous in the south as the temple some Shaolin monks who fled the buring of the Fukien temple ended up taking refuge at, ie it has always been a center for martial arts

3. Jyu Chyuhn was originally a Hung Kuen guy

4. Choy Lay Fut master Chan Sai Mo is still alive!!!!

"2. The "green cloud" (we now know it is actually "clear cloud") monastery where sifu was raised is actually famous in the south as the temple some Shaolin monks who fled the buring of the Fukien temple ended up taking refuge at, ie it has always been a center for martial arts"

So is any training still going on there? If so do you know what kind?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Clear cloud

There seems to be much confusion on this subject. I don't disagree it is now called the Clear cloud ,but Sifu Chan tai san always called it Green cloud. When dealing with Chinese dialect it's all lost in translation. Many Monestarys also change names just like businesses chane names for different reasons but are the same coorporation. Here is the deal, you have hung sing bock sing tsoy lei fat and now we have Green cloud tsoy li fat notice how I type Choy lee fut different every time. Who really cares everyone knows what I mean it's all symantics. Anyway rumor has it the Clear cloud monestary is no longer. Hmm could that have something to do with the Chinese government??? Na it couln't be

Just to clarify for anyone who is reading;

The character for "Green" and the character for "Clear" are almost identical (except for the 'water' radical used in clear). We made a mistake almost 20 years ago. It was never Green Cloud. The two words are also ****phones (except for a slight tonal difference). My classmates and I always assumed it was Green, because some mistakenly translated it as such a long time ago, that's it.

My classmates and I used to call our version of Choy Lay Fut (again, what WE called it, no one else) "Green Cloud CLF" because it was distinctly different (same stuff that everyone else has, but with additional content) from everyone else's versions/lines. There are many reasons why it is different, but mostly because of the influx of many martial arts as taught at that temple. In essence, we have Hung Kuyhnn, Mok Ga and Fut Ga in our CLF as well. That doesn't mean it better or worse than everyone else's,....just different. I learned quite a bit about some of these distinctions on a recent visit to China.

All in all, we now realize that there is no "Green Cloud Temple". We misunderstood our Sifu. He never wrote the word "Green" and never said the word "Green." Bottom line though, it doesn't matter what you call it, it's still our style.

It turns out that there is no longer a temple called "Clear Cloud." The temple buildings have been destroyed and the local vegetation has covered the area.

As a side and addition, sifu always said it was all Choy Lay Fut as long as it had the "fist seeds" like kahp, so, jong, haut, pon, chapp, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc
    2. The "green cloud" (we now know it is actually "clear cloud") monastery where sifu was raised is actually famous in the south as the temple some Shaolin monks who fled the buring of the Fukien temple ended up taking refuge at, ie it has always been a center for martial arts
    So....you are actually Shaolin-Do?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.