Page 60 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Hey wasss up, what are you guys talkin about man

more stories

Ttt!!!!!!!

Yes!
    There must be more Chan Tai San stories.... Please !!!!
    These are what brought me here ( the KF Mag forums) in the first place!

-DS

one of the forum member has speculated that lama might be a derivative of the tong bei style or the two style might have a common origin.

Since Master Chan did a lot of travelling, he must have come acrossed tong bei. Did he mention anything about the similarity and difference between the tong bei and lama system?

As far as the Tong Bei I have seen, there is really no similarity at all to Maht Jong Lama Pai. Just as in other styles, there are techniques in common, but as far as strategy, fighting principles, fist seeds, no commonality at all.

Sifu Chan was familiar with the Tong Bei style. He never mentioned any connection that I know of. However, I am not extremely familiar with the origins or the history of the TB style.

Lama doesn't actually come from the area we now think of as Tibet, it comes from what is now Qinghai province.... it was a region where Tibetans, Manchurians, Mongolians and Ethnic Han Chinese all mingled together.... Lama is very much a collection of their influences... so there is some Chinese (Han) long hand in there... but it has changed when fused together and over time

I studied Pek Gwa with YC Wong.... similar techniques, totally different approach strategy and application wise.... I've also seen some of the Tong Bei that made it's way into 7 Star Mantis.... more similar to the Pek Gwa, not very Lama like at all
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

As Lama Pai Sifu gets ready for his 2nd trip to China, we are excited at the idea that he may return with pictures of Chan Tai San as a young man!!!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Dave.

With all the experiences and hardships that he had gone through I don't thing he ever was a young anything.

Hard life, hard core

lama pai sifu and coach ross:

what about lama pai and ba gua?

a student of steve richards i talked to told me that his teacher felt that there was a lot of similarities due to both being taught in the imperial palace

There are influences of bat ga in lama but Lama, but I wouldn't compare the two.

The styles energy is very different.

Lama and Baat Gwa

I agree. We have Baat Ga type techinques and concepts in Lama, but there are really no similarities whatsoever.

yeah i was wondering because gong style ba gua is very "lohan chuan" oriented.

UPPN

I noticed Sifu Parrella has some Lama video up on his site, which pleases me...It's good to finnally see something that looks like the Hop Gar I do!. Can I get a copy of that video series Mr. Ross & Parrella?. Also when is application 8 going to be put online, and how is the CTS book going?.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    There are influences of bat ga in lama but Lama, but I wouldn't compare the two.
    Yeah, I wouldn't say this. Based upon studying bagua applications, and the photos that are up there of Lama styles, and white crane styles, I wouldn't agree with that at all. They are definitely different, but to say they are totally unconnected doesn't seem correct either. It's hard to figure out how somebody moves from just pictures but a lot of the applications and postures seem the same. The forms are definitely different, though.

Oh, nevermind, it doesn't look like your Lama is what I was talking about (http://www.nykungfu.com/school/LamaPaiKung-Fu.asp).

This is what I was talking about. http://lionsroar.name/
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 04-25-2006 at 04:28 PM.