Page 87 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Here's a blast from the past, about 19 years ago to be exact.

Sifus Dave Ross and Michael Parrella
    there's a fine example of how even "way back then" we were focussed on fighting and sparring technique

(I swear Mike photoshoped in that bad mustache on me, I never wore one of those LOL)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Here's an old one of Dave, I bet he doesn't even have this one anymore. It's from the mid 80's. I'm guessing he's about 17/18 years old here.

Dave Ross
    I am 17 in that pic (which explains the dinosaurs in the background)

WOW, that is an OLD pic
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I am 17 in that pic (which explains the dinosaurs in the background)
    I thought that was a Buick...

of course, no one got a shot of the previous move where Dave had leapt over the church and landed on one foot, or the one after where he mutters something like "if do correct, no can defense..."

Here's the whole scanned article:

Cover

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

David and Steven I. translated and wrote it, I flew with Sifu Chan out to Cali to IKF headquarters to shoot the pics. We were supposed to both be on the cover but the pics didn't come out right. He got the little square instead and nothing for me! I'm just on the inside..

Why did Jyu Chyun feel Lama was not good for those with bad tempers?...from what I have seen of CLF and Lama they both seem equally good as exercise...why did CTS have to earn Lama?.

Ross, you mentioned CTS only liked the "Mo Lum" (what does that term mean?) and didn't care about the average undisciplined joe or frank or bob... so i took that and added it up with the fact that nobody but the white crane guys really like talking about their styles...we got a few hop gar books and your writings and that's it!?.

just for you Chris

Kick Defense Part 1

Kick Defense Part 2

These are from 1991 in the Mineola School

Did you like the pic I sent you earlier today? The Toi San crew?
    Nice visuals with the traditional wall of death in the back

Nice pics and i loved that article. Very good. Did Sifu Chan ever show, remember,
    or talk about the jow ga (hung tao choy mei) that he learned early on?? I knew
    he was versed in a few styles but i didn't know he learned some jow kuen too.
    Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    Nice pics and i loved that article. Very good. Did Sifu Chan ever show, remember,
    Very cool!
    Sifu Chan did mention Hung Tao Choy Mei to me during our training and did teach some forms from that style. I don't know if he ever focused on Jow Ga with any of his students though.
    Richard Chow

My School
    My Blog

I really love these pictures and the stories of chan tai san. I was able to read the one that mr ross posted on kung fu magazine. I am really excited to be studying lama kung fu now. I have heard great stories from my sifu. It would have been great to be trained by him or have the pleasure to learn from him like most of you guys and my current sifu.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by goldberg View Post
    I really love these pictures and the stories of chan tai san. I was able to read the one that mr ross posted on kung fu magazine. I am really excited to be studying lama kung fu now. I have heard great stories from my sifu. It would have been great to be trained by him or have the pleasure to learn from him like most of you guys and my current sifu.
    so whose school did you end up enrolling at?

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    Very cool!
    I learned a number of his hung style forms, but they were not jow ga, although there are some similarities as they are both southern;

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    so whose school did you end up enrolling at?
    I ending up joining a school in plainview called MAXFIT. Its 5 mins from where I live. My sifu is a guy by the name of Rafael Gomez. He has told us a few stories from when he trained with Chan tai san after my first class one day. Seems to be going ok. You train in lama pai until you recieve a black belt than you can train in choi le fut I believe. the classes are very small so you getting a decent amount of instruction.

cjurakpt Guest
    I ending up joining a school in plainview called MAXFIT. Its 5 mins from where I live. My sifu is a guy by the name of Rafael Gomez. He has told us a few stories from when he trained with Chan tai san after my first class one day. Seems to be going ok. You train in lama pai until you recieve a black belt than you can train in choi le fut I believe. the classes are very small so you getting a decent amount of instruction.
    that's surprising, considering the information you were given in response to your earlier inquiries on this thread, as well as your follow-up posts concerning same, such as:

i guess i did not need to graduate the buiness school or wharton to figure this out. a guy studies for 2 1/2 years under you? teaches a few classes leaves opens up a school? trains with somebody else after while he has his own school? says he trained extensively with chan tai san which is not true? Now teaches an art that he really does not know or nobody really ever taught him and says you have to recieve a black sash to learn the art that he does know? sound right or am i way off?
    and this:
    seems you were right on this. thank you
    so, what's your agenda here, or is that beeping in the background my "troll detector" going off? tell you what, in fact, maybe I'll just stop by Raphael's school this week to say "hi", since I just found out that it's literally 1/2 mile down the road from where my son attends daycare; maybe I'll give him the link to this thread so he can check it out himself...
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 01-02-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Silly Troll.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies cjurakpt and SifuChow. Very interesting. SifuChow, do
    you remember which forms he taught? If you can recollect it would be cool to
    know and if not its OK too. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    I learned a number of his hung style forms, but they were not jow ga, although there are some similarities as they are both southern;
    I'v seen allot of similarities and allot of differences.