Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

I met Chan Tai San the first semester I was in college,
    Chinatown was mostly Cantonese, with the Vietnamese thing happening. We later in time had some trouble with the Vietnamese gangs and that's one reason we left Chinatown, to be done with the BS....

I spent 16 years actually training with him, then the last few years he was semi-retired and I was running my own school.

Sifu Chan never learned to speak English. I guess in retrospect he never needed to, his students all started learning Cantonese to study with him! More than a few teachers over they years asked him (and us) how the heck that happened as they often couldn't even get their students to learn the technique names even.... The reason was sifu Chan, what he offered.

Sifu Chan was a complicated person, in some respects the power of his kung fu knowledge was the counterweight to his difficult personality.

A few months into my learning with Sifu Chan, I closed my school and said I wanted to follow Sifu Chan and become part of his lineage. Since my Chinese was still basicly non-existant at the time, Sifu Chan asked a friend of his, a student of Hung ga teacher Wan Chi Min, to translate. We met at Mandarin Court on Mott Street for tea and the student of Wan Chi Min's translated, as well as warned us...

He asked us (me, Steve ventura, Laurett) if we were really ready for what this was going to take. At the time, it seemed a stupid question, in retrospect, I now know what he meant. He said many people had wanted to learn from Sifu Chan, but following him was not an easy path. I had my share of horror stories training with sifu over the years, and they PALED compared to what he did with other students. He beat a few students in Canada with a stick once. He casually mentioned that he'd KILLED a few of his students in China. The one time he slammed me against the wall and choked me seemed mild in comparison.

When sifu passed this year, we sat with his family. Even they had very little to do with him in his life. For the most part, they found him a bad tempered man who only knew his way, who had not been much of a husband, much of a father, much of a grandfather. His students spent more time with him than his own family. In some respects, we put on blinders, because what we wanted was his kung fu, and his kung fu was ultimately worth whatever it took, really, it was like the X Files. Every year I got that sense more and more...

Sifu chan had both Chinese and American students. The Americans were the majority in the regular school, which originally was just the group class that Sifu ran out of the Gee How Oak Tin Association on Bayard. that was really because Chinese students would often come, were confronted with Sifu's personality head on, and would opt for another arrangement.

I think sifu was even harder on his Chinese students, he expected they know every aspect of the "proper" things to do in the kung fu world, even if they were "juk sing" (ABC)... Considering the grief he gave me, an American with no previous Chinese cultural training, over stuff like the right place to put a tea cup or the correct time to pour tea, I can only imagine the sort of stuff he expected of Chinese students...

Other times, Sifu Chan would be contacted by all Chinese groups to teach on a contract basis. Sifu Chan, as was his nature, would of course take the money, then often mess with the heads of those groups. It was like "I am Chan Tai San, and I thumb my nose at you and your thinking you are anyone"

Sifu Chan's favorite "trick" was to take the money and then have a monkey, usually me, a lowly gwai loh, do the actual teaching. I got used to the drill. He'd tell me to show up some place at a certain time. By the time I'd shown up, Sifu had taken the money and closed the deal, he'd usually start something with the group. Then, as soon as I arrived, he'd hand them all over to me and LEAVE.... I taught in the White Crane school, and in 4 or 5 different "associaitons" over the years because of this "trick"...

I remember two times when this created an actual argument. The head of one of the associations was absolutely not going to accept a dumb monkey teaching his members, especially when he thought he had paid for famous Chan Tai san. Sifu Chan simply told the guy, "anyone here that can beat him?" The answer was no. So Chan told him basicly "stuff it" (actually, he said something about crabs that don't smell too good and something about seeds withering for those of you who speak Cantonese)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I got so used to this sort of thing, it became auto pilot. One time, I showed up at the school of a famous Chinatown Sifu. My sifu was teaching this Chinese guy. I assumed he must be a senior student who the famous teacher wanted to get some extra stuff for. I can't tell you how many big name teachers in the US paid my sifu to come and give them some extra stuff. The list is LONG and is BIG NAMES...

Well, Sifu Chan hands him off to me like always. Like always, I proceed, in Cantonese. Prior to this, every time I taught, I was teaching guys who only spoke Cantonese. I went on for about an hour....

At the end of this hour, I head the guy, in English ask me, "uh, do you speak English?"

Poor guy, never had the courage to speak up before this. Apparently, he was ABC and didn't speak Chinese. His sifu had set up the appointment, he'd shown up, been first confronted with Sifu Chan, then me! I'd rambled on for an hour in Cantonese, not one word of English... Poor bastaaaaaadddd had no idea what was going on...

Sifu Chan Tai San passed away on Sept 1, 2004. He had spent the last 3 or 4 years of his life in a hospitol, badly bad health and secluded from the world. Once he got sick, he never went out. He never wanted anyone to see him as anything other than the tough guy he had always been. All of his students basicly lied when asked about him, "oh, he's doing good, he's fine"

The last few years of my teacher's life was a difficult time for me. After completing the system with him, and after he was semi-retired, it was no longer about showing up to "work out" or to learn. It was all about personal relationships, and about confronting both the positive AND the negative things he'd done over the years. It was like having a father you never really agreed with. YOu loved him, you were comitted to him, but you were conflicted over how you felt about things that he had done.

My teacher, like a lot of Chinese teachers, felt that those who mattered always knew the real deal and those who didn't know the "real deal" never mattered. A sifu in the martial arts community (Mo Lum) knows exactly how a real Baai Si (adoption) ceremony takes place. If you say you were adopted and don't have the right things, a real person in the Mo Lum is going to laugh his azz off at you and take you for a clown. Of course, most Americans don't know thing #1 about this sort of stuff

A real Baai Si is a public event. It is usually announced, often in newspapers. Mine was.

A fortune teller is consulted to find the right date, you must submit to your sifu your date and time of birth.

A real Baai Si must have witnesses, at least one a MAJOR figure in the Mo Lum. My #1 Baai Si witness was Sifu Frank Yee (Yee Chi Wai) of the Dang Fong Hung Ga lineage.

My other two witneses were a Choy Lay Fut teacher and a member of one of the associations.

A real Baai Si involves you receiving a reb paper books which has important Kuen Po and which is signed by you, your sifu and the witnesses.

To my knowledge, my sifu did four Baai Si in China before coming here. He did three official Baai Si in the US, all done in the Mineola school myself, Gus Kapros and Michael Parrella opened.

I bring this up because my sifu, like many sifu I know, was also capable of turning to someone and telling them "hey, you got $500? I'll adopt you. Come to my house on a Thursday night with teh cash and BOOM you're adopted!"

The senior students had a huge issue with Sifu Chan over this sort of stuff. My sifu always scoffed and laughed. He said that anyone who mattered, ie real people in the Mo Lum, would never take someone claiming to be adopted from one of these "late night cash sessions" seriously.

And if another ignorant American believed someone was an adopted disciple because of this? WHO CARED. They didn't matter anyway...

It was also common knowledge that my sifu had A, B, C, even D versions of everything he taught. Like I said previously, usually in 5 minutes he figured out whether you had potential or not. If you didn't, he never bothered to even try and show you the real stuff...

This is why, from time to time, you'll see some whining SOB claim that Chan Tai San didn't know anything. He'll inevitably claim he studied with him and learned crap. Of course, that doesn't mean Sifu Chan didn't know anything, it meant he never showed YOU anything of value. There is a difference.....

A Chan Tai San "class"

Sifu Chan ran things like a lot of the old school people did.

First, he had his students and he had the "outsiders". If you were a regular student, you had a regular monthly rate, you leanred what he thought you should learn, you put your Faith in him. He did spend more attention with the regular students...

The outsiders were those who showed up, wanted to learn something and were charged based upon what they asked for. If you did this, you got no more, and frequently, if you turned out to be clueless, you got less....

Among the regular students, there were the seniors and there was the group class. the seniors ran the group classes basicly while Chan tai San watched and would tweek things. The group classes were first run by Steve Ventura and I, then just me for a while, then me, Parrella and Kapros.

He expected his seniors to be resposible and do stuff themselves. We'd show up, he'd ignore us. It was our job to warm up, do basics and then start reviewing whatever we were working on with him. If we apparead to have a grasp on what we were working on, then he'd work with you. The seniors were the only people Chan Tai San worked directly with on a long term basis. the price for that, he expected that you already knew what you were doing. there were holes you had to fill in for yourself, or, if you were smart enough to ask specific questions, he'd fill them in if you asked the right questions...

The group classes were for Chan Tai San a way to maybe find some people worthy of being seniors and actually learning from him. Again, it was a survival of the fitest thing, you were thrown in the pool, if you swam, you'd stand out and get more. Many downed

The seniors were shown the basics, some drills, told how to do things, then told to run the group classes. Eventually, the seniors figured out the best thing to do was start teaching some of the basic sets in the group classes. Once someone was in the group classes for a while, had learned the basics, and if it looked like they could cut it, they were made seniors and worked with Sifu Chan....

The seniors were free to try stuff, Sifu Chan would then say good or bad, or correct it. Ventura and I always made people spar, to sifu this was a good thing. Other ideas were killed by Sifu Chan, at times our failures would prompt him to go "ok, here's what you SHOULD do'... but it was honestly hit or miss...

Regarding Sifu Chan's regular students, the training was very much about FIGHTING. Those who came and just paid for something, who asked for something and did a straight, I ask, I pay you give, got what they asked for, never more. And usually Sifu Chan looked down on these people, thinking their attitudes sucked...

If you put your faith and your trust in Sifu Chan, he'd actually put effort into what you should be doing. That is why most of his students were trained differently, they weren't all the same guy, cookie cutter produced on an assembly line, so why treat them that way?

From Sifu Chan's point of view, forms were just a way to get the techniques across and make you do them over and over again. There was NOT a particular reverance for the sets, even for the exact sequences!

A very common thing that would happen; "Sifu, is the movement this? or This?" A technique could be done several ways, several different angles, maybe even the sequence was open to some variations....

Anyway

"Sifu, is it this, this or that?"

Sifu Chan would inevitably say "yes"... as in, it is all those, and MORE

The first set I did with Chan tai San was Siu Lo Han (lesser Boddhisattva set). it is one of the core sets (there are 5 core sets), in reality, you could well study this one form and make an entire fighting style out of it. I won't say it has "everything" but it has certainly enough to make a strong cross section. The basic shooting star fists are in this set, the basic concepts are in this set. There are four basic kicks, plenty of throws and joint locks. A few really nasty advanced "Neih Lahk Sau" tactics...

I learned 5 versions of the same set.

The sets became "conversation pieces", ie they stimulated talk about application and theory. A good part of the practice was taking apart and re-assembling the sets to find the applications. But the way my sifu did it was probably "unique"

Certain applications he took the initiative to teach you, ie he'd stop you, show it to you and make sure you grasped what it was about...

But that was HALF the process. He expected you to hold up your end, to ask him about other applications. If you had no initiative, you'd been shown very little. The best stuff by far you got by asking, by askig again, by having follow questions. Once you got Sifu Chan going, it poured out, but if you didn't make the effort, he let you go on your merry way ....

But the other half of the equation was, you FELT the applications, there was no "show" it was all "tell"! If it was a punch, Sifu Chan PUNCHED YOU! If it was a kick, he kicked you, if it was a throw, he threw you, joint lock, you get the idea

I regularly got kicked, tripped, thrown, poked in the eye, kicked in the groin (once, I was getting ready for a demo at NYU, I didn't even ask Sifu anything, but he walked up to me, told me that in the situation we had set up, THIS is what he'd do, BAM, kicked me square in the groin)

I said this before, Steve ventura and I started flipping coins to see who was going to ask the next question......

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

David, dont get your panties in a knot. Im just busting chops. You can have your thread back. Please tell us about your experiences with Chan Tai San (again).

In all seriousness, I wish you well.

See you in Plainview.

Chan Tai San was a fighter, in every sense of the word. I've talked before about the 42nd street indicent (will probably post it again here). I think I talked about the time he came home and casually mentioned as he made dinner that he'd been jumped by 7 guys on the subway.... I thought I'd share two stories here tonight...

I was in the association hall on Bayard late one night. At the beginning especially, we'd often be there until 11 or later at night. We fell in love with practice, so much so I dropped out of school for a semester.... hi fu pow

This was early on, I didn't speak cantonese really yet, so what transpired remains a mystery to me. Chan Tai San was cooking dinner, a common thing around that hour for him. Two guys came into the associaiton hall, one middle aged (50's) and another rather young (he was my age, early 20's).

Whatever was going on, the middle aged guy did the talking, Chan Tai San was obviously annoyed and waved his hand at the guy. Chan Tai San walked around and the middle aged guy followed him around. The volume of the "discussion" went up and it was clearly an argument after a minute or so....

Sifu Chan was walking across the floor again, when suddenly the young guy took a fighting stance, looked like a Muay Thai stance, and started dancing around Sifu Chan.

I was young and stupid, at first I thought "wow, Sifu is old so I'd better fight this guy"

I was about to learn my lesson.

Sifu Chan didn't take a stance, he said something to the guy, who made a funny face (knowing Sifu later on over the years, I can guess the sort of thing he might have said, but I can't ever be sure, I didn't speak back then)

the guy was still in his stance, sort of dancing about, Sifu Chan made his "chyuhn choih" noise, hit the guy ONCE. He went all stiff like a board, fell back on his heels, fell flat on the ground...

Sifu Chan said something to the middle aged guy, I can be pretty sure it must have been to teh effect of "now, get the F out of here"

The middle age guy helped the young guy get up, the left, and I never saw them again....

Sifu continued to make dinner

I was numb....

It was a night Steve Ventura was working late, so I told him the story the next night... he was pizzed he'd missed it all!!

question for mr. ross

read in one of your other post you studied originally in the korean martial arts. when you made the change to chinese martial arts how difficult was it to adapt between styles? do you feel korean martial arts were a great base?

One of the greatest Chan Tai San stories EVER!

The very first time we went to one of Sifu Tai Yim's events, Sifu Chan is doing his Chi Kung demo. As usual I am translating his comments into English. So you have

Chan Tai San: I am very happy to be here as Sifu Tai Yim's event

Me; translate into English

Chan: I knew him when he was a little boy, I was friends with his teacher and studied with his si-gung

Me; translate into English

Chan: Tai Yim's Si Gung, the "white haired devil" was very famous

Me: translate into English

Chan: for killing a lot of guys

Me: SILENT (I aint no dummy)

Sifu Chan continued about how the White Haired Devil had killed so many people that their families hired men to go and kill him. I am no dummy, I am not translating this! So on he goes.

The Chinese are dying laughing! The Americans are asking me why I'm not translating. I'm just standing there, hoping he'll change topics. Of course, Sifu Chan continues

Sifu Chan talks about how a bunch of these hired killers surrounded the place White Haired Devil was having tea in, White Haired Devil breaks off the legs of the table that he's eating at, goes outside to beat them to death

I'm not touching it!

Sifu Yim, realizing that the lack of translation is a bad thing, tries to ad lib....

Sifu Tai Yim: "Master Chan is happy to be here. He says that kung fu is excellent for everyone, an excellent way to get healthy"

Only problem, while sifu is talking, he's mimicing the blood and mayhem with his hands. His body language is anything but about "health and spiritual development"

The Chinese in attendance are dying laughing...

Sifu Tai Yim keeps trying to ad libb

Sifu Chan is mimicing White Haired Devil choking to death the last guy

I'm just standing there....

Sifu Chan "and that's how White Haired Devil beat six guys to death with table legs"

I jump right in "and now Sifu Chan will do his next Chi Gung demonstration"

I honestly though Tai Yim was gonna kill me

Life as an orphan in a monastery......

Sifu Chan was only one of many young boys that the temple took in. I think it was a group of like 12 but I don't remember exactly. Sifu many years ago had an old picture of the group when they were teenagers...

All took "manastic names" even though they didn't all take final vows and become monks. All were "san" or "mountain" names. Lei Fei San was the #1, a very good friend of my sifu. He is still alive and well in Canton, he has over 1000 students there.

Chiu Wan San was in Chicago, I don't know if he is still there or even alive, sadly.

Oh, actually, as I type this, there was another student who was #1 before Lei Fei San, but he disgraced Jyu Chyuhn and the temple and was kicked out.... no one really knows what became of him...

My sifu's relationship with his teacher was, like my relationship with Chan Tai San, COMPLICATED. Jyu Chyuhn was a strict discipliner, a harsh teacher. In some respects the kids hated him...

In other ways, he was their father, the only father figure they ever knew. He raised them, fed the, healed them...

All the kids were taught Choy Lay Fut and that meant harsh stance training at the beginning. All morning holding stanced, jumping up and down with sand weights attached to their ankles. Duck walks, squats, etc....

The first big formal test we arranged at the Mineola school, the seniors wanted the students to hold stances (Steve Ventura and myself came from Hung Ga with strong stance tradition, Gus Kapros also wanted to see strong stances...)

When it came to the students holding the stances, legs shaking, sweat pouring off, Sifu Chan LEFT THE BUILDING, he went downstairs and had a cigarette. He told me that while he knew it was necessary, he never wanted to see that ever again, it reminded him of those days...

The kids hated Jyu Chyuhn for making them do stances and training so hard, and because he made them study and was harsh. So, like "lord of the flies" they often fell back on their worst animal instincts... Sifu Chan told me they literally tried to kill Jyu Chyuhn a few times!!!

Head to head, young kids vs a master was a no brainer. The beatings commenced to quote Bill Cosby

Lei Fei San and Chan Tai San decided to "plot" better ways to kill. One day they waited for Jyu Chyuhn to meditate. He meditated every day in front of the main altar. Chan Tai San stole a knife and waited for him to meditate. He waited until he thought Jyu Chyuhn was deep in meditation and jumped up on the altar..

Jyu Chyuhn simply took off his shoe and slapped Chan Tai San in the face! He had been aware he was hiding the entire time.

As an indication of how complicated and conflicted the relationship was, Sifu Chan told me this story crying, "and that's how we tried to kill him, I miss Sifu" he cried. Sifu Chan really loved Jyu Chyuhn, even with these strange behaviors....

The climax of this difficult and conflicted relationship came when Chan Tai San was an adult...

At 17, in 1937, the Japanese had invaded China. Chan Tai San left the temple to join the resistance to the invasion, joining the KMT's special "peasants' division"

At this time, Chan Tai San had NOT yet learned Lama Pai. Jyu Chyuhn felt he had been too immature and wild to learn the method. He had only studied Choy Lay Fut.

In the "peasants' division" however, Chan Tai San was in the company of many kung fu master (White Haired Devil for example) and since they were all in the same cause of fighting the Japanese, they shared techniques, a first for Chinese martial artists who had before all been in their sects fighting eachother

after years of fighting the Japanese and after having learned other methods of Kung Fu from his fellow soldiers, Chan TAI San returned home...

Sifu Chan thought he was a man, and he wanted Jyu Chyuhn to teach him Lama Pai. But Jyu Chyuhn saw a man who was older, but who had not grown up... Jyu Chyuhn refused...

Chan Tai San then cursed his teacher, calling him an old man, a worthless old man, Sifu Chan said that he didn't need to learn Lama, he was already a combat veteran with cross training

Sifu Chan, in anger, attacked Jyu Chyuhn

I tell you this story as Sifu Chan told it to me, I asked him, "so what happened"?

He told me that the next thing he knew, he was on his hands and knees. he thought that some of his teeth had been knocked out and he reached out to find them, he wanted to stuff them back into his mouth, because he wanted to be buried with them. He said that he knew he was no longer a child, and as such, he expected that this time Jyu Chyuhn would kill him for such an attack

Instead, Jyu Chyuhn picked up Sifu Chan, took him inside and nursed him back to health. Sifu Chan said that upon being picked up, he cried like a baby and begged his sifu to forgive him. And Jyu Chyuhn did. After a few months of healing, Sifu Chan began studying Lama Pai....

i asked you a serious question.

was in (edit out city name) with Chan Tai San in the 1990's. We were having tea with 4 Choy Lay Fut teachers from the area, three I gurantee everyone here knows, but I won't use names for obvious reasons.

Now, over the years I've seen two trends in TCMA. I saw guys who weren't the best educated, not exactly historians, often didn't care about lineage and style history and the associated trappings like Kuen Po. Frequently, these were guys who because they were poor, struggled to survive, fought a lot and thus were actually good fighters. Some were actual killers. Deadly.

I also met guys who were educated, upper middle class, so they knew the literary terms, the philosophical inplications of certain terms, they could read all the books, they had good minds for history. They might have had enough money to study with a lot of teachers. They might have traveled all around and seen different versions and studied Kuen Po and got to "direct lineages" etc... They were also freuqently guys who did all their training in schools and who had never had a fight with an angry guy with a butcher knife ever in their lives....

One of the four CLF sifu sitting there was a guy who was well educated, well spoken, had done a lot of research. He'd traveled all over, read various books, knew a lot about the theory. Prior to meeting him that time, I actually had some respect for him. Then we went to tea.

I don't remember what started the exact conversation. But we were discussing what we call Teut Kiuh or scrapping bridge. This sifu, we will call him "mr expert" from now on, said that "the old teachers" were frequently poorly educated and didn't know the original, correct names for the technqiues. On this, he may have well be right.

Anyway, "mr expert" talked about how he only used the original, correct names. OK, fine, he'd gotten some very old Kuen Po. It was an interesting side note, but the conversation had actually been more on APPLICATION

My training brother had started the conversation, not me. But I got drawn in as it progressed.

Mr expert insisted that the application that "old guys" like Chan Tai San used was "wrong". I sort of stepped in at this point. A technque can have many applications, but to tell an "old guy" like Chan Tai San that he was wrong was retarded. Chan Tai San, unlike "mr expert", had actually fought, even killed people. I am pretty sure "mr expert" has never had a real fight in his life...

Mr expert continued about how the old Kuen Po he had gave the correct name and theory, and that since he was the only one currently using it, he was the only one with the "correct application"

So we asked, what is YOUR application?

Mr expert didn't want to show us.

Come on, show us already! We're Americans, we believe in put up or shut up. Mr expert said he didn't want to offend my sifu. A quick translation back and forth, my sifu said, "no, show us your application and David will show you ours"

I told "mr expert", tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it so you can show me your application, then you grab my arm because I am going to show you our applicatoin on you....

mr expert again said he didn't want to offend my sifu, we translated again, this time the other three CLF sifu, Laughing their butts off, helped translate to be 150% sure that my sifu understood (we, his students, were just dumb lo faan)...

My sifu offered mr expert to do it on HIM this time!

Mr expert just started eating his dim sum and didn't open his mouth the rest of the day.....

Chan Tai San on fighting...

People seem to harp on the same things over and over again, can't seem to grasp that our fighting oriented school comes from Chan Tai San's teachings...

Too many Kung Fu movies, too much bad blah blah martial arts, too many frauds claiming to be masters, and just too little real fighting... sadly a lot seem to think fighting has to be taking wild stances and announcing animal names while making silly hand formations

It was quite frequent, many of Sifu's students have seen it, when Sifu Chan talked about fighting, he took a stance, hands up and moved around on his feet, gasp, almost like a boxer! Gasp gasp!

He liked to jab his way inside ("tan choih" for thos really hard headed traditinalists, a jab exists in the Chinese martial arts for lord's sake!!!!). He was found of a big right uppercut

Sifu said that when Western boxing was introduced into China, a lot of "masters" got KO'd by kids that went to a boxing gym and worked out for 6 months.

Sifu Chan said there were only two kinds of martial artists in China after this period. The fighters took a look at Western boxing and saw what it had to offer. The others came up with excuses and talked about crap like death touch

Sifu also fought several Japanese who were trained in Judo. He had respect for it as a real, hard core, practical fighting art. However, his approch to them was to exploit what they were not used to. Rather than tie up and wrestle, he liked to hit them and throw them off balance and composure, suprisingly, it's how our fighters still seem to fight (insert sarcasm here)

ok obviously not getting an answer. it was a serious question though. I have read through some of your articles and they were very well written. You do have an extremely impressive background. we did have some fun on this board but I do wish you well and a happy new year and continued Success.

Remembering that your teacher is human....

I don't think Americans are the only ones who idolize their teachers beyond reality, in fact, I think Asians may be even more guilty of this idea, from Confucian roots and all

I know that William CC Chen said that before he lives with his teacher, he imagined he could fly and do magic, but after living with him, he realized he was just a normal guy...

I know a Korean master who said the day he went into the bathroom and found his teacher there, it changed his life, I know, really f-in stupid, but up to that point he never imgained that his teacher was just like him in EVERY WAY...

In a lot of ways, Chan Tai San was good at keeping us grounded in reality, not always consciously mind you. Often to his own detriment. A Chinese student once pleaded with him to "act the part" and not be a country hick....

Sifu Chan could quickly degenerate into that poor farmer who had minimal education, excited about a fake police badge or a new jacket. For a bunch of relatively well off, pretty spoiled urban NY'ers he often showed a side we found difficult to understand and were embarassed by...

And at times I feel bad for that. I should have accepted him for who he was, I certainly valued what he taught me, so why did I not see the obvious contradiction?

Other things I guess I closed my eyes to. I know at the funneral last year I heard things that I had NOT been aware of, though how it escaped my attention is the heart of the issue.

I could accept all sorts of negative things about my teacher, but one aspect, which I have strong feelings about personally, I managed to block out, I guess precisely for that reason

Funny how our minds work

Long, sort of pointless, to explain why I just remembered this story but it's classic Chan Tai San

You have to remember that for many years, Chan Tai san just wondered around China, studying whatever he could learn. He went up to Shanghai even though he didn't speak Shanghai dialect and his Mandarin was horrible, he went to Beijing, he was in Fukien, he was all over....

For obvious reasons, he knew a lot of obscure facts and had a lot of obscure info

Well, this is what I remember, Sifu Chan sees this teacher who does a very rare style, like almost no one in the US had even heard of it, but this guy's sifu was the only one doing it and was already dead, so the guy performing it didn't even know what exactly it was, history, etc....

After his performance, Sifu Chan goes over to the guy, and because he's ABC, I sort of translated.... Sifu tells him it's an offshoot of "xyz" style, from this village, with this dude as his grandmaster....

Teh ABC guy tells me that from everything he knows and his teacher told him, it's impossible and my sifu must be wrong.... whatever, no skin off our apple really...

10 years later, and I'm not joking, I run into the guy again, he has just gotten back from China, where while touring around he ended up in this village sort of randomly, teh same village sifu chan had told him about.... his style is done there, by that grandmaster, it's an offshoot of "xyz style" etc etc....

The guy said he was really surprised, but I wasn't since I knew that sifu had gone t all sorts of obscure places to learn stuff

so what style is the xyz style?

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    so what style is the xyz style?
    not really important, no need to embarass possibly the guy, just a funny story

scaning some new stuff in a minute