Page 92 of 102 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

this is some of Chan Tai San's own writing, whenever he taught us something, he'd write out it's name and who was learning it and give it to us
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

a short lived newsletter by the students of Hung Ga master Frank Yee covered the baai si adoption ceremony

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Stephen Laurette had many of Chan Tai San's written pages type set. In this case, a list of choy lay fut sets (basic, intermediate and advanced) that Chan Tai San learned under Jyu Chyuhn

The text reads "Jyu Sifu's Choy Lay Fut, 12 years hard work"

Quote Originally Posted by SifuChow View Post
    Here are a couple more that look like they were taken at the same time.
    The look in his eyes in pic 2 just scream "I got stories to tell...but you prolly don't wanta hear about the war!". That first pic hand shape looks interesting, what is it if you don't mind me asking?.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I met Chan Tai San the first semester I was in college,
    Chinatown was mostly Cantonese, with the Vietnamese thing happening. We later in time had some trouble with the Vietnamese gangs and that's one reason we left Chinatown, to be done with the BS....

I spent 16 years actually training with him, then the last few years he was semi-retired and I was running my own school.

Sifu Chan never learned to speak English. I guess in retrospect he never needed to, his students all started learning Cantonese to study with him! More than a few teachers over they years asked him (and us) how the heck that happened as they often couldn't even get their students to learn the technique names even.... The reason was sifu Chan, what he offered.

Sifu Chan was a complicated person, in some respects the power of his kung fu knowledge was the counterweight to his difficult personality.

A few months into my learning with Sifu Chan, I closed my school and said I wanted to follow Sifu Chan and become part of his lineage. Since my Chinese was still basicly non-existant at the time, Sifu Chan asked a friend of his, a student of Hung ga teacher Wan Chi Min, to translate. We met at Mandarin Court on Mott Street for tea and the student of Wan Chi Min's translated, as well as warned us...

He asked us (me, Steve ventura, Laurett) if we were really ready for what this was going to take. At the time, it seemed a stupid question, in retrospect, I now know what he meant. He said many people had wanted to learn from Sifu Chan, but following him was not an easy path. I had my share of horror stories training with sifu over the years, and they PALED compared to what he did with other students. He beat a few students in Canada with a stick once. He casually mentioned that he'd KILLED a few of his students in China. The one time he slammed me against the wall and choked me seemed mild in comparison.

When sifu passed this year, we sat with his family. Even they had very little to do with him in his life. For the most part, they found him a bad tempered man who only knew his way, who had not been much of a husband, much of a father, much of a grandfather. His students spent more time with him than his own family. In some respects, we put on blinders, because what we wanted was his kung fu, and his kung fu was ultimately worth whatever it took, really, it was like the X Files. Every year I got that sense more and more...

Sifu chan had both Chinese and American students. The Americans were the majority in the regular school, which originally was just the group class that Sifu ran out of the Gee How Oak Tin Association on Bayard. that was really because Chinese students would often come, were confronted with Sifu's personality head on, and would opt for another arrangement.

I think sifu was even harder on his Chinese students, he expected they know every aspect of the "proper" things to do in the kung fu world, even if they were "juk sing" (ABC)... Considering the grief he gave me, an American with no previous Chinese cultural training, over stuff like the right place to put a tea cup or the correct time to pour tea, I can only imagine the sort of stuff he expected of Chinese students...

Other times, Sifu Chan would be contacted by all Chinese groups to teach on a contract basis. Sifu Chan, as was his nature, would of course take the money, then often mess with the heads of those groups. It was like "I am Chan Tai San, and I thumb my nose at you and your thinking you are anyone"

Sifu Chan's favorite "trick" was to take the money and then have a monkey, usually me, a lowly gwai loh, do the actual teaching. I got used to the drill. He'd tell me to show up some place at a certain time. By the time I'd shown up, Sifu had taken the money and closed the deal, he'd usually start something with the group. Then, as soon as I arrived, he'd hand them all over to me and LEAVE.... I taught in the White Crane school, and in 4 or 5 different "associaitons" over the years because of this "trick"...

I remember two times when this created an actual argument. The head of one of the associations was absolutely not going to accept a dumb monkey teaching his members, especially when he thought he had paid for famous Chan Tai san. Sifu Chan simply told the guy, "anyone here that can beat him?" The answer was no. So Chan told him basicly "stuff it" (actually, he said something about crabs that don't smell too good and something about seeds withering for those of you who speak Cantonese)
    see I like this stuff because it helps paint a better picture for those not in the know why kung fu is in such a mess...from what I know about people in general it seems to me, CTS couldn't stand lazy people that's why he would thumb his nose, and I'm guessing all the tragedy he saw in the war would create a cold ******* temperament, but I also wonder if he was disgruntled by the rascist power structure in the world which I've seen in many imigrants I have worked with...CTS seems to have the total rapper attitude...just the whole thumb my nose at you Up until the 80's popular culture was very womanizing so the average dude had attitude back in the day...but I think it is bigger than that...if you know you can fight, you know you train full time...you see these guys making money off bull**** and you know the streets are shady I can see where guys like bruce lee and even my stepdad's teacher kaido got their attitude from...kaido was always hating on martial artists...he would sit in the theatre laughing at bruce's ballet kicks and everyone else is like "I think he looks good"...i love it cuz it's like...you hate your marine drill instructor he is a ***** you wouldn't take him home to meet grandma, but he helped you defend your country so on that level, karma is very interesting.

Great thread you guys, yall almost platinum!.

Hello Sifu Ross,

Like all those before me have said, great thread and hopefully one day it may make its way into a book.

Did Chan Tai San ever talk about the late Hop Gar teacher Deng Gum To? I see from earlier in this thread that Chan Sifu may have learnt/ shared some techniques/ and or forms from/ with my Sigong.

Thanks,
    David

A couple of cool pics of Chan Tai-San

Staff Pic 1
    Staff Pic 2
    both with his student C. Ferrari - these were in early 1990

Staff Pic 3
    Staff Pic 4
    both with Me - these were in late 1991

Hope you guys like 'em!

the staff was Chan Tai-San's all around favorite weapon. Some popular sets he taught were;

Lama
    Black Dragon Staff
    5th Brother 8 Triagram Staff

Choy Lay Fut
    Small Plum Blossum Staff
    5th Brother Staff
    Lion's Tail Staff
    5th Brother 8 Triagram Staff

Bok Mei
    3 Gate Staff

Hung Kuyhn
    Rat Tail Staff

Misc./No style
    Drunken Staff
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 01-06-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Da-Wei View Post
    Hello Sifu Ross,

Like all those before me have said, great thread and hopefully one day it may make its way into a book.

Did Chan Tai San ever talk about the late Hop Gar teacher Deng Gum To? I see from earlier in this thread that Chan Sifu may have learnt/ shared some techniques/ and or forms from/ with my Sigong.

Thanks,
    David
    Yes, he did have some association with him, I believed he had trained with him for a short time. Only heard good things about him.

My understanding, based upon what a student of Deng's in San Francisco told me, was that Chan Tai San went out of his way to get accepted as a student based upon his reuptation. He apparently spent some quality time there learning things. Sifu Chan himself praised him but wasn't very specific about which influences were sifu deng's

deng gum tong has a student in san francisco? was it the guy you got to write "lama pai" in calligraphy for you?

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    deng gum tong has a student in san francisco? was it the guy you got to write "lama pai" in calligraphy for you?
    yes, that guy (good memory! that is BURIED in this huge thread!)

EDIT: forewarned the proper phrase may be "HAD", we're talking about 1991

im still trying to get my hands on his book. my sifu had a copy but tony galvin jacked it.

I have a photocopy of the foreword/introduction, maybe I can scan it and put it up

the form itself is reproduced in a lot of books

is it the Siu Lo Han book or the advanced book?

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    is it the Siu Lo Han book or the advanced book?
    I think it is the siu lo han book