Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

it always amazes me that when you read about or talk to guys who were real fighters in the TCMA community (And MMA world) they all believed in sparring, fighting and using whatever worked, regardless of where it came from.

on a side note thats for TTT this Ross and for all the great stories

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    CTS trained boxing and absorbed it's ideas very early on.... maybe we can get mike back on here with those stories
    That's fair enough. I was thinking it was more of an interpretation thing, which can be redundant.

Cheers.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    it always amazes me that when you read about or talk to guys who were real fighters in the TCMA community (And MMA world) they all believed in sparring, fighting and using whatever worked, regardless of where it came from.

on a side note thats for TTT this Ross and for all the great stories
    It makes sense to me. Not so amazing. Authentic CMA should have all of those elements.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    It makes sense to me. Not so amazing. Authentic CMA should have all of those elements.

BT
    sorry i meant that it amazes me that the things really people argue about on here, sparring, using gloves, cross training, dropping what does not work etc was not an issue in the past and just common sense to those in the past who actually had to use there skills to survive

There is a lot to be learned from the example of CTS, both good and bad

I am certainly who I am today in large part because of the two so decades I spent with the man
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    sorry i meant that it amazes me that the things really people argue about on here, sparring, using gloves, cross training, dropping what does not work etc was not an issue in the past and just common sense to those in the past who actually had to use there skills to survive
    i dont think that ever really changed. however now though with mass communication, mainly the internet, all the larpers come out of the woodwork, and actually argue against historically proven methods...its funny and sad at the same time.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

outside of the idiots derailing this i have to sat this was the most interesting thread ive read so far on this board

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

There is a lot of interesting and imho important stuff buried in this huge thread

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i actually slowly managed to read it all over two weeks and i loved the fascinating and at times funny stories

very informative as well i never had even heard of lama pai before this and i liked the photos of the applications too

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

In my estimation, CTS is a perfect minature model of what CMA is about. He represents both its best and worst. He had a lot of good, but was still mired in much of the bad. He had real material he gave to some, crap he passed off on others. Real fighting techniuqe, and technique he taght that he knew would never work in a million years. The courage to call something crap when it was, yet passed off crap himself at times.

Sadly, there were few like him, almost none left, certainly no "new CTS" coming out these days...

Sifu Ross,

you mentioned in the past you were gonna write some books. are any of them released already?

rising from the dead.......

you should secretly teach lama pai to sanda students, turn them into hybrid super warriors, no enemies under heaven.

when cung le made that kung fu salute in the octagon, it brought a tear to my eye.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Big Time props to you Sifu Ross. Your stories remind me very much of my time growing up in KF and traveling up to Toronto's China town (1978 - 2000) to learn from my Sifu.

Thank you of sharing.
    It's not what you know, but who's first with the best.

Just got through reading this thread, and (aside from idiots and trolls attempting to derail it) it was such a trip. Some of the stories (mainly the ones involving translating for Chan Sifu) had me laughing, some of them had me doing much the opposite.

It makes me wonder if my own Sigung was similar in any regards, I'm gonna have to ask Sifu as soon as possible.

Many thanks for sharing, and please let me know if you ever finish the book. I'd love to read it!