Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried absinthe?

I bought a bottle for my 18th birthday. We went to pizza hut for lunch and I wanted to try some so I thought I'd put some in my Coke...my Coke then went from black to bright green so I had to drink it pretty quickly. Good stuff! It's one of the only high strength drinks I like to drink neat.
    ________
    PERCODAN REHAB FORUM
    Last edited by stubbs; 03-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Originally posted by Mat

Incidentally, the rant in Mike Leigh's movie 'Naked' is largely historically accurate: wormwood is another name for Chernobyl (strictly that's actually Mugwort, but in different parts of the world, and even the UK closely related plants often share the same name), and is mentioned extensively in the Bible (although these are different plants they are very closely related, closer than say Tarragon and Estragon which are also the same family), especially Revelations as the name of the meteorite that poisons water and melts tongues and is one of the precursors to Armageddon... my Christian mythology is a little rusty: ask one of the Semites on the board. Although this rant is quite funny, mugwort is also used as a main ingredient in Chinese medicine and (as Wikipedia tells me) for moxa. That rant also really really ****ed me off, cos it's almost exactly along the lines of the stuff that I'd come up with in my research, and had already half-written into a character in a book! Mike ******* Leigh: I'd bloody swing for him!

Good film...although for British film rants Richard Burton in 'Equus'
    is hard to beat.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Thujone is not structurally related to opiates in any way.
    Correct. If you are worried about chemical accuracy on this here kungfu board that is... See definition 1 below.
    Opiate is not a catchall term for drugs of various sorts, but only those with a characteristic chemical backbone.
    Correct, again if you're talking to chemists. If, however, you are explaining in laymans' terms on a kungfu board for clarity, please see definitions 2,3 below.

dictionary.com
    o·pi·ate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-t, -t)
    n.
    1. Any of various sedative narcotics containing opium or one or more of its natural or synthetic derivatives.
    2. A drug, hormone, or other chemical substance having sedative or narcotic effects similar to those containing opium or its derivatives: a natural brain opiate. Also called opioid.
    3. Something that dulls the senses and induces relaxation or torpor.
    I studied this as part of my forestry degree...! You'd be surprised at what you learn in forestry!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Yeah, I don't want to try it if there's long lasting neurotoxins in it. Oh well.

Thanks.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

(1) There is a dramatic difference between authentic absinthe and imitations, and you're likely to get the latter if you don't know what you're looking for.

(2) The effects of authentic absinthe are neither the same as those of straight alcohol nor those of wormwood extract. It's not clear what creates the effects.

(3) Authentic absinthe has the bulk of wormwood toxins removed, and is only somewhat worse for you than alcohol.

(4) Absinthe has nothing to do with opiates (which are derived from opium or synthesized to be similar to such a thing) nor laudanum (which is a tincture of opium) -- other than that being involved with either makes you overwhelmingly eccentric and gives you predilections for romantic poetry.

(5) The Jade brands available here are the best non-antique absinthes available.

What a wacky coincidence! The music/movie/arts in general nuts forum I go to was going on about Absinthe just last week. It looks like most everything's been covered, so I'll just post a link I found...

http://www.absinth.com/links/loganfils.html

but it looks like Chris' source is better, or at least less expensive.

I'll give it a try one of these days, for sure.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Found this on weirdspot.com -

http://www.laboheme.uk.com/index.html?mid=Weird
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Wink ahhh... absinthe

Well, I've tried various forms - the imitation contains no thujones, thus no high... A martial brother brought some back from Spain - it was the real deal, or so it seemed! Definately a giggly pre-hallucinatory high - then I tried some homemade stuff that was SUUUPER STRONG! Woah. Darn there made me sick - in fact, I know of some horror stories because of that very batch! But overall, it was pretty intense for all its bitter prowess.

Just like eating amanitas, whole nutmeg or huffing gasoline - there's easier ways to change your mindset!

peace brothers,

herb ox

Thumbs up

If you were a were a highlander fan, you remember that there was an immortal in the first season who swore by the stuff...

as a mortal said when he was offered some - "no thanks, I prefer to keep my sanity!"
    Last edited by SevenStar; 12-13-2004 at 04:43 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    If you were a were a highlander fan, you remember that there was an immortal in the first season who swore by the stuff...

as a mortal said when he was offered some - "no thanks, I prefer to keep my sanity!"
    Dayum, methinks Sevenstar is allergic to street cred.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I wouldn't want "fake" absinthe if it's nothing more than really strong (140 proof) alcohol that doesn't taste good. I can get that from Bacardi 151.

I don't do drugs and I've never smoked pot, but for some reason absinthe popped into my head the other day so I decided to do some research.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

it is booze.

it was popular because of the laudanum added to it in teh 19th century and earlier.

nowadays, it is no match for grand marnier or drambuie.

But if they put the opium tincture back into it, well, I think it would become popular again.

But then, kids will try anything won't they?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol, all sorts of opinions, barely any truth. Wormwood is indeed and ingredient in absynthe and that ingredient is indeed toxic at high levels. If absynthe is made coreectly it's not directly poisonous but much like cigarettes, can kill you in the long run (actually it has been purported to drive you mad). It's been outlawed and is still outlawed in many nations because the ingredients are considered dangerous. Many years ago it was harder to control or regulate what went into the drink, now a days it's probably alot more safe to drink, although sticking to a major manufacturer would probably be a smart idea.

That was my understanding too.

It won't kill you if you try it once...

Probably.

Yeah. Nothing is completely 100% safe, and if that's what you want, why do you fight for a hobby anyway?

I mean, d@mn, some people get killed dead by peanuts in their food cause of allergies.

And generally speaking, peanuts are very healthy to eat!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.