Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question regarding "Once Were Warriors"- Att: Kiwis

mickey,

I am not writing a paper, just talking about a cool movie with friends and the question came up. I had never even wondered, myself, until then.

I understand the whole tough on the outside, soft on the inside theory, but I don't think Jake would proudly use the nickname,as he does,if it suggested weakness. He doesn't seem like a character in touch with his inner child.

Oddly, however, the movie's opening scene with Jake shows him eating some snotty sea mollusk- no dialogue, just him eating away.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Hi Stranger,

Welcome back and Happy New Year.

Remember, this is a movie. The nickname may have been more symbolic to the nature of the character than an actual nickname that is used in real life. The nickname foreshadows the end result. In real life, one stands to get serious beat downs from "Jake" types to old Maori women and in between!

In the end, such nicknames encourage healthy discussion geared toward understanding the hidden meanings of the movie/book/play. And this is what happened in this thread.

For me , the answer is in that scene that you described. I also accept that it is both: an intended pun.

Thank you for such a good time, Stranger.

mickey