Thread: Master Philipman Chow

Master Philipman Chow

Hey Skarbromantis,

Has Master Philipman Chow produced any Sifu level instructors, and do they help teach at his school?

Just curious.
    "Kick his ass, Sea-Bass!" - Dumb and Dumber

Would someone tell us about the format of Sifu Chow's classes and what material he teaches?

thanks,
    N.

I dont know the guy, but wouldnt it be easier to ask him?

I'm just asking out of mild curiosity because he is my SiBak.

I don't think he has email, and I wouldn't email or call Canada to ask such a random question.

I was hoping that one of his students, my kung fu cousins, could share some information here.

N.

Here is his webpage: http://www.martialartmantis.com/intro.html

There are some pictures of master Chow and his senior students, but there´s no information about them (if they are assistant instructors or something...).

If any of you want to contact master Chow, here´s his contact address:
    2400 Midland Avenue, Unit 105 Scarborough, Ontario. Canada M1S-5C1

Tel: (416) 505-9230 Fax: (905) 513-7193

E-mail : Chowphilipman@hotmail.com (yes, he has email!!)

Ah, for those interesteds in Beng Bu, there are pictures of master Chow performing this set on his website (with the chinese names of the movements). Just take a look!

Master Chow Chi Fung

Sorry but I try to stay off the forum as much as possible now.

WCFighter-

Q-Has Master Philipman Chow produced any Sifu level instructors?

A-Yes

Do they help teach at his school?

A-Sifu has many students who assist him in teaching in class.

WCFighter who is your WC Sifu?
    _+++++++++++++

-N- Glad you reconize Sifu Chow as your SiBak, indeed we are kung fu cousins then.

Q- Would someone tell us about the format of Sifu Chow's classes and what material he teaches?

A- Sifu Chow has been teaching for over 50yrs, that is half of a century, and still continues to do so today.

The material we learn is traditional HK 7star PM as passed down to Sifu Chow from his teacher Won Hun Fun, we have over 30 hand forms and weapon forms.

Every form is taught by Sifu Chow himself for every student regardless of rank, its like getting a private lesson, except its regular class, students work on their own or together untill its time for the new lesson, once Sifu has gone over the lesson with the student, Sifu Chow will then have a senior student work with the student, all application's to the moves are also shown to the student, and drilled.

We learn 2 man hand sets, also 2 man weapon sets, applications, and form drills.

Training with Sifu Chow is truly an honour, there are not many PM masters from that generation still around, he is a true source of PM knowlege, and the most generous Sifu I have ever met, giving all to his students, never holding back information, he has no secrets.

I hope that helps, if you have any more question's feel free to ask.

Skard1
    Last edited by Skarbromantis; 12-21-2004 at 08:21 PM.
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

Sounds like a great teacher. I wish I lived closer

Thank you all for the information.

Skarbromantis, thank you for indulging my curiosity. Your teacher and mine teach/taught using similar formats then.

Best regards to Sifu Chow and all his students.

N.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, Skarbro, you can't show us all those pics w/o telling us which one is you !

there were some big dudes in the earlier photos.

What japanese styles did Master Chow study?

Was the warehouse looking place an older school and the newer one w/ the nice mats the current school?

just curiousity...looks like a great teacher and place to train !
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

oso-page 16 of the photo gallery, blue silk outfit with my son in his black silk receving our papers for completing 24 forms, the picture is not the best here are some better one's.

Me and my son with Sifu

Me and Sifu

Sifu went to college in Japan, he studied judo also the japanese sword.

To be honest I have no idea where the warehouse was, that was before my time, the spot with the green mats is another club that Sifu teachs at, our main club is the one on page 15, with the big ring.

Also if you look at the 2nd picture on the first page, to the right bald head with glasses...that's forum member ninjaboy, Neil Armstrong. (soory ninjaboy, but I thought my picture was so bad that I might as well share the spotlight, hope every thing is good in china)

Thanks for the intrest

Skard1
    Last edited by Skarbromantis; 12-23-2004 at 10:46 AM.
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

www.torontohiphop.com

Thanks...there are of course plenty of pics of my ugly ass on my site's photos page.

I should have recognized Neil...we were able to get together a couple of years ago when he was in NC on business.

so...does Master Chow have an opinion on the throwing/ground game in mantis as compared to his experience in judo? or, rather, one you care to share? you could email or pm me if you wanted to.

did he teach any judo specific throws/techniques in his regular classes or as a side class?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Oso- Yes Neil is a great guy.

I'm sure he does, but he never speeks on the subject... nothing I can share, sorry.

Sifu does not teach any judo at all, I think the judo was just part of the college course's, in Japan if I remember correctly.

Skard1

www.torontohiphop.com

ok, cool. thanks.

Skard1

It is good to see your posts again, I have always thought you brought alot to the table! We all have had frustrations with this forum, Bei is keeping a tight ship, hope you stick around!

All I can say is, you are very lucky! Take very good care of your Shifu! Spend as much time with him as possible.

yu shan, thank you for you kind comments.

www.torontohiphop.com