Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Video Footage

Quote Originally Posted by Finny
    Anyone know whether the Pan Nam style clips will be put back up??
    I put them up there originally but someone said that might be copyrighted so they were taken down. They interested me because I learned a mainland WC that was very simliar to PNWCK at the 5 Tigers school in NYC years ago.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

It's Saturday, April 2 nd...leavin' for class in about 1/2 hour.

Hope Rich Alvarado shows up today (we're supposed to film again)...Pouring rain all night and all morning so far - perhaps even some flooding on the bridge and highway Rich needs to take.

We'll see.

You big tease. The world waits with bated breath.
    "I could kick CXW's @ss"
    t_niehoff, KFO, 10 October 2004

Well I doubt that, Redd, (the bated breath) but I will say this much...

I WILL post some clips of myself (as wing chun) and Rich (as boxer) as soon as I can. That's a promise.

And in many ways what I will be doing will look quite different than would I did against Myron in the first set of clips: they'll be more kicking, and more aggressive action on my part to get an inside (close) position on him so that he doesn't have enough space to throw his punches. Sometimes that strategy will succeed - and sometimes a different strategy might be necessary.

I purposely chose these two guys to work with because they are both bigger, heavier, and stronger than I am...as I wanted to demonstrate the necessity of being dynamic in my strategy and technique in having to deal with them.

There's no guarantee that you will be able to force a fight to the standing close quarter...but-still-able-to-use-strikes position against a good fighter - even if your wing chun is very good.

I could easily put up some vids of myself against someone 3 inches shorter and 30-40 lbs. lighter - and my pak sao would dominate every punch they throw (ie.- take the line away from them) - so that my other hand will hit them easily...or the same with using lop sao - so that they will have little chance of stopping it...and they'll get hit very often...or throwing a punch over their strike that cuts right through their space and hits their body or face...or have them throw a nice fat haymaker so that I can step in with tan da and simultaneously block/hit with no problem.

And I could make it look very crispy, powerful, and fast - and with lots of fan sao (followup strikes)...and then throw them into a wall or sweep them to the floor.

But I've chosen not to go that route.

I'm not interested in flash and pizazz...I'm only interested in reality fighting.

The great catch-as-catch-can wrestler Lou Thesz told a story in his autobiography about one of his early instructors, George Tragos. Every training session started with Lou having to be in a bottom position of some sort and Tragos would always start in a dominant top position - and Lou would have to wrestle his way out of it. When he finally complained to Tragos about it...he was told that it was for his own good, because if he could deal with the most difficult situations then he COULD DEAL WITH ANYTHING.

That epitomizes my entire philosophical approach to the martial arts.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-03-2005 at 09:47 PM.