Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hsing Yi confined space

Hsing Yi confined space

Hi,

Does any other Hsing Yi practitioner on here live in a very small house or apartment and experience immense frustration in the lack of room available when wanting to train? This could obviously apply for other arts too, but i study Hsing Yi and my choices are struggle in my very confined space or train in a nearby park and get stared at, which i do regularly but I wish I could just train on my own with no distractions every now and then!

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Cheers

Lee
    To learn and from time to time to apply what one has learned -- isn't that a pleasure? ---- Confucius

MAKE TRADE FAIR
    www.maketradefair.com

Well you can usually practice your San ti and stretching etc just about anywhere. I'm not to bothered about people watching me but you might want to try training earlier in the day before most people are out. Apartment complexes sometimes have tennis courts or common area's if you want some space to walk the hands or do forms etc. When its cold it can be difficult but usually you can stay fairly warm if it alot of movement your doing. The last few years I've found garages and basements to be nice to have to train in.

I don't understand the problem.

I live in a small one-bedroom apartment. My living room has enough space that I can repeat pi quan four times, then I turn around and do it again. Over and over. Same goes for the rest of the techniques.

Why do you need more space to do xingyi??
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

Yeah thats true Hau tien but I can understand were he is coming from I usually like to walk the hands over a long distance and its nice not to have to constantly turn around. Alot of the old teachers used to practice really early in the morning so people wouldnt bother them or try to figure out what there doing. I would say just practice really early.

I feel that pain regardless of the style I'm practicing - except Wing Chun - I could do Siu Lum Tao in a 4'x4' cubicle with space to spare.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Why do you need more space to do xingyi??
    Hau Tien, I can indeed do the elements to a certain extent in my living room, but I just need the room to do a couple more each way thats all, my recent frustration has arisen since I have been learning a long form (Hsing Yi Comprehensive Form) which requires a lot of space, at the moment I can only practice it properly in the park or at class, I just feel I could progress much quicker if I had the space at home, because I could practice more regularly.

Thanks for your replies, I knew I couldn't be the only one with this frustration.

Cheers

Lee
    To learn and from time to time to apply what one has learned -- isn't that a pleasure? ---- Confucius

MAKE TRADE FAIR
    www.maketradefair.com

If you can do a good santi in that space your living in, you can do xingyi. Long forms? just cut them to pieces and drill them separetly....step/ strike, and step back. Dont forget to change sides.

Consider this you christmas present.
    No Pain....No Gain

You should be able to do the entire form where you are. If you can do it in a confined space then you own that form. Anyone can do it in the park.... can you distribute power from there, from where you are? Can you change shape and maintain drive, from where you are?

I have a small one bedroom but I turned what would be the entertaining room into a small training hall. We're talking 8 paces in lenght and three in width. I have friends over and we fight in there .... of course, one of the walls is cracked now

*makes Bruce Lee noises at everyone on this thread*

Wataaa!!!

*drives away laughing*
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Wataaa hell?...LOL
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

You should be able to do the entire form where you are. If you can do it in a confined space then you own that form.
    Don't really get you there Efist.

You need a certain amount of space to do a form in, without having to stop and restart again. Tai chi, at least.

You need a certain amount of space to do a form in, without having to stop and restart again. Tai chi, at least.
    This is exactly my problem, If you stop and start too much when you actually have the room to do a long form thats exactly what you do stop and start.

But anyway everybody, the park (and the spectators) will just have to do for now, also weather plays a big part, the park is grass and in the UK this time of year its just wet and muddy.

Nevermind

Cheers

Lee

MAKE TRADE FAIR
    www.maketradefair.com

What about a Pi-Beng combo? All you need for that is a follow step.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Hey Lee, whereabouts are you? Had snow?

Thumbs up

I like open space, too.

I had one bed room apartment when I was working in New Jersey.

I may practice some empty hand forms indoor.

When I practice staff and swords. I kept hitting the ceiling or the floor.

So usually I practice outdoors.

Luckily, there was a parking lot and some grassland nearby.

Be careful with the grass, because you may slip.

So I used the parking lot a lot.

The winter snow lasted a few days usually in Jersey.

I practiced in snow, too. Just cannot move as you would without snow.

In the fall, it was beautiful. My sword would swing up fallen leaves, too.

I guess we just have to adapt and work with what we have.

Dare you practice Xing Yi Gun (staff) indoor without smashing into anything!