Thread: Relaxed Power?

Relaxed Power?

Any thoughts on how to improve it? How do you ignore tightening your muscles and just relax into strikes? Just want to hear some thoughts on this.
    Bless you

I think our internal strength, form and push hands drills do that.

Thumbs up

The root of the internal strength is from our feet.

The rest of the body and joints are transmitting this root Jin.

In order to relay this Jin without retardations or stops, we have to relax all our muscles and joints.

When you stamp your feet to the ground, there is a counter energy produced.

As if when you fire a rifle, the same amount of energy propelling the bullet forward is registered as a recoil force on the butt of the rifle.

There are several chapters in my new book discussing the theory.

Last edited by SPJ; 12-24-2004 at 08:07 AM.

relaxation is an art and a skill. go find a yoga or qigong teacher. i heard the alexander technique is pretty good too. focus on it when u train too. you know, keep it in the back of your mind while performing forms or sparring. goes a long way...

i was wondering..... maybe sumone can answer. is it not possible to have complete muscle relaxation without building tendon strength first? to me it would seem hard if your muscles are still maintaining your structure.

Re: Relaxed Power?

Originally posted by bodhitree
    Any thoughts on how to improve it?
    Practice coordinating the 'folding' of the 'creases' at your armpits and hipsockets -- open close the weighted leg, the unweighted leg, coordinating the six harmonies, then coordinated across diagnoal lines.

Practice shifting your weight back and forth holding the six harmonies, then practice turning the hips and shoulders together: turn sitting back, turn shifting forward.

Practice the five bows: connect the legs shifting from bow to empty stance at an angle; connect the arms opening the back at the scapulae; bow, settles, stretch, bounce the spine while suspending the head and sitting the pelvis. Do each separately, then together with parallel movement, then together with opposite movement.

Practice opening and closing the back at the scapulae and the waist and pelvis (close: toe-in, open: toe-out): first together, then one by one.

Practice dividing and exchanging substantial and insubstantial, start from one hand to the other, leading with your eyes, follow the feeling to your waist and legs and then back up.

Do standing postures to relax and to stretch, and then to do both.

Then add style-specific exercises.

It's funny this came up here because I was just thinking about the subject. Our instructor's instructor is here in town for a few weeks and this was one of the first things he went into. It's hard to describe his movements because he's like a tightly wound spring. He throws a move with lightning speed and it's recoiled and relaxed so quickly, you almost expect to hear a sonic boom. Shi Decheng worked specifically on movements that relaxed our bodies and he made sure we even paid attention to our facial expressions so no tension shows in our faces either. There's not a secret to it other than just relax. If you're practicing something that makes it hard for you to relax, practice something else that helps you relax, then come back to the original movement.

It's a battle for me, but I have improved just by everytime I finish a set, I breathe deeply and just relax.

yall wanna relax come to BC for the green, YEAH....

forms are fun while stoned!.

horrible on the cardio tho
    peace man

But let me add that if the form is internal and you are doing it right and are stoned you will probably have to go and sit down for a while.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Originally posted by SimonM
    But let me add that if the form is internal and you are doing it right and are stoned you will probably have to go and sit down for a while.
    by no means do i wish to be offensive...but I had a thought awhile ago about maybe opium enhanced/did something to their formwork many moons ago...like Ip Man was an addict etcetc....

never touched the stuff but if you have ever seen an opium addict while they high...they doing like a retarded version of tai chi!....they move hella slowwww mannnnn

just a thought from the god of thc but could be something to it as opium plagued china in the later years and suppossedly that's when the internal styles became famous....
    cheers