Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unbelievable....

Folks, this is truely horrible. The death toll has risen to 52000.

A silent prayer for the lost souls of this horrid tragedy.

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    Folks, this is truely horrible. The death toll has risen to 52000.

A silent prayer for the lost souls of this horrid tragedy.
    Amazing
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

scuba divers/snorklers

My friend described the coral reef where he had been scuba diving a few days earlier. Basically anyone caught there during the tsunami were ****ed... According to him, the coral was sooo sharp that just the coral debris floating in the water would cut you as you swam by... let alone if you're forced into the reef by the mass of the tsunami.

The tsunami probably affected most of the coastal sewer systems... there's going to be a LOT of health problems for the poorer folk in the areas...

Very tragic indeed...

It just gets worse!

Turns out that there *was* a warning system, but look what the logs for 0114Z 26 DEC 2004 [15 minutes after the first earthquake] said:

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001 PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS ISSUED AT 0114Z 26 DEC 2004 THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE PACIFIC BASIN EXCEPT ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA.
    .................. TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ..................
    THIS MESSAGE IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. THERE IS NO TSUNAMI WARNING OR WATCH IN EFFECT.
    AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0059Z 26 DEC 2004
    COORDINATES - 3.4 NORTH 95.7 EAST
    LOCATION - OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATERA
    MAGNITUDE - 8.0

EVALUATION
    THIS EARTHQUAKE IS LOCATED OUTSIDE THE PACIFIC. NO DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI THREAT EXISTS BASED ON HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA. THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE. THE WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER WILL ISSUE BULLETINS FOR ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA.

On 0204Z 26 DEC 2004 a second bulletin was issued. It concluded that there was still no danger to the Pacific. The waves were only minutes away from Phuket.

It was available & forwarded to the weather/marine centers in Indonesia & India, but no one issued warnings there.

One amateur vid.
    Last edited by ZIM; 12-28-2004 at 04:19 PM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Amazing
    This is the most terrible weather-type disaster I think I recall ever hearing of.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Originally posted by SimonM
    This is the most terrible weather-type disaster I think I recall ever hearing of.
    Well, it's not really 'weather-type' disaster - it's the aftermath of an earthquake. There have been far worse earthquake/volcano related disasters in the past 50 years.

Still, doesn't detract from the lives it affects...

Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
    Well, it's not really 'weather-type' disaster - it's the aftermath of an earthquake. There have been far worse earthquake/volcano related disasters in the past 50 years.

Still, doesn't detract from the lives it affects...
    I understand that it is not exactlty a weather disaster - like a hurricane - but Tsunami resulting from Earthquake is definately a "natural disaster" and that was the word I was fishing for and failed to find...

As for there being worse disasters in the past 50 years. That is possible but I am a **** sight short of 50. I'm nearly 26 and to be honest, I can't recall a specific natural phenomenon killing at least 50000 people in one go before. Now I am not a meterologist or a geologist or a climatologist; I'm a Sociologist by education so I don't profess in the slightest to be an expert. I was just trying to find some way to frame my shock and horror.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Another vid

size: 11.7mb
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

im having a really hard time trying not to imagine what it must feel like to have your child ripped from your arms by a torrent of water.

there can't be anything worse. it makes me want to cry.
    where's my beer?

As horrible as it is for the parents who've lost their children, it's even worse for the children who've lost their parents and are now orphans in that mess.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

AP reports the number over 60K. I think when its all acoounted for. It might even top 100k.

This is a natural disaster of biblical proportions.

Umm... probably chronologically backward.

India 'doesn't need' foreign aid
    19:35 (AEDT) INDIA has turned down foreign aid for victims of the tsunami that has killed tens of thousands of people across Asians, because it has "adequate resources", a government official said today.

Toddler survives two days in tree
    15:05 (AEDT) A FOUR-year-old Thai boy has been reunited with his parents after the monster wave that hit southern Thailand left him stranded in a tree without food and water for more than two days.

Aust to give $35m aid: Downer
    12:58 (AEDT) AUSTRALIA will increase its aid for the Indian Ocean tsunami disaster by $25 million, taking the total commitment to $35 million, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said today.

Toll rises to 63,114
    12:11 (AEDT) THE death toll from the Asian tsunami, triggered by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake off Indonesia, rose to 63,114 people, government and health officials said.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

MonkeyBoy Guest
    Originally posted by SifuAbel
    AP reports the number over 60K. I think when its all acoounted for. It might even top 100k.

This is a natural disaster of biblical proportions.
    Sickness and disease will triple all those numbers.

Makes last years Iran earthquake with 26 thousand dead look small.