Thread: "3 Plate, 13 Posture" system is what?

"3 Plate, 13 Posture" system is what?

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a system featured in a Chinese language book I got recently. The book is called "3 Plate 13 Posture Illustrated". The word "plate" means plate, like you eat off of. The book was written by Chen Yik Yan who also posed for the photos. The edition I have came out in the 1970s.

It seems to somehow be connected with Water Boxing (a.k.a. Liu He Ba Fa) and Chen Yik Yan was known as the inheritor of that system from Wu Yik Fan.

Anyone know anything about this system?

Take care,
    Brian

Thumbs up

Hi;

Just to say hello.

I grew up in San Chung.

I went to Er Chung primary school and Ming Tzi junior high.

Last edited by SPJ; 12-27-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Re: "3 Plate, 13 Posture" system is what?

I don't know about the system or the book but this:

Originally posted by brianlkennedy The word "plate" means plate, like you eat off of. [/B]
    ...is not right. I can practically guarantee that "plate" in this context means just "levels" or more commonly translated as "basin", as in "lowr basin training". I know the character you are referring to and yes, it does mean "plate" in a different context. But in a wushu context, it usually refers to upper, middle and lower level stances or areas of the body.

3 plates would be "san pan" 三盘

Single characters like that out of context usually have somewhat vague and abstract meanings. "pan" can refer to anything that is thought of as being circular and on a horizontal plane....like a plate.

Brian, I have the book. From what I can gather from the contents, it is a routine in Liu He Ba Fa curriculum.

PM Swimming Dragon, he is a senior under the current lineage holder of that style.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

3 plate, 13 postures......

Hmmmm... sounds like taijiquan.

I have no idea what book you are referring to but 3 "plates" and 13 "postures" is exactly what taijiquan is, and it is the same language that is used to describe it in the old days (in chinese). Sounds like Chen taijiquan, go figure.

M

www.taijigongfu.com