Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet Li Escapes Tsunami

Exclamation tsunami relief - links & comments

In case you haven't been listening to the news, one of the most massive natural disasters in history occurred the night after Christmas. Massive tidal waves have leveled entire villages and resorts in India, Thailand, and from Indonesia to Sri Lanka as well as many other areas. Every time I check news.google.com the death toll rises. At the time of this writing, the death toll is at 63,000 and rising.

Many here in the US and abroad have been affected by this event. Even Jet Li and his daughter were almost washed away by the waves flooding the hotel in the Maldives he was staying at.

But don't take my word for it - Check it out yourself

peace

herb ox
    Last edited by SevenStar; 01-04-2005 at 11:28 AM.

It's up to 68,000 now.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, so death is bad...but since no one can put a cap on birth rates then disasters like this are a necessary evil. so are wars.

anyone ever think where we would be if no one on this planet died from anything other than old age????

noses to *******s in people, that's where.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

while i don't disagree with you, now is not the time dude.
    where's my beer?

well, the problem is that no one ever wants to talk about the reality of overpopulation.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Greetings..

Nature will balance the scales on its own time.. to make light of such a trgedy or to imply its usefulness for population control is insensitive and lacking compassion for the victims and survivors.. a cold and pointless observation at an inappropriate time.. tens if not hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost, countless more are surviving on an hour by hour basis.. to downplay this disaster as anything less than unfortunate tragedy it is, is a disrespect to all the people that lost their lives and those that struggle to survive..

If overpopulation is an issue for someone, address it as such.. certainly, we all recognize overpopulation as a critical issue, but.. i greatly favor education and awareness over war and natural disaster as a control measure.. how very odd that the issue isn't so important as to be brought up independent of this tragedy, it seems very opportunistic..

Oso: I generally appreciate your posts.. this time, i do not..

Be well.. be sincere and compassionate as well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Overpopulation may be a problem, but I don't see "downsizing" in this manner as a viable solution. For anyone who does, all I can ask is: Are you willing to step up to the front of that line with your family and help solve the overpopulation problem?

It happens, and when looked at coldly and clinically one can say that it's necessary. This sort of thing I can't look at coldly or clinically. Sure, it happened "over there". Next time though it could be you & yours. An unhappy situation all around.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

how very odd that the issue isn't so important as to be brought up independent of this tragedy, it seems very opportunistic..
    actually, I have brought this up before.

not meaning to be insensitive. just realistic.

TCB, I'm not downplaying the disaster. And I actually am a very compassionate person. This disaster is surely horrible for those involved.

i greatly favor education and awareness over war and natural disaster as a control measure.
    so do I. just because I can say one thing that appears to be insensitive does not mean that I wish it to be so. It would be nice if education and awareness would be the answer. I just don't have any faith that humanity is going to save itself.

It is just my observation that modern humans can't get past the idea that we can expand and expand w/o natural disasters that have been occuring for millennium aren't going to affect us on a larger scale as we cover this planet.

Overpopulation may be a problem, but I don't see "downsizing" in this manner as a viable solution. For anyone who does, all I can ask is: Are you willing to step up to the front of that line with your family and help solve the overpopulation problem?
    you seem to think that I'm looking at this situation as a proactive thing. I'm not suggesting that wholesale slaughter of innocent people is a viable means of population control. Only that when it does happen it's the universe's way of controlling something that is out of hand.

the only way I'm going to have children is to adopt. i don't feel the need to 'spread my seed'. there is no longer a biological necessity to do so. The best answer would be for all people to stop having babies and those that want children adopt from the pool of thousands of unwanted children that there are in the world.

also, what about the wildlife? the rats, the mice, dogs and cats?

It is about balance and 'the cosmos' (you may insert God, Yawheh, Jah, the 10,000 things or whatever you believe here) evening things out.

R.I.P to everyone that died and are dying as I type this. If this would have happend in USA you'd b crying you're eyes out. So go drink your egg nog or something. Compassionate my ass.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I can understand both sides actually. It's sad what has happened. I saw a picture of a little Swedish boy holding a sign asking for his parents and two brothers who are missing .... and porbbaly dead. This is terrible.

Like wise, it was terrible when my mother got cancer, had to get hooked up to a hospice breathing machine in my house and die on my H.S. graduation morning. And then my father getting strung out on coke and me having to pick him up and take the noose off of him.

I don't write this as a "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" sob story. I write it to express that pain and suffering are a part of life, and if we like it or not the Tao shall keep all things in balance and all we can do is accept it. Some situations we can put our brain, wealth and muscle into solving some we can't.

60,000 people dying my title wave, to me, is just as sad as the kid who got hit my a bus on the corner .... families are hurting. The best I can do is hope that they will grow and learn from their experiences the same way I have learned from mine, and continue to see the lessons and reasons behind seamingly unfortunate events.

God works in mysterious ways.

PS

On a side note I saw a woman on CNN this morning who's missing a brother .... she blamed the Tsumani, caused by an earthquake, on, get this, global warming and nuclear testing.

Is it me, or have earthquakes and tidal waves been occuring on this planet for millions of years? Before man sparked the first engine or split an atom?

I understand that in a time like this people get angry and want to point blame, but it's also times like this that one reveals themself.

I don't think Oso's making light of the situation, I think he's just trying to keep it in perspective. It sucks, no one is denying that, but these things happen, it's a part of life.

oh, and for you non-americans or anyone else who wants to make slams at nationality - fukk you. If it happened in your country kristoffer you'd be crying your fukking eyes out too instead of sitting on your ass in front of a computer being self rightious.

I have college mates from Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and India.

Growing up in Taiwan, I was exposed to constant earthquakes, Typhoon, flood and mudslide.

But mountains of waves, ---

Last edited by SPJ; 12-29-2004 at 09:13 AM.

China put a brake on birth rate by "rigidly" enforcing "one child policy".

The average US family has 2.5 kids.

Population in Europe is shrinking and aging.

India soon will be the most populated state. There is no sign of slowing down.

Unfortunately, no "adequate" birth control program is in placed for poor or developing countries.
    Last edited by SPJ; 12-29-2004 at 09:11 AM.

The one thing that bothers me about this whole scenario is that the whole world is calling the U.S. cheap now.

They've been riding our a$$ for two years, nobody wants to help us after 9/11 and now they come to us with their hands out.

I feel sorry for those suffering now. But the dead are dead. Money won't bring them back. The U.S. is presently engaged in a large task in the middle east relatively on their own (after one of the worst hurricane seasons on record), so let France and other generous countries pull our weight on this one.