Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet Li Escapes Tsunami

of course they are.

That's why I'm holding out for a series of natural and man made events that will effectively knockout the current state of this planet. I can then rise up through the ranks of local gangs to create a nation of capoeira killers who will slowly spread across the globe forcing the people to bend to my will and do what I say.

Originally posted by ZIM
    ...And naturally the email scammers are trying to cash in on the tragedy....
    i would be very happy to personally knife **** any sick **** that would take advantage of a situation like this.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 12-30-2004 at 08:37 PM.
    where's my beer?

ahhhhhh

can't believe I actually read all these posts at one time

and not be drunk or on drugs

I think I'll correct that oversight right now

kung lek ....
    These two things are necessary to ones Kungfu. Without them (compassion and charity) there is something missing from "kungfu".
    interestingly enough jackie chan gave over 60k from his own pocket. at least according to cnn he did.
    where's my beer?

Greetings..

First, i humbly apologize if i have misinterpreted anyone's posts..

But, in this time of tragedy and loss on a scale almost beyond belief, i am amazed that folks can elaborate about the philosophical nature of this event.. maybe next year at this time it might be slightly more acceptable.. but, sitting here in the relative safety of our little computer nests and expressing anything less than grief for the departed and best wishes for the survivors (and, you can do that with a check to a reputable relief agency, too).. is callous and disrespectful.. As has been said, when disaster appears on our own doorsteps the perspective seems to have a different impact..

I suppose that i am too willing to believe that human nature is inherently harmonious and well-intended, that chaos and ill-will are acquired or cultivated qualities.. many people tell me i'm an idealist and that the opposite is actually the case.. often the evidence supports that point of view, but.. if i give up my belief in my fellow humans it would greatly diminish the quality of life i currently enjoy..

I sense that most people that take "oh well, it's just Life, accept it" attitudes are just trying to express their "seasoned veteran" personality.. or show how "Tao" they are.. but, for me, my compassion wells up without solicitation, and i express it as a part of the nature of "who i am", the Tao of me.. sure, i can accept this for what it is intellectually and philosophically.. but, that perspective is tempered with the huge loss of life and the magnitude of immediate needs for survival and the long-term rebuilding of the regions affected.. i grieve for the human family.. and am shocked by those that don't.. forgive me if my shock sounds too abrasive.. A tragedy such as this, by my account, is not subject to the tallies and scores of quibbling nations.. it was/is an unpreventable sudden natural disaster that separated hundreds of thousands of people from their souls.. my heart and my resources go out to them..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I don't know, TCB.

Not to argue with your sentiment, as I agree with it, but as I was watching the news last evening, I noted tha many of the makeshift hospitals set up were Buddhist temples.

Which got me thinking. If religious/philosophical beliefs have any value, aren't they for, especially, events like this?

Do the monks view it in any particular way while they do the all-important work of helping? I'm certain of it. And I'm certain it has something to do with valuing the person they have right in front of them, whether dead or alive.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

This is the largest loss of life to happen in one day that any of us have ever been in existance to witness. I personally take this as an omen. Not the "from above" kind. But the we need to wake up kind. Segregation and hatred has always been a major player in this world. This is just a small example of the fact that we are all in this together. Life. My sorrow goes out to those that have lost the most precious possesion of all, life, family, and safety. I truly hope that welcoming this new year with such a travesty will help those of us who are able to make a difference in the quality of life for all; do just that. I give you all, and those who cannot read this, the best of wishes from my family of one. May we all continue to move forward on a mission of peace.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Greetings..

ZIM: i'm not sure i follow your connection to my post(s).. i do not disagree with what you have last posted..

PangQuan: Thanks for sharing..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Thumbs up

Agreed.

At the moment of a disaster and huge loss of human lives, any words would seem to be detached, cold and heartless.

As they said, everything is without words or speechless.

Alhambra is a predominantly Chinese community in east LA county. They raised over 100,000 $. At one time, there were over a hundred people waiting in line to donate.

A friend in need is a friend indeed. So they said.

Originally posted by TaiChiBob

ZIM: i'm not sure i follow your connection to my post(s).. i do not disagree with what you have last posted..
    No worries, TCB.
    The connection was more along the lines of amplification, hopefully exploring areas [Buddhist views, etc] more in tune for a MA board. Can't really find those viewpoints in mainstream news, after all.

Speaking of which, does Gene [as a lay monk] have any particular commentary on the tragedy? I'd be curious to read it.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

attn: Canadian brothers and sisters.

http://www.redcross.ca

give what you can afford, then give a little more.

For every dollar you give red cross Canada for the tsunami relief effort, the Canadian government will match it.

Make your money do something that is needed to be done urgently.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Anyone know if the U.S. government has such a program in place? I haven't checked out Red Cross in the U.S. yet, I was looking at some other groups.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

I have yet to hear ANY of these "humanitarian liberal do gooders" in Hollywood donate SHlT yet!

Susan Sarandon, where the FvCK r u when people really need you?

Probably still trying to free the "COP KILLER" mumia.

Makes you wonder where do their principles really lay.

I would be less concerned with hollywood and more concerned with what I could do, but that's just me.

Too many people take an opportunistic spin on a majour tragedy... sometimes nothing is really done at all, and example being the earthquake in Bam, Iran.

There was huge loss of life in a single country, and yet, after a few days, nothing more.

anyway, not the point.
    the point is there are some organizations that have the ability to get on teh ground and distribute aid quickly. Thre are a lot of organizations who will take the money, but can't implement. THink about this when you help out if you help out.

Give the much needed cash to those who can implement and distribute. Don't throw your money into a bureaucratic hole, or a possible exploiter or to an organization that has all the best intentions but is impotent.

anyway, ttt, and a reminder that tehse folks are gonna need help, do your new years resolutions include helping others more? Here is your chance.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs up

Sandra Bullock donated 1 Mil.

She donated the same amount post 9-11.