Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wu Style Tai Chi?

Wu Style Tai Chi?

This is my first post on the Kung Fu Magazine forums, so first I'll say, "Hi".

I live in Toronto Canada, and I'm thinking about joining a Wu Style Tai Chi school located downtown.

I see lots of info about Yang and Chen styles, but little about Wu. I understand its basically Chen style with some modified stances. Is that right or wrong? Anyone have more info, or would anyone be willing to counsel me a little?

Thanks much,
    Shawn
    Doctors: "Mr. Simpson, this procedure MAY increase your brain power ... OR it may KILL you!"

Homer: "Increase my killing power, eh? I'll do it!"

Shawn,
    Welcome.
    If it is the school I am thinking of, you have found one of the best. I believe they are the senior most Wu players in North America. I tried to visit a couple of years ago on a quick trip to Toronto, but they were closed (EVERY **** thing is closed on Sunday in Toronto!!!!).
    My first Mantis teacher touched hands with these guys before, and he was left in awe by the teachers (sorry can't remember names right now) ability to manhandle him. He said he has seen very few people before, and since that had the abilities the Wu family had up there.
    This all being said, go check them out and go with your gut instinct!
    As for more details about Wu....many other much more qualified to answer that! I do know this, it is one of the most brutally effective Taiji styles I have seen. I like is better than Chen or Yang, but still prefer Sun. Sun and Wu are very similar though.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Thanks. Thats re-assuring. I had planned a visit as you suggest - I'm still waiting for a reply to my email inquiry.

I'll post some follow up info after meeting with them.

Incidentally, can anyone suggest the proper etiquette when visiting a Tai Chi school? Is there accepted etiquette? Do I just be polite and quiet?

shawn
    Doctors: "Mr. Simpson, this procedure MAY increase your brain power ... OR it may KILL you!"

Thumbs up

I like Wu style, too. Even though I was taught Chen.

Wu style came from Yang Lu Chan.

Since the clothing is restrictingly long silk sleeve in the Imperial palace, Wu moves are more elegant and refined or small.

Wu Jian Quan was a Manchurian royalty later adopted Han Chinese name.

Yang taught the small frames of Yang style to the royalties. Some said Yang was withholding some info for Han Chinese.

Anyway, I enjoyed the Wu style and Wu Shi Tai Ji Jian (swordplay).

Best of luck.

Be polite and sincere.

And have fun.

I think of all the taiji styles Wu, would be hardest to learn. Circles are very small and tight. Looks like it would require a very high degree of expertise to use. Not an easy to style to start out in I would think.
    enjoy life

Thanks for the info. I'm getting more excited to start training Wu. As for it being a tough style, thats actually very encouraging. I was afraid maybe it was a "Junior" Tai Chi style, but sounds like its the real deal. I've been training for about 12 years (off and on in different style), but this will be the first, pure Chinese internal style (other than Qigung, but thats a different topic). I'm getting really anxious to start.

shawn

Hi Shawn,

Rather than go into a lengthy discourse on the history and properties of Wu style taijiquan, let me steer you to our website:

www.northernwu.com

Let me know any questions you might have afterward.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry
    www.northernwu.com

If Dave Dolbear is teaching, you can bet it will be very good.

Dave won't remember me but one summer, at Jou Tsung Hwa's Tai Chi Farm, he taught the Pao Chui form. Excellent teacher, still have him on tape and boy do I wish I had taken some of the Wu style he teaches.

Please say "hello" to Dave from me.

Good man!
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Hi RAF,

Dave Dolbear is indeed our teacher. I've been training Northern Wu style taiji with him for about 6 years. We had Dave's primary Wu style teacher from Beijing, Liu Chang Jiang, with us here in Syracuse all summer. Quite an experience!

Larry
    Larry
    www.northernwu.com

Wu Style is definetly more complex then say branches like YCF Yang.

Nothing against this branch just MHO.

That's a great school your looking into, alot of history and material.

In regards to Wu from chen. While Wu came from YLC's tai chi. Modern research has the material that YLC learned coming from the Jiang Fa material which is commonly known today as Zhao Bao Tai Chi.

Just one look at this style and it all makes sense.

Everyone wants a piece of the action! Thar's gold in them thar hills!LOL

Larry you are quite lucky.

Train well and have a good New Year!
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Here's a link to the school in Toronto.

http://www.wustyle.com

I'll report back after visiting with them. Thanks for all the feedback.

shawn

Wu style is primarily based on the teachings of quan yao (wu). And this comes from his training from Yang Lu Chan and Yang Ban Hao
    but not to miss his MA training he had previously. Remember he was a body guard, etc.

A look at the Wu Fast Form (i call it the combat set) being taught from ma Yu Liang's group contains alot of the elements found in Modern Chen Style.

And from what I hear it looks very similar to some of the yang Ban hao material as well.

Yang Lu Chan is known to have had more than 1 hand form in his curriculum. Many Yang lineages keep them alive but only for disciples/etc. This is documented by disciples of yang cheng fu.

Modern Chen is just that. We have only 1/2 the story of what was being taught in the chen village over the more than 300 years. Whats being taught today is mateiral that has been compiled from atleast 5 sources.

Have heard of your teacher, postive things. Just talking about how good he is doesn't do it. The skill of his students will be the tell tale sign in the end.

There's a Wu Master out here in California.

http://www.wustyletaichi.com/

interesting.

I wonder if there's a lineage chart on the web which shows the major branches of the Wu style taij quan.