Thread: Bodyweight plyometrics and speed training

Bodyweight plyometrics and speed training

There has been a lot of critique on plyometric exercises. Usually it's said that you shouldn't be doing plyo before having conciderable maximum strength. Is this really the case even with bodyweight plyo? I mean, isn't it good idea to do bodyweight plyo in the class, because you don't usually have access to any weights? Isn't it better than doing regular calisthenics, when training for speed and maximum strength?

Anyway. What do you think is the correct rep range and pace for plyometric exercises? I guess the idea isn't to train to failure, or is it?

How about pure speed training? I guess plyometrics are kind of like speed training, but is the rep range different when training purely for speed?

Does anyone know any good matrial arts oriented plyometric training schemes?

If you are serious about your training you should begin lifting weights, and wait til you have established a solid strength base before doing plyometrics. And IMO really advanced plyometrics like depth jumps off a 36 inch box should not be attempted unless under supervision of a coach. Most athletes probably don't need these anyway.

A big big reason for establishing a strength base is to prevent injury.

BTW looking at your periodization plan, I think weight training will be very very helpful in achieving your goals.

JMO. Good luck.

Remember that even tho it's only your bodyweight, if you jump off a platform, for example, you're landing (and rebounding) with the equivalent of more than your bodyweight due to gravity and the speed you gained on your way down.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Well. Kungfu training is basically one big plyometric exercise. Therefore I don't see the danger in doing basic plyometric exercises. I'm not talking about any hardcore plyometrics. Something like jumping lunges, switching sides jumping from sei ping ma to sei ping ma, frog leaps, clapping hands in push ups etc.