Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tiger crane

tiger crane

is anyone here learning tiger crane?, i have jsut started, i have been lernting for about 2 mouths, annd i love it!, i would love to know some training tips etc from anyone

tiger crane.. ie hung ga?

or a system, or a style, or a form from another style?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

some hung gar goes by tiger and crane.

these two sites will cover any basic questions and tips.

www.hungkuen.net
    www.siulam.info

if you need more info, go to the southern fist forum associated with the above two site.

you mean Nam Yang Tiger Crane? If so, then it's not the same as Hung Gar

www.namyang.co.uk

PE
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

There is Hung Kuen and there is Hung Gar and there is nan siu lahm fu hok and there are myriad "village" styles that go the 5 animals route of shaolin and look more or less like hung kuen.

but yeah, that site will answer some questions about Hung Gar and Hung Kuen.

the tiger crane delineation has been around for a while.

Hung is pretty big, but it just isn't always called Hung.
    go figure. lol

it has a lot to do with revolution and diaspora though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm learning a version of this form. By the structure of the form you can understand why it's a pillar form to the Hung Gar system. Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

the triger crane stlye i'm learing is Nam Yang sorry i should of put that!, but it is very intresting to know about all the other stlyes, and i'll have a look at the other sites anywheres, cheers

I couldn't tell you the exact origins of the Tiger Crane form I'm learning. I've learned the Ng family version before. From what I've seen there's a lot of versions of the same form floating around out there with some cosmetic differences; however, the underlying structure and principles are the same.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Tiger crane rocks. One of my favorite.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

hmmm....
    Hung Gar and Hung Kuen ..its the same!
    Hung -the name
    Gar - family
    Kuen - fist

Some say Hung Gar some say Hung Kuen..

And some (like themeecer) say... Shaolin-Do!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Question

Um ... ok

?
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

I have a tiger crane form on this video tape called tiger crane double shape fist it comes from Cho Ga family Wing Chun .

Hung Gar and Hung Kuen are actually just a little bit different.

Hung Gar is "Hung Family" and is generally used by the denoted lineages that drop down from Hung Hei Gwun and through those line.

Hung Kuen can contain those lineages and so, it is seen as same , especially by Hung Gar stylists, but in actuality "Hung or Hong" is a major branch of both Northern and Southern Chinese martial arts. Particularly Shaolin.

So, if we are talking in context to teh name of teh emperor or Hung then yes, they are teh same and interchangeable in that context, but if we are talking about the name Hung as in Red, then it gets different and if we are talking about surname Hung, again, we are looking at something different again.

Many schools do not do or name the so called pillar sets the same as one family to the next and have completely opted out of using Hung at all except in loose homage to the earlier practitioners. These schools are generally knowing that they have a connection to Hung-emperor or hung- red or hung-surname but do not fall under the more known and popular lineages and so call their art by its mandarin name or they call it simply nan siu lam or they call it fu hok or tiger crane.

Trust me, there are no families that can be considered "the same" when it comes to Hung Gar or Hung Kuen or Tiger Crane or Nan siu lahm in general. You would be surprised at the differences across time and especially in expression.

So, yes there is a deeper bond between them, but there are many things that cross over in a very general way from shaolin into many styles of chinese martial arts. everyone has horse stance, everyone has bow and arrow, everyone has empty leg, everyone has twist horse, everyone has flat/vertical and uppercut fists either swing or pistoning and so on...you get teh point.

If we look at the minutia, while all Hung is together united, in practice they aren't and in form they definitely aren't. So there is a delineation from hung fist and hung family. you can be a proficient practitioner of the fist aspect without necessarily being a member of the recognized family (of which there are only a few lineages which still can't account for the diaspora of the Hung fist outside those lineages).
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by cerebus
    And some (like themeecer) say... Shaolin-Do!
    And me too. But I'll have to say that if you didn't know that a person was doing SD's version of Tiger Crane (and it was a good SD person who had taken the time to learn the form right), no one here would complain very much about the form or the performance. I can't say that about all of our material, but I can say this with confidence.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 12-28-2004 at 06:45 AM.