Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who do Qi Shou

For those who do Qi Shou

For those of you that play the Babu set Qi Shou (Seven Hands), do you do it on one side only, or do you change sides on the turn back? Just curious.

Thanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Left & right, back & forth.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    We start in a left lead tong long bow sim and turn around and come back repeating it for a second road but it's still starting from the left lead...so, at this point I personally haven't been doing it on the other side...yet...not sure about yushan or 18elders or ponglai...

you guys do a 2-person?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I could be thinking of a seperate drill,...
    (Still reeling in from the new years parties! LOL!)
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Oso
    Their is a two person but I never picked it up. Qi Shou was something my first teacher Keith Weiner Laoshi taught me in an afternoon, and then we just worked on techniques from their and never focused on the actual sets too much.
    BTL
    I also know your guys' Qi Shou, and yes it is totally different. Sorry for the confusion.
    What we are reffering too is an Ba Bu Tanglang remedial form that has what they consider seven of the basic techniques found in Eight Step Mantis.

Thanks Guys, keep it coming
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Ba Bu Qi Shou

Hi Jake!

Sent you a pm on this. I have voiced my opinion about this fabulous little form here more than once. True entry level, but as Tainan Mantis so rightly said, it is full of nuances. Shr ZhengZhong spiced this form up for us over the summer. One thing he did was change the deng pu to a deng ta, this was interesting. The form itself is a fun start to Mantis, but I do feel the two-person is not so easy. The two-person I learned is high energy stuff... for a short burst anyway.

Also, there are alot of two- man drills in this form. Eight Step is a Mantis Style I`d like to pursue.

Jotcha,..I just need to actually read the posts.
    My mind is clearer today than yesterday.
    Didn't see the ba-bu before. Thanks for clarifying.
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

yu shan: do we switch sides later? seems like it would be simple enough to just turn out the other way after the last long arm strike...but of course then you are looking at learning the ling side off side as well....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Anyone have a video clip of at least part of this form?
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

I can't remember the exact name of the site but there is a babu site with a clip of GM Wei performing it.

I have a clip on my site of two of my students doing the two person at a tourney but the site is temporarily out of commission.

hopefully it will be up later today.

went to look for that website but couldn't find it.

found this though...has some old pics on it towards the bottom.

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/moses/1049/id21.htm

www.babutanglang.com is the shiznitz site for Babu Mantis.
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

das it !

Smile Qishou...

Tainan shared his version of Qishou with me. I have to say this little form is central to what I am working on now. This is an excellent form on power generation with roots, short power, closing gaps, etc... It is also great for teaching the concept of Chang Quan Duan Da (long fist short strikes) and keep blasting forward.

I actually starts off the 2 men with some Kao Da stuff before getting into the Tanglang Puchan instead of the regular salutation stuff.

We would also start off with different Puchan apps but would lead back into the form. BTW, there is a way to start off like the 2 Men Bengbu as in Ponglai style but it takes a little more work on the connecting part. It is not as easily learn for the novice. So I don't generally do that but it is a fun way as well.

Because of the different ways of starting off the form and the little changes here and there. It gives the novice a broader view on how things are done in Mantis IMHO. This is surely a great form that even the experienced won't feel board to play. You could have hours of fun just by practicing the 2 Men of this form.

Mantis108

PS you could stay being the same size if you have room for as long as you want or you could switch size at the end of the road. That's my take on it.
    Last edited by mantis108; 01-06-2005 at 01:02 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Three harmonies,
    Allow me to introduce myself, My name Is Shrfu Michael Haley, student of Shyun Kwan Long. I was wondering where and from whom you are learning 8 step. I was not aware of anyone from the family teaching in N.M But i might just be out of touch LOL, please repsond back and let me know , thanks so much

In answer to your question, we do practice it bothe sides, not easy to do at first but you can also apply this to the eights as well and it makes for interesting learning to say the least,
    How long have you been training in 8 step, what level are you ? good luck and be well,
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Nice to meet your acquaintance Mr. Haley. You are not out of touch, nor going crazy, I am not part of your lineage. I learned all my Babu from the Wu Tang organization under my first teacher Keith Weiner Laoshi, and then later under Yang Shu Ton Laoshi. I practice the forms and techniques taught to me, but I only include the sets in the childrens curriculum. In the adult classes we focus on Liu He and Mei Hua Tanglang. I teach here in NM, as all my teachers are out of state/country. I am not sure what you mean by "level," as I still consider myself a student even though I teach. I am the only traditional Mantis for hundreds of miles around, so I had few options when Keith left town. I have trained in Babu Tanglang for app. 5 1/2 years. I only know a few sets. Enough ranting about me, if you want to see my full credentials go to www.threeharmonies.com
    Where are you out of Earthdragon?
    If you are interested I am offering a weekend seminar next weekend on the Bai Yuan Tao Toe set from Mei Hua along with as many apps I can cram down everyones throat! I would be honored if you could attend. If not, I understand it is short notice. Will you be at the Mantis Gathering in Cleveland weekend of April 22nd? Hope to meet you soon.

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com