Thread: Calculate the hits

Question Calculate the hits

I am practising MA for about 3-4 Years.I would like to know if there is a way to calculate the force of my hits.(in Kg)I show once on discavery chanel a device but it looked rather expensive.I know it will not help me in my training but i am very curious.

This is my first thread.

Erny.Greece

Welcome to the forums....

The only way I know is those machines.....

Load cells aren't cheap. Neither is the computer that reads the data. The less scientific way is to have someone hold focus mits for you.... and hit them until they go ouch... then you know you are hitting hard enough..
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

here's what you do.

Tape a regular old bathroom scale to your heavy bag. Make sure it's on there good an tight. Then get a freind to hold the bag while you punch the sheeeit out of that scale!

Also, when you do this make sure you get lot's of pictures and post them on this forum

well,.... all i have is one of those doctor scales that has the slidey weights on it. looks like i'll need someone else to move the little slidey weights on the scale for me.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

On a serious note, if you punch a bathroom scale, you're not in contact with it long enough for it to give a good reading.

Just ask a friend to hold focus mits, or see if you can break a thicker board or something.

That's a good question, tho. After a while it's probably hard to see if you're able to hit harder or not.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I disagree that it wouldn't be useful. If there was a practical way to gauge the force of your strikes accurately, then you could estimate the effectiveness of certain training programs and accelerate your power development. Currently power development is a hit-and-miss affair for most people. Sure you can tell if you're progressing with boards, but you can't tell if you're making progress in incriments smaller than what's required to break one. It's those smaller increments that would let you know if you were training correctly or not since as a form of strength training you should be steadly progressing in progressivly smaller increments as time goes on.
    Bodhi Richards

Hi Erny,

There used to be a type of cylindrical makiwara that measured the power of your punch through compression but that was many yeards ago.

A less scientific but low budget version would involve the use of a very dense and heavy bag with bells of varying sizes and densities on it, from those little ball bells that you would place on the collar of a kitten to cow bells. The more bells you ring from your strike, the more power you have.

Just an idea.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-20-2005 at 04:22 PM.