Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 18 Louhan Hands question

18 Louhan Hands question

Wasthis one of the original exercises of Da Mo? Or added later?

Also, can anyone describe what it is in Song Shan Shaolin?

I have a tape of the Mantis set, but I donot think it is the actual 18 Louhan Hands, I think it is something called that in Mantis lineages and has it's own purpose and intent.

Also, as *I* understand it, the 18 Louhan Hands is a very important Qi Gong set of Shaolin. This being so, how come there is no video on it from Shaolin? We see Xue Xui Jing, and Yi Jin Jing, why not 18 Louhan? The martial sets are around, why not the Qi Gong?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

who knows really

I've personally seen 5 sets from Song Shan Shaolin Temple Style and while some similarities alot of differences.

Some classify the different forms as roads, Part 1, 2, 3......

also there is the 18 lohan hands and 18 lohan palms

?????

Where thay all called 18 Louhan hands? Was the general nature the same? Example, were they all posture holding sets?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

There are several versions of the 18 Lohan floating around. I've never seen a definitive source.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yeah, that's why I am trying to narrow it down to what Song Shan Shaolin is doing. I'd like to know what the Temple itself teaches as 18 Louhan Hands.

So far, all I have seen on it appears to be from Choy Lay Fut lines. That one is a static posture holding set consisting of 18 postures, some repeted in more thn one variety.

The other is from Mantis, but appears to be a more reacent creation and is 18 sets of 3 moving Qi Gong exercises. I'm trying to narrow it down to versions most like the original, but I can't find any video or cd source of the set, only Yi Jin Jing and Xui Xue Jing. Theres lots of those.

For the Women:

+ = & a

If you go to cmaod.com they have an 18 lohan hands vcd this is the origonal set that the others are derived from it is explosive and easy to learn. Wushu/Qigong mag also did an article with DeRu (Shawn Liu) that demonstrated the set you can go to their website and check back issues it was about a year ago.
    Self Proclaimed Grandmaster of Idiot Style

COOL!! Checking it out now, thanks!

For the Women:

+ = & a

I have the vcd and the mags. If you have trouble let me know and I will see if i can find them and give you more detail.

martial set vs qigong

michael,
    the de ru article you mention refers to the lohan martial set, which royal dragon seems to be aware of according to his first post. however, he's looking for the lohan qigong. nonetheless, rd, if you are interested in seeing a slightly different variation of that set (b/c there are several roads at songshan shaolin), just drop me a pm or see the de yang clip at russbo. de yang taught a similar version at my school, and we were taught that it is supposed to be one of the oldest forms, so i dont know if songshan still has an 18 hands qigong set like nonshaolin schools do.

also, rd, aboutshaolin (must login) has this
    on what lohan shibashou is at songshan, though it differs from my forms.
    Last edited by oasis; 01-22-2005 at 03:26 AM.

It says I have to be a "Level 6" to access the articals on that site

For the Women:

+ = & a

The site does not have much of an explanation of the set. It it a moving set, or do you hold the postures?

It's interestingly simple. I though it would be more like the Choy Lay Fut version.

For the Women:

+ = & a

That site is great. Just go through the registration process and respond to theie e-mails. You will be a level 6 in a day or two.

CLF supbakluohansao is not static but dynamic.

The one I was shown is just holding each posture of the set for periods of times starting about 30 second each, to as much as 10 minutes each posture. The only movement was the brief transition between postures.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I am well versed on the Lohan system and its history.

All the lohan named forms in any southern chinese martial art style are from after 1644 and often they are named in HONOR of the 18 lohan, not cause they are derived from the original Shaolin Lohan forms. Most of the southern Lohan comes from the Five Ancestors style of south china.

The 18 Lohan Chi Gung of Northern Seven Star Mantis was also designed relatively recently and also in honor of the 18 lohan, but it is a chi-gung form that they developed based on some sound ideas.

The 18 lohan chi gung of Shaolin, the original one, is really the same thing as the Yi Jin Jing. Its just a another name for it.
    And it did not come from Damo, that's fake story.

There are various lohan forms from Shaolin that are way over 1,000 years old. These are martial arts forms, they are the
    18 Lohan Fists form.
    the Xiao Lohan
    the Da Lohan (which is almost forgotten now in Shaolin there are like 3 people that know it all the way through)
    the 18 Lohan Hands forms ( a series of short forms).
    The Lao Jia Lohan (a lost form)
    and some other ones.

The Lohan style is one of the first forms from Shaolin, it was developed by mixing Shuai Jiao with boxing. All the moves can be done as takedowns or as boxing, but nowadays only a few people know the takedowns, but they are easier to discipher of you know Shuai Jiao.
    The other oldest Shaolin form is the Xin Yi Bar, which is based on farming moves and the moves of the local farm and wild animals.
    It is a root form to modern Xin Yi Quan and Xingy Yi Quan.
    Next came the Pao Quan forms, fully developed by the Tang Dynasty.