Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Qi Gong

azwingchun Guest

Wing Chun Qi Gong

I have seen various schools Wing Chun schools that do many different Qi Gong exercises. The obvious is the SLT Qi Gong, does anyone know of or practice any Qi Gong with the other forms such as in Chum Kiu, Bui Gee or even the pole or knife forms? The reason I ask this is because I have been taught this in other forms other than in SLT and wanted to see if anyone else was taught this as well. Or maybe other sets outside of the forms. :cool:

dlew308 Guest

interesting

Is there any danger in doing qi gong as part of SLT etc? Would there be a difference in doing qi gong before one starts practicing instead of during forms?

kungfu cowboy Guest
    I have heard rumors of spontaneous combustion.

"If do right, no can defense!"----Mr. Miyagi

dlew308 Guest
    har har :p

dlew308 Guest

SLT

I was reading how you develop qi doing SLT very slow. I will ask my Sifu about this. We've done Qi Gong before SLT before, I found it very fun.

aelward Guest

Wing Tsun Qi Gong

I saw this demonstration tape of German WT, and they have apparently developed a WT qigong for healing. The demonstration consisted of a guy using his WT skills to beat up bad guys, but getting a little hurt in the process. Along comes a WT Qigong practitioner who uses it to heal him up so he can fight again.

Not an interesting plot, but a fun watch all the same. Unfortunatley, I don't know the name of the tape.

JK-
    "Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

whippinghand Guest

breathing

As I understand it, it all comes down to how you breath with each movement. Not just in and out, but variations of them.

So, to answer the question, yes, it is practised in the other forms.

azwingchun Guest

Qi Gong

Not sure if I asked my question properly, so here it goes again. We all know of the Qi Gong in SLT (pretty basic), but what about the other 4 forms (including weapons). We do Qi Gong in Bui Gee, do any of you do this? How about in the Chum Kiu, the pole form, and even possibly the knive form? I have been told that within the 3 main forms that there are anywhere between 3-6 different Qi Gong sets within them not counting the ones in the weapon forms. Or maybe you Wing Chun people out there have some outside the forms?

whippinghand Guest
    Yes, Qigong is to be practised in all facets of the art.

popsider Guest
    I don't think all lineages of wing chun even have qigong in SLT let alone other forms.

dlew308 Guest

hmm

We need Big Blue, I mean RR, to answer :)

Thumbs up Wing Chun Master Brings Chi Gong for Healing

Long Beach, California – Aug 12th, 2010 - West Coast Wing Chun announces the arrival of Grandmaster Samuel
    Kwok, founder of the Samuel Kwok Wing Chun Martial Art Association based in the UK, to Southern
    California.

Grandmaster Kwok will conduct a seminar in Chi Gong for Healing on October 10th, 2010 at the Belmont Shores
    Chalet in Long Beach, California. Although Grandmaster Kwok teaches through out Europe, Asia, South
    America, Africa and Australia, this will be his first seminar in California, and the first time he has chosen to
    teach Chi Gong healing to the public.

Kwok is acclaimed world wide for his Wing Chun Kung Fu skills and has dedicated his life to the preservation
    of Wing Chun Kung Fu as taught by Grandmaster Ip Man, teacher to the late Bruce Lee. Kwok has been
    awarded a BA honor from Manchester University for his lifetime achievement and promotion of martial arts, and
    the Samuel Kwok Wing Chun Martial Art Association extends to affiliates across six continents.
    Grandmaster Kwok has practiced Chi Gong concurrently to Wing Chun Kung Fu for forty years and considers it
    an important component of martial arts training. Kung fu practitioners in China have used Chi Gong to build and
    harness internal power for thousand of years. A strike thrown with concentrated and channeled energy is
    considered far more effective than an “empty” strike.

In addition to its importance in kung fu, Chi Gong is used through out China in self-healing practices, and
    ubiquitously by the medical community. Grandmaster Kwok, though known world-wide for his
    expertise in kung fu, has shared little of his life as a healer. He has spent his life-time as a psychiatric nurse
    practicing in England where he resides, and has used his skills in Chi Gong to facilitate and manifest healing
    within his patients.

Chi Gong is also used in meditative practices in both Buddhist and Taoist traditions. Meditative training in Chi
    Gong focuses on breathing, chi or energy direction, deep concentration and intent, and acts as a tool for selfrealization.
    Samuel Kwok has decided to conduct his first Chi Gong healing seminar with West Coast Wing Chun, an
    affiliate Wing Chun school residing in Long Beach, Ca. West Coast Wing Chun's chief instructor, Sifu Bryan
    Talbot has practiced kung fu for thirty-seven years, and Chi Gong for nearly twenty years.

In addition, he is a certified and practicing Reiki Master, as well as massage therapist. For more information,
    contact West Coast Wing Chun's seminar hotline at 562-546-2805 or their main number at 562-612-7332. Email
    inquiries may be forwarded to westcoastwingchun@ipmankungfu.com.

Chi Kung in Wing Chun

Does your Wing Chun have Chi Kung Exercises outside of Sil Lim Tau?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoFkCm7WOQ

One Wing Chun Exercise I practice is:

Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 01-01-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Does any one have videos on the following?

Are there any more videos of the others?

1.Rising arms begins by expanding the whole body vertically, from toes to fingers.

2.Yielding breath works on stretching the whole body in a slightly different way, bending the wrists backwars. This form is often used to link the others together when practiced in sequence.

3.Side-to-side waist turns the hips and torso of a practitioner, working the waist (an important component trained for power in the boxing system) in a horizontal manner.

4.Side diaphram bends, works the waist and also involves stretching the intercostal muscles (used heavily in the sinking and rising methods of wing chun kuen).

5.Single hoof, so named because it focuses on one hand at a time, is almost identical to the threading exercises seen in systems like baguazhang. This helps work the flexibility of the bridges and the balance in conjunction with the backwards and forwards movement of the waist.

6. Expanding chest serves to fortify the chest which is often "sunken" in wing chun kuen boxing, stretching through the pectorals and shoulders, and continues the whole body work of the yielding breath.

7. Dropping power is also seen in the hei gung of other arts. The skyward reaching of the arms, combined with a complete squatting and rising of the legs, works the entire body and end the series with the practitioner feeling fully invigorated.

8.Overturning arms completes the body of the exercises, reaching out and over in the horizontal plane. Following this, both the back and the dan tian are usually stimulated.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Does your Wing Chun have Chi Kung Exercises outside of Sil Lim Tau?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoFkCm7WOQ

One Wing Chun Exercise I practice is:

interesting, looking at the link, I was taught that drill using a cup of water on each hand rather than a plant, and it wasn't a chi kung drill but rather a double broadsword drill. still cool to see that it's a chi kung drill as well.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...