Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Qi Gong

I am not sure I see how the body methods in the video or in the picture are supportive WCK body methods?

Yes, WCK has chi gung training. In HFY, we have Jiam Jong/faat ging training along with keun jong/dip gwat gung SLT training. They focus on different aspects, but they are performed with proper WCK upright posture and body methods.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

That's a variation on the teacup drill seen in a lot of different IMA. Typically it's driven by the waist in a manner that's alien to wing chun. Till you put up a video of how exactly you do it, I can't see if it can be done in away that agrees with the wing chun body characteristic.

Best,

**EDIT**

I missed the link in the first post. That's bagua body, not WC.
    Last edited by Eric_H; 01-01-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I am not sure I see how the body methods in the video or in the picture are supportive WCK body methods?

Yes, WCK has chi gung training. In HFY, we have Jiam Jong/faat ging training along with keun jong/dip gwat gung SLT training. They focus on different aspects, but they are performed with proper WCK upright posture and body methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    That's a variation on the teacup drill seen in a lot of different IMA. Typically it's driven by the waist in a manner that's alien to wing chun. Till you put up a video of how exactly you do it, I can't see if it can be done in away that agrees with the wing chun body characteristic.

Best,

**EDIT**

Hey dudes, the new year just started, and the new fantasies had just started. At lease let him float in it for awhile before you'all popping those bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Does your Wing Chun have Chi Kung Exercises outside of Sil Lim Tau?[/IMG]
    No.

Such exercises may be of value, and individual instructors may use them supplementally, but it is not a part of our Ving Tsun.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Hey dudes, the new year just started, and the new fantasies had just started. At lease let him float in it for awhile before you'all popping those bubbles.
    ================================================
    wtxs

Some folks are more patient- I don't like to waste my time with his posts.

joy chaudhuri

Yes the video is Wing Chun Vid?

An yes you can use a tea cup, egg, or saucer...I perfer to use a boading balls.

If its Chi Kung surely it would deviate from the fighting method. Maybe the chi kung drills do something more like heal the body from the common methods you have your body in. Like hyperextension with a chiroprator.

Some drills build jing. others do things like heal!!!

Best,

**EDIT**

Thanks for your opionion! I got the wording off a yuen kay san website!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    No.

Such exercises may be of value, and individual instructors may use them supplementally, but it is not a part of our Ving Tsun.
    Thanks for your opinion...so you dont have chi kung in your wing chun?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    wtxs

joy chaudhuri
    What is the purpose of your chi kung methods?

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post

The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Smile

Does your Wing Chun have Chi Kung Exercises outside of Sil Lim Tau?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoFkCm7WOQ

One Wing Chun Exercise I practice is:

That's a ba gua drill. Call it wc qi gong, ba gua, whatever....

My point is that these types of gungs should be done separately from the style because the style doesn't contain everything. It's a good health drill. A lot of "qi gong" is just calisthenics done slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    wtxs

joy chaudhuri
    Happy new year Joy. We supposed to have more wisdom, patient and tolerant at our rip old age, guess I slept through the last two classes.

Those pompous fools with heads full of fantasies and altered realities, wish I can bottle up all that hot air which spouting out of their mouth and feed it back through their CV1.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Happy new year Joy. We supposed to have more wisdom, patient and tolerant at our rip old age, guess I slept through the last two classes.

Those pompous fools with heads full of fantasies and altered realities, wish I can bottle up all that hot air which spouting out of their mouth and feed it back through their CV1.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy new year to you too and best wishes.

joy

Just as it is not a grappling or groundfighting system, WC as I learned it is not a system of qigong or health cultivation. I have been taught a number of qigong exercises over the years, but even when I was learning IMA these were treated as separate disciplines and drills and not as an integral part of the systems.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Just as it is not a grappling or groundfighting system, WC as I learned it is not a system of qigong or health cultivation. I have been taught a number of qigong exercises over the years, but even when I was learning IMA these were treated as separate disciplines and drills and not as an integral part of the systems.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Andrew- understood and understand your POV. The slt that i do-in the opening of the form in my lineage there is enough chi gung There are differences in lineage openings.

Given my background I do other chigungs- both Chinese and Indian (pranayama-s).

Without restarting the flood of debates on grappling and groundfighting.... in the wing chun that I do-- an important goal is to prepare oneself for self defense in different venues. Stand up is preferred and a great deal of detailed attention to structuctural integrity or tensegrity is given.
    Syntheses of soft and hard can prepare one for sudden changes to horizontal and non vertical positions for self defense purposes. Of course preparing for specific sporting/competitive events involve intermalising the rules and wise adaptations and practice and relevant training..
    Of course there are varieties of views on a chat list.

joy

Thanks for your opionion! I got the wording off a yuen kay san website!
    Links or it didn't happen.

This straight from the YKS line or the Vietnamese offshoot from his brother?

Does your Wing Chun have Chi Kung Exercises outside of Sil Lim Tau?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoFkCm7WOQ

One Wing Chun Exercise I practice is:

I used to practice a set like this a long time ago. Its a common pattern.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Andrew- understood and understand your POV. The slt that i do-in the opening of the form in my lineage there is enough chi gung There are differences in lineage openings.
    Joy, I don't doubt it and respect your POV. Certainly the opening sequence and slow movements at the start require discipline over the breathing, which has some crossover with qigong.

From my view the principal aim of the first section of SLT is to drill and enforce correct structure. IMO to try to make one set of movements do too many things is counterproductive.

I still occasionally practise standing post, some "Taoist yoga" exercises I learned while training in IMA, and some breathing drills from Russian MA. I dabble in Astanga as well, though mainly for promotion of flexibility and mobility rather than any qigong-type benefits. Maintenance of joint mobility is important for us more mature practitioners in my view.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/...04_qigong.html

check it out!!!

Links or it didn't happen.

This straight from the YKS line or the Vietnamese offshoot from his brother?
    Check out the site...is single hoof the only one you practice!

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    I used to practice a set like this a long time ago. Its a common pattern.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"