Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Qi Gong

This one is a tough call, straight out the body methods don't reflect the WC body - however so many in the YKS line listed on the sites were doctors or priests it makes some sense that they considered a strong spine a good thing to have in WC (and i agree with them) and this is an exercise they chose to use to help build it.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Joy, I don't doubt it and respect your POV. Certainly the opening sequence and slow movements at the start require discipline over the breathing, which has some crossover with qigong.

From my view the principal aim of the first section of SLT is to drill and enforce correct structure. IMO to try to make one set of movements do too many things is counterproductive.

I still occasionally practise standing post, some "Taoist yoga" exercises I learned while training in IMA, and some breathing drills from Russian MA. I dabble in Astanga as well, though mainly for promotion of flexibility and mobility rather than any qigong-type benefits. Maintenance of joint mobility is important for us more mature practitioners in my view.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Andrew :I was referring to our opening (pre first section)which is different from TWC and WT opening of the stance.There is closing and opening, before the tan.wu.fuk sequence
    Standing post is good.
    The ygkym can be used for chigung if the chest is opened up properly with appropriate hand positioning..
    yoga pranayama(not just the asanas which help with flexibility)... also good.

joy

PS Oklahoma State just beat Stanford in OT!! American BCS football.
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 01-02-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Andrew :I was referring to our opening (pre first section)which is different from TWC and WT opening of the stance.There is closing and opening, before the tan.wu.fuk sequence
    OK, understood. I'm not familiar with that but accept what you say.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Wow, does that mean if I do my Salsa slowly then I am doing Qi Gong and it would benefit my health and make my Wing Chun stronger?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Wow, does that mean if I do my Salsa slowly then I am doing Qi Gong and it would benefit my health and make my Wing Chun stronger?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dunno.I eat hot southwestern Mexican salsa but don't dance the salsa.

joy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    This one is a tough call, straight out the body methods don't reflect the WC body - however so many in the YKS line listed on the sites were doctors or priests it makes some sense that they considered a strong spine a good thing to have in WC (and i agree with them) and this is an exercise they chose to use to help build it.

hmmm interesting...So Chi Gung...for healing purposes...why do you think it doesn't follow the wing chun body frame?

Why does it flow in the complete opposite direction of WC structure?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

An slow Salsa dance with an hot babe would definitely up your "health" score ... I'm not sure if it will make your WC stronger, however the required hip movements you had to learn will be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dunno.I eat hot southwestern Mexican salsa but don't dance the salsa.

joy
    Oh, Joy, hot Mexican salsa gives me Qi....
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    An slow Salsa dance with an hot babe would definitely up your "health" score ... I'm not sure if it will make your WC stronger, however the required hip movements you had to learn will be rewarded.
    And hot babes drain my Qi.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    hmmm interesting...So Chi Gung...for healing purposes...why do you think it doesn't follow the wing chun body frame?

Why does it flow in the complete opposite direction of WC structure?
    Are you really asking this question?? No offence, but do you actually train in WCK, or just read about it online? I am not trying to be a jerk either. I ask, because if you undestand even the first part of WCK Centerline theory (self centerline) and then looked at the pictures you took off the website to post here, you would not be asking this question.

Point blank - you can have no WC structural integrity while bending over backwards and balancing a cup/ball/whatever over & behind your head.

Maybe you could answer how you feel this position can be useful in using structure when dealing with live energy against an opponent in your WCK?
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 01-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/...04_qigong.html

check it out!!!

Check out the site...is single hoof the only one you practice!

From my understaning via Rene, Gm Sum nung integrate these in because the long term practice of the application focus evolve WCK has caused body problem or damaging .

Gm Sum's integration is to make correction on the running away 12 main medians.

From my experience, GM Sum nung was right. The application or fighting focus evolve type of WCK has lead to cause the 12 main medians to be problematic. Thus, create liver, heart, kidney issue in a prolong practice of the evolve art. As also have Gm Robert Chu mention in his article.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    the long term practice of the application focus evolve WCK has caused body problem or damaging.
    I agree with Hendrik on this. Sometime the combat training will "send out" your Jin, Qi, and Shen instead of "store" Jin, Qi, and Shen inside your body. If you want to live longer, you have to take care yourself and not just take care your opponent by meeting your fists with his skull.

The XingYi system is similiar to the WC system. the solo form training is the Chi Kung for both systems. In the XingYi system, you will train differently for "combat" and "self-cultivation". When you train

- combat, you concentrate on "exhale" (Fajin).
    - self-cultivation, you concentrate on "inhale" (store Qi).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-03-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I agree with Hendrik on this. Sometime the combat training will "send out" your Jin, Qi, and Shen instead of "store" Jin, Qi, and Shen inside your body. If you want to live longer, you have to take care yourself and not just take care your opponent by meeting your fists with his skull.

The XingYi system is similiar to the WC system. the solo form training is the Chi Kung for both systems. In the XingYi system, you will train differently for "combat" and "self-cultivation". When you train

It is not about live longer. It is the practice cause health problem such as bad temper due to liver medirians issue....etc. long term practice is a suicide.

Gm Robert Chu
    Congrats to Robert on his apotheosis to Grandmasterhood.

I understand he got a BJJ blue belt a while back as well.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Actually Doing Salsa slowly for an hour can give you very strong Jing!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Are you really asking this question?? No offence, but do you actually train in WCK, or just read about it online? I am not trying to be a jerk either. I ask, because if you undestand even the first part of WCK Centerline theory (self centerline) and then looked at the pictures you took off the website to post here, you would not be asking this question.

Point blank - you can have no WC structural integrity while bending over backwards and balancing a cup/ball/whatever over & behind your head.

Maybe you could answer how you feel this position can be useful in using structure when dealing with live energy against an opponent in your WCK?
    Well since your not being a jerk I wont jest with you on your statement. In the Mook Yan Jong and Bil Gee form you have techniques that go outside of the centerline so to speak. Emergency techniques if you will. Like the three motions where you bend over at the end and throw your arms up in the air when you arise. Depending on your lineage of course. Some WC has omitted this technique in bil gee...

But the reason why i share topics of interest or talk about various things is to see where the minds are of others who practice a different branch of wing chun of my own...I like to hear others methodology, thoughts, opinions, and experiences. Instead of being like well do this and an this what i do blah blah blah...my way is right everyone else is wrong. I try an leave room for an open discussion. I try to see what people have in common or in contrast to me. I enjoy sharing and learning from you all...Do I practice WC...Yes i do. i started when i was 16. im 35 now...

As for chi gung methods. Well frankly the things i discussed are taught my Yuen Kay San sifus and chi gung methods similiar by other mainland WC sifus. Its not something i made up or created. I started learning WC along with various chi gung drills and exercises. The chi gung most of which is not directly combat worthy. Although some of it can be modified for combat. Its basically healing the body, strecthing the body and replenishing the body...The chi gung i practice gives the body what it needs.

The Saucer cup technique ie single hoof. Is designed to stretched the body that is predominantly closed and compact when fighting. It opens up several meridians and moves the chi in different ways to replenish the body. The Expanding chest method strecthes and activates meridians on your center line or conceptual meridan and governing meridan. it also strecthes and rejuvenates stagnant points on your back and your chest. Doing expanding chest before WC opens the meridians and warms the muscles up. Doing it after also reopens any blockage or stagnation that occured during training an rejuvenates the back and chest. I think Chi Gung as stretching only in a different way...Do it as a warm up and cool down the chinese way!

ie leg lifts in the air from the side and too the front or warm ups to get the chi boiling and flowing in your legs and open the meridians. Shaking your legs and arms also benefit...But you dont kick like doing these too things...

Strecthing you are arms and legs do not relate to fighting in the same way. Doing Push ups is not on the centerline? strecthing your arm behind you an pulling it down doesnt cover your centerline, doing burpees, lunges, running, and jumping rope doesn't cover your centerline but they do make your WC stronger do they not? What about kettlebells is that centerline driven?

Just because you dont understand why something is given doesn't mean its useless. Not every training tool is going to deal with WC principals or body structure. even in combat scenarios sometimes you break body structure to win the fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    From my understaning via Rene, Gm Sum nung integrate these in because the long term practice of the application focus evolve WCK has caused body problem or damaging .

Gm Sum's integration is to make correction on the running away 12 main medians.

From my experience, GM Sum nung was right. The application or fighting focus evolve type of WCK has lead to cause the 12 main medians to be problematic. Thus, create liver, heart, kidney issue in a prolong practice of the evolve art. As also have Gm Robert Chu mention in his article.
    i have to agree!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Good points very good analogy!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"