Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Wing Chun Qi Gong

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Well as for Vaghi's No. i have not been. I have met a guy named Alvin who is older who was a fighter there back in the day. He is in his forties now
    Does he still spar ?

...but as for actually going there to challenge Niehoff. Absoultely not. I doubt if the man is even there. I never met niehoff nor do I know what he looks like...I think its pretty wild to show up at someone fantasy school an be like I am here looking to spar some guy who trains her...he post on an internet forum. I gave niehoff my contact info. Did he ever contact me personally NO...He says just meet him at a place...

So alls i have to go on is some guy on the internet who i never actually spoken with telling me to meet him at some school or gym. Why waste time and money going somewhere to meet someone u never spoken with or seen prior...I have met people off of the forums even been to their schools. But i actually knew they real people prior to meeting them...

Ne way it is what is!
    Sorry - not trying to stir all that up again. All I'm trying to get at is if you have an opinion of yourself or stan's sparring or fighting ability, it's fairly easy nowadays to be able to train with people who have known quantatative fighting ability, and I named two in your area.

For example, in the area I live in we have open mat practices on Sunday at 3pm. So anyone around has the ability to come in for free and train with known fighters and train striking or ground or mixed.

So how about your area? Do they have that type of thing in gyms around there that train fighters? I would pursue that before forming too strong of an opinion about how great your fighting ability really is.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If one wishes to demo Chi sao then doing chi It wouldn't hurt people to learn this mantra and follow it as best they can:
    SEE IT TAUGHT, SEE IT FOUGHT.
    I agree, sanjuro.

Gotta keep it real.

Well thanks for your opinion...I just realize this thread is about chi gung...not sparring actually...

So lets get back on topic...do you have anything to share about the sorta of chi gung you do...can you post a video or pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Does he still spar ?

Sorry - not trying to stir all that up again. All I'm trying to get at is if you have an opinion of yourself or stan's sparring or fighting ability, it's fairly easy nowadays to be able to train with people who have known quantatative fighting ability, and I named two in your area.

For example, in the area I live in we have open mat practices on Sunday at 3pm. So anyone around has the ability to come in for free and train with known fighters and train striking or ground or mixed.

So how about your area? Do they have that type of thing in gyms around there that train fighters? I would pursue that before forming too strong of an opinion about how great your fighting ability really is.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Well thanks for your opinion...I just realize this thread is about chi gung...not sparring actually...

So lets get back on topic...do you have anything to share about the sorta of chi gung you do...can you post a video or pic?
    It was you that brought up the sparring with your rediculous 'internet challenge' for me to come out and meet you and stan. But I understand your desire to quickly backpedal out of that and for trying to get back on topic - you've made yourself look silly enough on this thread with that garbage.

Regarding the chi gung portion of this thread, maybe you could answer my question finally. So there is no misunderstanding, I'll be very specific:

Could you please define what you feel is "WC Chi Gung" vs. just regular non-WC related Chi Gung. What, besides 'some teacher added it' qualifies something as being WC specific training?

More specifically, what about the bagua tea cup excersize now qualifies it as being 'WC chi gung' where the tai chi circle stepping isnt? IMO, saying 'well, a master added it' doesn't fly. Maybe you could point to some WC concepts/principles that support this claim.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 01-18-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Real Chi Gung for wing chun...

its all dependant on your sifu....

Some people have chi gung in the forms...namely sil lim tau...

For my sifu practicing Siu lien tau really slowly is WC chi gung...of course wing chun chi gung is found in all the forms...

But it also practices other methods of Chi Gung as well...

His my Sifu's Sifu had a chi gung form that is unique to mau chang's wing chun. in addition to other YKS chi gung that is practice. My Sifu also taught me the saucer cup chi gung. As wing chun chi gung...Some of the things hendriks practices I also learn. Not necessarily as WC chi gung but as chi gung....

But let me go ahead an make a list for you by the things you know of!!!

Wing Chun chi gung
    1.siu lien tau done very slowly
    2.Tea cup exercises
    3.Expanding chest
    4.twisting the torso side to side

etc....

The last three i mentioned...think of them as more as healing exercises. or strecthing exercises...doing these exercises will strecth out the muscles and release stagnation...

Holding the YGKYM with the fist chamberd at the sides below the armpits puts strain on the muscles does it not...surely over time your body relaxes and you get use to it...but the exercises I listed that you disagree with are there for relaxing the muscles further and exercising them...you have both yin and yang...Just because you dont understand what they are for doesn't mean its useless...I do not call them strecthing exercises because it is more than stretching...the idea is to heal your body.

But if you cant understand this...I cant help you dog...

ne way...if your WC only uses SLT and other drills from the forms to develop chi gung fine...thats cool beans...I practice alot of different kinds of Chi Gung including the WC chi gung i listed!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    It was you that brought up the sparring with your rediculous 'internet challenge' for me to come out and meet you and stan. But I understand your desire to quickly backpedal out of that and for trying to get back on topic - you've made yourself look silly enough on this thread with that garbage.

Regarding the chi gung portion of this thread, maybe you could answer my question finally. So there is no misunderstanding, I'll be very specific:

Could you please define what you feel is "WC Chi Gung" vs. just regular non-WC related Chi Gung. What, besides 'some teacher added it' qualifies something as being WC specific training?

More specifically, what about the bagua tea cup excersize now qualifies it as being 'WC chi gung' where the tai chi circle stepping isnt? IMO, saying 'well, a master added it' doesn't fly. Maybe you could point to some WC concepts/principles that support this claim.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Sheena Crowley

Nice story.

Cork Lives
    10.01.2020 09:48

Sheena Crowley. Picture: Michael Keenan

'He told me in six months I wasn't going to be able to move... so I took up kung fu,' says Cork fitness instructor
    By Ellie O'Byrne

AT just 18, Sheena Crowley was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Throughout her twenties, she battled the agonising condition. By the time she was 30, her doctor was telling her to prepare for her future by installing wheelchair ramps at her home and modifying her kitchen.

“He said that in six months’ time I wasn’t going to be able to move, and scheduled me a meeting with someone to arrange a wheelchair and give me advice on the house,” Sheena says. “He told me that the less I moved the better.”

“So I took up kung fu.” She smiles.

Now, 23 years later, Sheena is far from immobile. In fact, she runs her own business, Gingko Mind & Body Wellness, and teaches Slow Motion Fitness classes, based on the ancient Chinese discipline of Qi Gong.

Her journey into Qi Gong practice started with those weekly Wing Chun Kung Fu classes with instructor John O’Riordan.

“I don’t know what made me think of starting Kung Fu, but I did,” Sheena recalls.

“I trained with John once a week, and it took over my life. It still hurt me, and even now it still does; walking can be painful. But you come to realise that pain is just there to give you a message. The more I did, the more the peripheral pain lessened.

“You balance the external work of kung fu, that’s very demanding on the body, with the soft, internal work of Qi Gong.

“For a long time, to me it was just like the pleasure at the end of your training session, but then I became sick, so I turned to Qi Gong fully.”

Sheena Crowley. Picture: Michael Keenan

Sheena’s father, Michael, was a well-known figure in Cork as proprietor of Crowley’s Music Store on McCurtain Street. The much-loved iconic store had catered for generations of Cork musicians. One of its numerous claims to fame was that Rory Gallagher bought his first guitar there.

Following Michael’s death in 2010, Sheena found herself trying to rescue the floundering business.

In 2013, it was a sad moment for the city when she finally conceded and shut the doors on Crowley’s. But the personal toll was devastating; stress had a profound impact on her health.

“It took nearly three years to close the business and I was hanging on for dear life,” Sheena says.

“I was trying to save it because I loved it. I worked from early in the morning until late at night.

“My kidneys were shutting down, my blood pressure was going through the roof. When I went to the doctor, I was just offered medication.

“My kung fu instructor came to my house every day for a month, and we did Qi Gong, and I started to feel a difference.”

While Sheena, who went on to study as a Qi Gong instructor in the Philippines, isn’t “anti- medication,” she sees our current over-burdened healthcare system as symptomatic of the blind eye our fast-paced lives make us turn to our health.

The benefits of knowing our bodies and caring for them are, she says, preventative: “I think we need a system of therapies that people can turn to before they get to the stage of going to the doctor.”

Qi Gong, she says, is all about slowing back down and restoring the connection between mind and body.

Your Qi (pronounced ‘chee’) is your life-force energy, Sheena explains. By learning about balancing Yin and Yang, practitioners learn to cultivate their Qi, which exercises impact on different bodily organs, the foods to support your body type, and the interactions between different emotional states and the healthy balance of different organs’ energy.

Sheena Crowley.
    Picture: Michael Keenan

“These were exercises designed by Chinese philosophers and monks 5,000 years ago, and that turned into kung fu, and then tai chi came from that,” she says.

“The exercises are designed to maintain your health and to give you responsibility for your body.

“In Qi Gong, we believe that stress and emotions make up 90% of why you’re sick.

“Your spleen is affected by worry, the liver is anger; our emotions are much bigger than we understand, and we invest in them so much and we keep going back to them.”

It seems that in recent years there’s been a backlash against alternative therapies; we’re in an era when science and rationality, however dogmatically they’re asserted, are prized above all else.

Sheena knows that for many Irish people, talk of the body’s flow of energy and of balancing the elements and Yin and Yang can be off-putting.

“I’m reluctant to talk about moving energy around the body, because people are very resistant to things like that in the West, but it’s scientifically proven that the body has an electromagnetic field,” she says.

“The heart has an electromagnetic pulse.”

“The people who are cynical about what I do tend to be the ones who don’t know anything about it.

“How can you dismiss something when you don’t even understand how it works? I think it’s sad that there’s so many naysayers.”

In China, there are 38,000 Qi Gong styles, people can be seen practicing it in parks and public spaces, and the traditional system of medicine is based on the same concepts of Yin and Yang and the elements. But in Ireland, these are new ideas to many.

“I call my classes Slow Motion Fitness because a lot of people haven’t heard of Qi Gong and I thought ‘slow motion fitness’ would give them a sense of what it is,” Sheena says.

“But also, I’m not a purist. I also trained as a personal trainer and so I use some western methodologies mixed in.”

Gingko Mind & Body Wellness classes run in Douglas Community Centre, Ballinlough Youth Centre and Ardfallen Methodist Church Hall, as well as one-on-one sessions, begin in early January. Info: www.facebook.com/GingkoMindBodyWellness/
    THREADS
    Wing Chun Qi Gong
    Qigong as Medicine
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart