Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question in comparing street fighting to our styles

Originally posted by prince006
    thats practlaly like saying every martial arts is different
    its not answering my question what do u think the best is for a street fight...

each martial arts have there own strength's odviously

bruce lee said that all martial arts have weakness's thats why he invinted jeet kwon do....to have no style

but personally i dont know much about it but its a thought
    It's funny, you just answered your own question while asking it.
    Jack is absolutely correct, and even though the answer may not make sense to you, it will in time.

Occupational hazards are definitely a determining factor as to what art you want to learn, being ex military I look for things that would completely demolish my opponent in the least amount of time possible, so I've lately stuck with MT and wing chun for my standup, with chin na and shiua jiao for my clinching and throwing, for groundwork I've dabbled in BJJ, but will be getting more in depth with it after I'm fully healed from a bone injury. Anyway - long story short - there is no best style for streetfighting really, and while we're at it...

What is the definition of a street fighter other then "someone who fights on the street"? A streetfighter, technically speaking, can know any style he wants. I think what you're referring to is the athletic tough guy with no formal training. If that's the case, the style won't make a difference as much as your training regimen and brains will. It's all effective - IF YOU APPLY IT CORRECTLY. But if you're training doesn't end with you being able to do that, then more often then not you will lose no matter what style you learned.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I agree Vankuen
    "No ones taller then the last man standing"
    I-Ninja

Be careful not to make assumptions YouKnowWho or you may end up wondering what train hit you. It would have been better to say that some of the following list might or might not effect the situation when facing an opponent on the street that will not in the ring. But one could make a counter list.

An opponent on the street might:

Be armed
    Be on drugs that reduce pain/inhibition
    Be supported by his friends
    Have experience in rule-free situations
    Bite, punch the groin, scratch, claw and generally "cheat"
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho

When you look at from the other angle than you don't have fear.
    I didn't say be afraid, I said be prepared.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    Most of the street guys that you have to fight against are:

- In drugs
    - Smoke
    - Drink too much
    - Does not exercise regularly.
    - Over weight
    - May never work on punching bag.
    - May never know how to kick, lock, or throw.
    - May not have power and accuracy behind the punch.
    - May not even know which part of the fist to use for punch.
    - May not be able to take a punch.
    - Always leave chest and groin area open.
    - Close the eyes during striking.

If you train regularly then the street guys should afraid of you not the other way around.
    I'd really LOVE for you to show me a statistic on this one...

most of the guys I know who end up in barfight and such all the time wrestled in high school and/or college

some of them drink

NONE of them smoke

two of them boxed - and one of those two was in a gang.

half of my football team consisted of bloods - so they worked out all the time.

furthermore, mindset is in interesting thing. I've seen black belts in various styles get mauled in street fights because their opponent had the more intense mindset. he wanted to destroy his opponent - and he did.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 03-08-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

"furthermore, mindset is in interesting thing. I've seen black belts in various styles get mauled in street fights because their opponent had the more intense mindset. he wanted to destroy his opponent - and he did."

7Star is touching the biggest issue of all with those remarks.

Channeling one's anger, rage...even hate...into a one-pointed focus of concentration upon destroying your opponent...really doing damage...

something that happens more frequently in a streetfight than anywhere else (ie. - any kind of organized fighting event) - is the single biggest key to determining who wins and who loses.

Since you seem more interested in help picking a style to complement your boxing, allow me to make a couple of suggestions:

Wrestling (Greco-Roman if you can find it, but folk or freestyle will do fine) or Judo.

BJJ is nice and all, but the truth is you will get more takedown experience and just as USEFUL, if not as detailed, ground work in both of these sports. Most fights do not start on the ground, and training takedowns all the time gives YOU the power to dictate where the fight goes - a handy skill.

A Boxer/Wrestler or a Boxer/Judoka is a formidable opponent, assuming decent skills in each.

As to the rest of the stuff people are posting, basically yes on all counts about danger, mindset and assumptions about opponents.

OR, you might want to consider a good Escrima or Kali school if you are interested in weapons work.

However, the "what style" argument is somewhat silly. Better for you, as has been thrown out, is "What complements the skill sets I already possess?"
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Check out the thread "A Reality Check". Most, if none "look" like trained fighters, but almost every fight I have seen (mostly when I was younger) looked very similar. Most untrained people start throwing haymakers and usually end up in a clinch. Sometimes that clinch results in both people falling to the ground, as seen in the videos that Darren posted.

Having said that, as you get older you are less likely to be involved in those kinds of brawls except for maybe a bar fight. You are more likely to simply be attacked, a lot of times the attacker has some kind of weapon.

The above does not apply to every situation, but like others have said mindset and intent are key. That is why I personally prefer arts and teachers that are very aggressive.

If I can get my sh!t together I will go back to my Pekiti-Tirsia [Kali] class, which is nicknamed the "San Antonio Pitbulls". They teach to have the mindset of a pitbull, and to think of your abilities like a light switch. The style is mostly stick and knife, but does have great hand-to-hand and some groundfighting techniques. However, it is not "complete" and they encourage you to suppliment your training with other arts that you feel will compliment things you feel are missing in your training. They also teach that if your are involved in a knife fight, even if you are well trained, you will almost always get cut. They are brutally honest. That's what I like about that place, and that's what I feel I need for situations I will most likely come across. Just last week I found a broken-off knife blade in the rear window of my tahoe. Who knows when or where it happened, and how close I was to a confontation with the person who did it.

I'm sorry if none of the above answers your question, but there is no simple answer.

On a side note, you should have seen the look on the face of a reporter from a local news channel that came to do a short take on the school when it opened up in a new building. I think he expected to see your a-typical karate school, but instead saw a bunch of people going full contact with sticks and training knifes(which still hurt if you don't get the fuk out of the way).
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I would get my ass owned against someone on drugs, those guys never go down.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

That's why you've got to pin 'em and put your knee in the backs of thier necks. It ain't police brutality, it's self-preservation.
    Bodhi Richards

Ya, or bust a kneecap. No one can walk with a broken knee, at least not well enough to give you any real problems. I am not a police officer, so at that point just walk away.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

i agree with Simonm . he said
    "Street fights are not honorable matches; you get no points for polieness or fair play. Hit fast, hard and dirty. Make them bleed if you can; people don't generally like the sight of their own blood"
    I would like to add some thoughts
    1)If You feel you are realy in danger why not hit him in the eyes , balls , front side of neck , bottom of his back(if durig fight he turn his back) and in the center of chest in order to cut his breathe.
    Theese might sound too violentbut i'm not saying do it in every situation but when you thik you are in really danger.
    2)the one who strikes first a good (by all means)hit he have a chance of 90%to "win"

what is a streetfighter anyway? someone who gets in alot of fights, be it at a bar, street corner, party etc? What if I study MA and still do all those things? am I a street fighter or a MAist or both. Real fights are bizarre surreal real scary sh!t.

If a street fighter is just a guy/gal that has no formal training but has been in alot of fights, then I assume it means they have done okay amongst those fights or they would have been seriously injured or deterred to do it any longer. Having said that implies experience to the street fighter. Experienced street fighter vs. inexperienced MAist = street fighter most likely winner. But the whole argument is flawed and fruitless to begin with. It's like saying who would win in a fight, kurt Angle or a college wrestler, neither because Rex Kwon Do ownzorz all.

Just break the wrist and walk away.

from this thread that is.

" Real fights are bizarre surreal real scary sh!t." Thats the golden truth of MA & Life.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

on the streets you can die. just like that. if the person(s) who just kicked your ass, decide to kick the crap out of you on the floor, you just may not get up. ive seen it happen,not the act of it but ive seen people who have been beaten up real bad. and it is quite disturbing to knw that a defeat can result in death. that is why we train, right?