Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Strength/Skill Double unders: For those of you who have your double unders spend some time working on cleaning up the technique and then do 5 sets of consecutive reps. Everyone else we are spending a good 10 minutes working the skill. It takes practice to get the timing and coordination.

broke down and got one of the skinny speed ropes. they do make a difference...the thicker and rougher the surface of the rope will slow the rope down significantly at the velocity the rope is traveling...

sooo...in the practice tonight i kept getting 7's, 8's and 9's...did 6 or 7 sets i think and finally broke double digits and hit 17...called it good enough.

WOD

AMRAP in 12 minutes of:

20 deadlifts (40% of DL 5RM not to exceed 135/95lbs)

50m line sprints

A 50m line sprint is set up with cones at 10m, 20m, 30m, 40m and 50m. From the starting line sprint to the 10m and back to the start. Then to the 20m and back to the start. Next to the 30m and back to the start, and so on. For the 5om turn with our set up it is fine to run to the 50m mark and then run inside to your bar.

Please note that the deadlifts are light! Do not round up your percentages. There is zero deviation of form today. (Not that there ever should be.) If it feels light, move faster.
    5RM @ 275 x .4 = 110

3 full rounds + 20 DL's + 160 yards on the suicides. they call them 'line sprints' because apparently someone in the gym lost someone to suicide last year...

my back got super tight tonight. I did the first 3 rounds of DL's straight through, 20 reps but getting back in from the 3rd run, i could barely get 3-4 w/o hurting so much i had to put the bar down. not in the center of the back but far to the left and right...will have to look that up.

letting myself off tomorrow to do a brewery sponsored pub crawl all work and no play and all that.

i'll be good and fresh for DL's saturday...5x5@268 this week.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Terrapin Beer Co. Athens GA

The put on a pub crawl with my fav beer store last night.
    **** good value: 5 pubs, 5 beers, Tshirt & a pint glass for $30.
    plus, i got a hat in a raffle.

Terrapin makes some good beers, it was fun.

There was free pizza from Barley's Taproom at the end of the night and I could not help myself...so, now I am totally feeling the cheese and bread hitting my system. it was good but i have not had any cheese for weeks and weeks now and so little grain...blech...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Deadlifts

5 x 5 @ 270

almost rolled out of my hands on the 5th rep of the 5th set. switched to opposing grip for the rest. so much stronger feeling when i'm not fighting to keep the grip.

Pullups

5 x Blue
    3 x Blue
    2 x Blue/Purple
    5 x Blue/Purple
    5 x Green
    5 x Green

dese is going nowhere

Ring Dips

5 x 5 w/ red band

dese is better. got a solid 5 on all sets with some fighting to fully lock out on the 5th rep for set 4 and 5

Handstands

20 attemps at handstand. pretty much back to back w/ maybe 5-10 seconds at most between them.

longest was probably a full 3 seconds.

one of our 'elite' ( i hate the way that is tossed around our gym...but, really this dude IS...he's a badass) did the Secret Service KB Snatch test today. His previous was 231 and today he got 245 (i was one of three 'counters') by our count but the final will come after vid review. Apparently the record is 275 in 10 minutes w/ the 53. I think he was shooting for 260 which would have put him in the top 5. It was pretty sick to watch.

Strength/Skill Work Handstand push-ups: 5-5-5-5-5

ok, this will be an additional focus on saturdays

set 1: using parallel bars to hook the ankles over for assistance - 5
    set 2: ditto - 5
    set 3: band assisted, red on the bar, blue around the shoulders - 2
    set 4: parallel bars - 3

done

WOD

Complete 5 rounds of the following for time:

12 Deadlifts

9 Hang Power Cleans

6 Push Jerk

Use ~80% of 5RM push jerk not to exceed 155lbs/105lbs.

DT was last completed on 090821 and before that 090417.
    on the board at the gym they had also written '70% of 1RM Push Press' among other options for determining your load. i recently got a push press of 200# so 140 it was.

i got friggin nervous at that point. i've never gotten nerves before a wod previously but did today. looked at the results board for the day and the next heaviest weight besides one of the coaches was 135# completed in 18:30. There was a 20 min cap on the WOD...i was like, ok, i can do this in sub 20...the guy that did 135# has been kicking some ass and is my age and I've been chasing his times...unsuccesfully. Corey, the coach, got this in 14:02 @ 155# (rx'd).

14:51 @ 140#

i'm pretty happy about that.

oh, and, after selling 3 of my boats and my bass rig this weekend, I put money down on my new bike.

i have a few other things that are on the list to get rid of, most all of it is stuff I was planning to sell before moving to FL next year but the desire to get this bike prompted me to liquidate early.

WOD

AMRAP in 10 minutes of:

12 burpees

8 bodyweight back squats (ladies 75% BW)

this wod is WOD #1 to land a spot on the affiliate team. i knew i didn't stand a chance of getting top 5 in the gym but wanted to do it as prescribed.

warmed up good:
    did the group warmup and stretch with the class
    then, while waiting my turn, over the course of about 20 minutes I did:
    3 x 10 BWS
    1 x 5 x 45(bar)
    1 x 5 x 135, snatched from floor to overhead and on the back.

my turn on the squat racks, pre wod, about 60-90 sec apart:
    1 x 5 x 135
    1 x 3 x 225
    1 x 3 x 245

then the WOD:

3 Rounds + 12 Burpees + 4 Squats @ 245

now, here's the dumb thing...i ****ed up and didn't add the 2.5# to either side, I weighed in at 248 and we were supposed to round up...so, I didn't Rx the WOD
    i'm so fu(king ****ed at myself right now....
    Last edited by Oso; 04-07-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: cuz i'm a frakking dumba$$

Saturday

Warmup
    60 single skips
    5 pushups
    5 BW Squats
    5 sit ups
    3 KPU's

repeated 3 times adding 5 and 3 to the rep counts

good stretching

Deadlifts

5 x 135
    2min rest
    3 x 225
    2min rest
    1 x 275
    2 min rest
    5 x 5 @ 275 on the 3 minute mark.

stayed out thursday, felt ok, a little sore but crap at work left me in very bad mental place...might be jobless by this time next week.

friday is another story, holy crap, sore as hell, and very stiff. tried to work it out best i could throughout the work day.

got up this morning feeling ok, still a little sore and stiff so I went at the deads with a good warmup and did some progression lifts before hitting the bigger weight.

1st set was with double overhand and the rest were with opposing grip.

felt pretty strong.

i sorta did a little bit of a reset on the deads. after looking at what I had done trying to work with straight % and rounding up if need be I was fairly erratic in the weight progression. After thinking about it I did this with the numbers:

took 60% of my 1RM (335) and plugged it in as week 1 = 200#
    then I took 5% of my 1RM: 16.75# and rounded down to 15#
    and ran a chart showing each week's lifts as a 15# progression instead of what I was doing.
    This gave me a week 6 lift @ 275 which is what I did today. BAsically sets me back a week but was still 5# more than last week and now I will finish with a more even progression. I also gave myself more rest between sets and hope to finish with 5 x 5 through my old 1RM and then go for a new 1RM the week after that.

and, since i took more time on the above, i blew off the pullups and ring dips. will do pullups here later today...or not. a buddy of mine from the gym was doing the burpee/DL wod from wed...he's one of the coaches, near my age and the only other person over 200(215) to do this wod. He got 4 full rounds + 4 burpees.
    Last edited by Oso; 04-10-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Strength/Skill Work Power clean: Heavy single

WOD

4 rounds
    21 power cleans
    400m run

For time.

Use ~70% of the heaviest power clean you can complete today with GOOD TECHNIQUE! Do not exceed 115/75lbs.

This was the 2nd qualifier WOD for the Affiliate Cup team. As I said, I have no chance of being in the top 5 men but I am going to do the WOD's as prescribed to see where I fall.

I did think this one was going to be easier for me than it turned out to be. I thought that I might be able to do most of the power cleans in one shot for all four rounds...not so. I'm not even sure if I did 21 straight on the first one...I don't think so...upper teens but then had to break for a second.

The running was, of course, going to kill me. Our 400m just got remeasured, I've known all along our distances were way short. our 400 is now roughly uphill for the first half and downhill for the second half. I'd guess 'our' hill is somwhere between 15 and 20 feet in climb over 200m. It might be slightly more than 20 as I can't see the peak as it's the far corner of the block. Certainly no more than a 24' rise over 200m.

I had to do '****leks' for the 3rd and 4th round. The new rule is if you aren't in the POSE sprinting form then you should walk. So, I was sprinting for 20 paces and walking for 10 on the last 2.

Group warmup was agility drills and POSE drills over 50m distance.

warmed up the PC's with:

95 x 5
    105 x 5
    115 x 5

17:48 for what was a mile run and 84 powercleans @ 115#

There were lots of 15's on the board from other guys.
    Last edited by Oso; 04-12-2010 at 05:37 PM.

long day at work...2nd 10 hour day in a row and 29 hours since monday.

still went by the gym...helped time the wod, though I could have done it a little better.

did some dead hang pullups, no assistance. actually got 3 in a row which is a PR...yay me. did two sets of 2 before that and then 4 sets of 2+ not quite getting the 3rd on any of them.

then did 7 KPU's in a row which is a tie for PR i think.

then i did a really long handstand...might have been almost 4 seconds...longest yet i think.

we'll see what tomorrow brings at work...

Today’s strength/skill is the affiliate team qualifier WOD #3

After a 5 minute movement specific warm-up, you will have 7 minutes to find the heaviest wt you can front squat for 7 reps. Score is highest wt.
    This was yesterday's WOD, the third qualifier WOD for the affiliate team. I did it instead of the Muscle Up Progression to get it in.

5 Min Warmup:
    0:00 - 5 x 45
    1:30 - 3 x 95
    3:00 - 3 x 155

leaving 2 min rest before start of the 7 minutes.

0:00 - 6 x 155, dropped it...frakking wrist/shoulder issues
    2:30 - 7 x 155, changed to the crossed arms over the bar instead of front rack
    4:30 - 7 x 205, switched back to front rack but almost slipped after the 5th rep and did last two w/ crossed arms
    6:10 - 2 x 215, front rack, dropped it.

all my reps were smooth, quick and deep, the legs are not the issue at all.

then, about 10 minutes after that I did today's WOD
    400m run

5-10-15-20 (alternating between push presses and box jumps)

Push-press (Use 65-70% of your push-press 5RM not to exceed 95lbs/65lbs)

Box Jumps (20/24″)

400m run

For time.
    Rx'd this b!tch at 11:27
    1st 400 was 2:00 exact
    2nd 400 was 1:27, i went out the door at exactly 10:00 on the clock

and, ftr, i was barefoot because i forgot my shoes.

gonna end up resting fri and sat cuz the gym is closed as the coaches are all going to a competition.

They are going to be open sunday and I plan to catch my dead sets then.

i did try to play with the muscle ups...Taryn, i think you're safe for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    Taryn, i think you're safe for a while...
    LOL.... Truly, I continue to be impressed with how you've stuck with this and how much hard work you've been putting into it. Keep it up!

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Saturday

Warmup
    60 singles
    5 pushups
    5 squats
    5 sit ups
    5 kip swings
    60 singles
    10 pushups
    10 squats
    10 situps
    3 KPU's
    60 singles
    15 pushups
    15 squats
    15 situps
    5 KPU's

Deadlifts

0:00 5 x 135
    2:00 3 x 225
    4:00 3 x 275
    7:00 2 x 290 - overhand grip, not really focused,
    4 x 290, overhand grip, dropped on 5th
    4 x 5 x 290, opposing grip, alternated grip every set

started each set on the 3

the gym was closed yesterday

I don't think i'll bother trying overhand grip at all next week @ 305
    felt pretty strong, still working on getting all the details of the form together 100%.

oh, yea, i think the final results are in for the qualifying wod's we did over the last two weeks.

I was:
    14th in WOD #1(AMRAP in 10 minutes of:12 burpees/8 bodyweight back squats)
    9th in WOD #2 (4 rounds for time:21 pwr cleans(115#)/400m run)
    3 way tie @ 4th in WOD #3 (5 min warmup then, within 7 minutes, find your 7RM Frontsquat)

I think they still have to add up everyone's place for overall, lower your points, the higher you place. i.e.: best possible score being '3'

Strength/Skill Work: Pistol box jump

let's just say that i practiced the skill 3 x 5 each leg
    right leg is waaay stronger than the left, so need to work on equalizing.
    based on this work today, if i can get my left leg as strong as my right, everything should frakking skyrocket.

WOD

30 reps

Snatch

For time.

Use 70-80% your max snatch not to exceed 95/135lbs.

Please note a full squat snatch is NOT required. Just get the bar from the ground to overhead 30 times.
    Rx'd, 135# @ 2:54

i actually had a plan to do 10 @ 0:00, 10 @ 1:00 & 10 @ 2:00 and hunt for sub 3:00

as it worked out, i got 8 fast, then basically went to 1 every 3-4 seconds working in to a rythm where I did the snatch, dropped it, recovered the bar, gripped and snatched on the 3rd breath every time...had to breathe 4 or 5 every once in a while but, sub 3:00 was the goal and i got it.

i wanted to approach this with the 10 every 1 rythm cuz that's how i plan on getting a sub 3 'Grace'(clean and press x 30) in 4 weeks

Strength/Skill Work: Shoulder Press

if i had a max in this it's not been since last sept so i went for 5RM

5 x 45
    5 x 95
    5 x 115
    5 x 135
    5 x 140

i admit to calling it there...was taxing for sure and form was starting to break a bit but i coulda pushed more up...and there was this frakking wod to follow...

WOD

5 Rounds of:

20 thrusters (bar weight only 45/35lbs)

20 push-ups

For time.
    14:54

kept it under 15 which was the goal. I'm definitely better at pushups than i have been
    but holy crap, not only did the thruster tire the delts, but i was feeling the quads during the pushups.

frakking big day at work prior to this, too. two tub lifts, both 8' spas, one a full 96" (most 8' spas are actually just 92x92) that had so much inner fiberglass molding i'm pretty **** sure it was 1000# or better. plus lots of foam cutting which is taxing on the shoulders...almost didn't go to CF, but i hit a double espresso about 4:45 and did.

worked till 6ish...then met someone to sell one of the many things i've been moving around from place to place...an old truck cap from '99...yea, I've had it 11 years...but, i had the truck it fit on till 2003, so, i've only been moving it from place to place since then...however, I will point out that I sold it to a young kid who happened to suddenly need it for his exact same truck because he just landed a job out west for the summer and will be needing to live/camp in his truck (he's doing something outdoorsy)...so, it was the right time to help him at a much lower price than normal, he helps me buy my new bike and i hooked him up with the Yakima bar rack that I had for my truck as bonus for him.

sometimes the universe does focus

so...didn't work out tonight...but, two hard workouts this week on top of some ridiculous lifting for work...i could probably stand the 'rest' before saturdays deads which will be an attempt at 5x5 @ 305#

I'm not going to **** around with grips this week...opposing grip FTW