Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Strength/Skill Work: Row for watts and 500m time trials

Watts: 867 ...possibly gym record which I think I've held since last years 828 or whatever
    500m: 1:30.5 beats my last by 8 seconds or so i think

WOD

AMRAP in 8 minutes of:

8 plyometric push-ups

16 kettlebell snatchs (8 per arm, 53/35lbs)
    4 Rounds + 8 pushups
    53# KB & all pushups were clapping pushups. you could just make sure you got both hands off the ground.

[whine]
    not bad considering i've worked 20 hours in the last two days on only 4 hours of sleep last night and the night before.
    [/whine]
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Shoulder Press 1RM

45 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    165 x 1
    175 x 1
    185 x 1

jumped to 200 and tried it twice and didn't get it past my nose either time.
    will start the 5 x 5 cycle next week.

didn't do anything else today...the shoulders have been hurting after the last two saturdays and i want to see what exact combo of stuff is doing it.

plus, i've got two pressure washing jobs to do today.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Strength/Skill: Push jerk

5 x 135
    5 x 155
    5 x 165
    5 x 185
    5 x 200

WOD "Grace"

30 reps

Power clean and jerk

for time.

Use 70% of max push jerk and push press and 80% of a 5RM.
    ...or Rx'd @ 135#

2:43

:23 faster than 4 weeks ago. i blew into it too fast then and burned out too quickly.
    i didn't intend on doing Grace again this soon but it was the WOD. I didn't really think I would get it after the Push Jerks but, i tried to find that 6 sec per rep pace and stick with it.

gym record too...by :15

Strength/Skill Work Squat clean: spend 10 minutes working towards a 1 rep max

working to a heavy single

5 x 45
    3 x 135
    1 x 155
    1 x 185
    1 x 195
    1 x 200

WOD

21-15-9

squat cleans (70% of max squat clean not to exceed 135/95lbs)

burpees

For time.
    15:14 Rx'd @ 135

lol, if there are burpees in a '21-15-9' then i'm pretty much right around 15 minutes.
    although, the burpees were the fast part tonight.
    was pretty queasy all through the workout, from the warmup to now...nutrition was pretty good today, more carbs than usual by way of a brownie and some 'Combos' (the new Jalapeno ones are the ****) and plenty of water...or, well, the usual amount of water (1/2 gallon give or take by the time i get to the gym). i did spend about 45 minutes in a room that was at least 110 (because the piece of equipment that was broken states that it will cease to function above 110) and could have been lots more...my shirt was soaked to the dripping point by the time i got done)

so, maybe i was a little dehydrated though I consumed a quart or so between 6:30 and 7:30 during the workout.

anyway...

i've gotten a bit disillusioned with the culture at this gym. not everyone in the gym but some people, including one of the owners/coaches just have this 'thing'/attitude that rubs me the wrong way. the old gym record for 'Grace' was set by this particular coach and he made some comments that, imo, shouldn't come from a coach to a member. maybe it's me and i'm being too sensitive but i don't think so...hell, i beat his time by 15 seconds wtf do i care...but, again 'imo', if you are going to own a gym/school then your personal goals don't really matter above your 'students' and certainly not above paying clients.

the blog post in question, i'm 'M3' there.
    to be clear, i don't think he's attacking me by any means...just, kinda all about him...

http://www.crossfitasheville.com/201...-monday-grace/

[shrug] i dunno...maybe i'm just getting old...

Hard to tell since tone is lost in the typed venue.... if one wanted to give him the benfit of the doubt, he could have meant it as a playful challenge to push/encourage you even more. He did compliment/backpat you.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

possibly. 'i could be wrong'.

got up and was on the rode by 7:35. 25ish miles in the same loop up Town Mtn/Blue Ridge Parkway/Biltmore Forest and in to the gym. 1:55'ish. I think I cut 5 minutes or so off of that but the LegLogger app stopped halfway. I just need to get a computer for the bike.

at the gym, i started my Shoulder Press strength cycle.

60% Day, 110#
    5 x 5 on the 3minute mark.

that was all. got on the bike and rode the couple of miles back to the house.

House to Work

For reference later.

Bike to Work 30:09 on the Timex.

House to Work

Bike to CrossFit 22 ish on the Timex

Work to CFA

Strength/Skill Work: Box jumps 5-5-5-5-5 Work on landing softly and increasing height while staying in control!

Started on 24" box for first set, Added a 45# rubber bumper plate for each successive set.
    Final set = 37 3/4" (24" Box + 4x45# bumper)
    my previous single rep max height box jump was just 36". guess i need to see if i got a 48" jump in me

WOD

Complete 4 rounds of the following:

As many rounds as possible in 2 minutes of:

5 burpee dumbbell deadlifts

10 box jumps

30 seconds rest

As many rounds as possible in 2 minutes of:

5 pull-ups

10 squats

30 seconds rest

Begin each round where you left off on the previous set. At the end combine rounds of each couplet for total score. (Every 15 reps counts towards an additional round.)

15 rounds + 9 reps total Rx'd with 45# dumbells, 24" box, no bands
    i'm ok with that.

Bike to House

Crossfit to House

stupid google won't map from my chair to the fridge...

Bike to Work - same as monday, 31:15

Bike to CFA - same as monday, 23:??

I intentionally did not push as hard on either ride; monday basically sucked ass...but, hard to quantify with 6 stoplights that I can't seem to not get stopped at least by two of them.

WOD

In 6 minutes complete

500m row

400m run

Max rep double unders

Rest exactly 3 minutes and repeat for 3 total rounds.

Your score is your total number of completed double unders. If you are doing singles then divide your total number of singles by 4 for your score. (Yes 4, not 3)
    you can believe i was cussing when i saw this wod this morning.

my goal was for each row to stay under 2 minutes and each run to stay under 3 minutes.
    My rows were:1:45, 1:55 and 1:58.
    My run was 2:22, ?:??, 2:48...not sure about the middle, i think i just forgot to look at my watch.
    my score was 55: 15, 19, 21 - got my rythm back a little...hadn't done DU's in a while. My goal had been to get 60 so, close. Two guys got 305 DU's today...i'm not doubting them but that just seems like a hell of a lot.

Bike to House

EOD weight: 240. Finally back down a bit. I've been monitoring 'energy balance' closely the last two months or so. I was floating at 248 for most of the winter. I had gotten down to 235 last spring...women...anyways. 240 was the first goal.

Trying to decide about taking July off from CF to just ride. My birthday is in Aug and I have planned to ride to the top of Mount Mitchell (highest point east of the Rockies) on my birthday. It's 36-38 miles from here and about 3800' or so of climb. I know I could ride it now, with breaks, but I'd like to be ready to make it on one shot if I could.

I'm going to finish out June with this weeks schedule: Commuting on CFA days, Big ride on saturday and I'm going to Richmond to visit family over the 4th. I'm taking both bikes but plan on fun/scenic rides in my old hometown vs. any real training rides.

Perhaps the time off will shake the distaste I have for the egotism and cultish crap going on and I can stick it out. My successes and failures are mine alone and I've been having fun there...now it's turning into not so fun which is what martial arts had turned into for me. I've also thought about just checking out the other two CF gyms to see what the vibe is like there. We'll see.

I'm glad to see this thread is still going!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

dude?!?
    where ya been?

*plays lisa stansfield*

"been around the world, and I, I, I...."

just letting life run it's course. which incidentally, brought me back to the CMA world... I'm still doing mma stuff, but my schedule is more in line with the CMA school's schedule.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

ok...just threw up in my mouth a little...

that explains the forms...but the Zumba???

just kidding.

guess you see what i'm up to. enjoying the helll out of CF...i wish somebody had told me about snatches and overhead squats a long time ago...but it's really as bad as any other ma school in some respects. ego's abound and this place is starting to have the 'relationship' issues that I've seen at every organized school i've been to...it's really funny in some respects. sad in others.

I know the guy who owns the cf gym in my city. But with everything else going on, I never have time to go. A few of the local gyms are starting to get equipment for cf workouts, though.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter