Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

Originally posted by Oso
    oh, you don't want to see me w/o a shirt...that would be bad, very bad.
    Well, you don't have to post a pic of it.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    well, you know the rule "It didn't happen if you don't have video or at least a pic" If I managed '1' buck nekkid, I'd have to post a pic of it.

I wonder if I'd get banned for that
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Oso
    well, you know the rule "It didn't happen if you don't have video or at least a pic" If I managed '1' buck nekkid, I'd have to post a pic of it.

I would think.

but, let's not find out

One comment on your form, aside from the shoulders which I believe Toby pointed out - it kinda looked like your elbows were flaring out a bit. I like to have them going down, so I have the idea of my forearms going to brush my ribs.

Good work, BTW.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Toby
    try some just wearing shorts
    Shorts. Not nekkid. Shorts. *Shudder*

Agree with Vash re the elbows. Some things I've read say to visualise pulling your elbows straight down instead of pulling yourself up.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

maybe try some assisted pullups to get more reps.

A way to do assisted pullups is to get some stretch bands and tie each end to the bar. Pull yourself up and put your knees inside the stretch bands. Lower yourself down as the bands stretch and pull yourself up as the band assists. You can make the band shorter or longer for different amounts of assistance. You may also be able to use bicycle inner tubes.

Just a thought to get more reps in. The theory is if you can get more reps, your muscles will remember the motion and you'll be able to do more un-assisted.

Nice handy work by the way. I've got an interesting pullup bar that I made in my garage. I'll take a pic and post.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Re: maybe try some assisted pullups to get more reps.

Originally posted by Chief Fox
    A way to do assisted pullups is to get some stretch bands and tie each end to the bar. Pull yourself up and put your knees inside the stretch bands. Lower yourself down as the bands stretch and pull yourself up as the band assists. You can make the band shorter or longer for different amounts of assistance. You may also be able to use bicycle inner tubes.
    And if you lose your grip, you'll have a nice face imprint in the wall!
    Just a thought to get more reps in. The theory is if you can get more reps, your muscles will remember the motion and you'll be able to do more un-assisted.
    Not exactly sure what you mean here, but if I'm reading it right, then it's very wrong. You need more strength to do one first - that means negatives, even weighted negatives. When you can do one, do that one then more negatives and keep going until you can do several full ROM reps. Your muscles don't have a memory and NMF (nuero muscular facilitation - you guys have another term for it.... I can't remember it. GTO or something) anyway, that won't help you do more necessarily unless the strength is there. If you do assisted ones and get more reps in, it will help build strength up to a point, but it's nothing to do with memory.

Just keep plugging away, big bear - you'll get there. And I want to see the first nekkid pullup come from you man. Actually, Ming Yue is at your school, huh? Ask her if she'll post a nekkid pull up pic. I'd ask her myself, but I'm not that crass.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

faster than a midget transvestite hooker at the mormon tabernacle.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

But not Ming Yue, right?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    faster than a midget transvestite hooker at the mormon tabernacle.
    what if it was an edited nekkid picture? you know, blurry and all that.

c'mon, I gotta be first at something around here

ok, so the next pic will be of the contraption I concieved of for doing assisted pullup and dips.

Toby, I've been using the 'pull the elbows' down visualization since you said it on another thread...it helps, thanks.

I think at this point I need to work on losing the 20 lbs. that I want/need to lose anyway.

rep wise I'm doing the workout #1 thing so I've been getting a total of 18 reps in my workout. This past saturday I started doing 1-2-3-3-2-1 on the wide grip and 1-2-2-1 on the narrow and normal. So, that means 24.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Oso and I discussed his elbows being pointed out a little last week, but his shoulders are messed up (understatement) and it's painful if not impossible for him to pull his elbows any further into his body.

Oso, what about wide grip - any better/worse on the shoulders?

I still plan on modifying the bar to have a wider grip range but probably won't happen till after th e open house.

In the meanwhile you can just take a board or anything wide enough and some rope or a long towel and drape them over your existing bars for a wider grip.
    Granted the grip will be different, but it'll allow you to get wider and concentrate more on your back muscles when doing the pullups. Plus it's something different to toss in the mix, it's always good to try varying grips every so often.

Re: Re: maybe try some assisted pullups to get more reps.

Originally posted by Serpent
    And if you lose your grip, you'll have a nice face imprint in the wall!
    Not exactly sure what you mean here, but if I'm reading it right, then it's very wrong. You need more strength to do one first - that means negatives, even weighted negatives. When you can do one, do that one then more negatives and keep going until you can do several full ROM reps. Your muscles don't have a memory and NMF (nuero muscular facilitation - you guys have another term for it.... I can't remember it. GTO or something) anyway, that won't help you do more necessarily unless the strength is there. If you do assisted ones and get more reps in, it will help build strength up to a point, but it's nothing to do with memory.

Just keep plugging away, big bear - you'll get there. And I want to see the first nekkid pullup come from you man. Actually, Ming Yue is at your school, huh? Ask her if she'll post a nekkid pull up pic. I'd ask her myself, but I'm not that crass.
    Don't want to hijack OSO's thread but now I'm gonna have to go do research to back up what I said. I was just trying to suggest another way to do a pullup workout. I agree that negatives are best but what is wrong with doing un assisted pullups, then moving to negatives and then doing some assisted pullups? I'll start a new thread.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

yea, we wouldn't want any hijacking going on at KFM

Re: Re: Re: maybe try some assisted pullups to get more reps.

Originally posted by Chief Fox
    Don't want to hijack OSO's thread but now I'm gonna have to go do research to back up what I said. I was just trying to suggest another way to do a pullup workout. I agree that negatives are best but what is wrong with doing un assisted pullups, then moving to negatives and then doing some assisted pullups? I'll start a new thread.
    Sorry, didn't mean to suggested that assisted pullups were necessarily a bad thing. I was more addressing the memory thing.