Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Tuesday 1-18-05

Just taught class last night so no major workout.

Feel good and rested today though and am really looking forward to this afternoons workout.

Soreness was very quick to dissipate from Saturdays workout...decent rest and decent food w/ somewhere around 120-130 grams of protein a day intake.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

That's a great sig.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

yea, it is. I snorted Gin and NoFear all over my computer when I read it.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Two things occurred to me this morning:

(i) Pull ups are easier with a smaller bar. Mine is std barbell diameter. Yours looks 2" or so. Bigger == harder. Works your grip more though.

(ii) (Related to (i)) I like to wrap my hand like a python around the bar. Before I start I get my hand horizontal above the bar, wrap my fingers around, then pull my wrist down like my fingers are a spanner tightening on the bar, then wrap my thumb tightly over the fingers. At the end of a set when my fingers are slipping a bit, it's much harder than when the fingers are fully tight.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

good points.

the outside diameter of my bar is exactly 1 5/8. part of the reason I didn't go with the next size up is that it would have been 1 7/8 od.

lol, i start out that way, my hands wrapped, but tend to slip once my fat azz gets on 'em.

I've seen guys use the wrist wrap things and I guess that makes it a little easier but since I don't do a ton of other grip training I want to combine it with the pullups.

today was a crappy day at work...we have had a rash of breakins at the day school where I work and I was awakened early by a phonecall and spent the day involved with police and glass repair people.

didn't eat breakfast because I had to rush to work....didn't get to lunch till 12:30 and didn't eat between then and the workout at 4 when I had a protein bar(30g).

overall thoguht the workout was pretty good.

stacked my mats up so I could ease into the up position on the bar instead of jumping and did about a 5 second hold at the top of the ROM and about a 3 second drop. felt ok strong but actually got a little nauseated.

Originally posted by Oso
    ... since I don't do a ton of other grip training I want to combine it with the pullups.
    That's why it's harder - part of the effort goes towards grip. One more related thing - it'll be easier if you have something to help you hold the bar. Mine's knurled. Yours isn't. Maybe some thin grip tape? You don't wanna increase the diameter any more probably, but you might find some thin tape of some sort.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

right. the bar isn't too slick, the galvanized finish has lots of bumps and such.

some grip tape might help though.

I've basically become somewhat convinced that the major issue is my weight. I graduated high school at 185 and haven't grown in height since then and I'm now 240ish. 2 years ago I had gotten down to 208 from a then all time high of 233 and felt ****ing awesome.

'somebody' who will remain nameless, just cookes to **** well...

but, anyway. I'm gonna keep plugging away at the pullups, buy a scale, and start logging my weight loss vs. results on the bar.

Originally posted by Oso
    'somebody' who will remain nameless, just cookes to **** well...
    Roflmao! She's been known to induce cravings in me from the other side of the world .

Vash, get your mind out of the gutter - I meant when she posts recipes and such .

The weight thing will help immensely I'll bet. If you're that close now, you could probably do a full ROM pull up after losing as little as 5-10lb.

Originally posted by Oso
    felt ok strong but actually got a little nauseated.
    You were holding your breath, weren't you. Silly bear!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Toby
    Vash, get your mind out of the gutter - I meant when she posts recipes and such .
    . . . Of course you were.

Originally posted by Serpent
    You were holding your breath, weren't you. Silly bear!
    actually, no. I hold for a moment at the top and then exhale through the drop.

I think it was because I was holding longer at the top than I have in the past.

or it could have been the poor food intake for the day.

Here's a little pullup inspiration for you. http://www.dragondoor.com/jallstadt.html
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

good article, thanks.

makes me think about the law of diminishing returns though.

and, as such, more about losing weight.

Oso - Let's Make a Deal

Here's the deal, or at least, my part:

After my next three weeks lifting, during which I'll be using a pullup assist machine (teh evil!) I'm starting back on bodyweight, neutral-grip pullups. By then, I'll be sure of my elbow's integrity, and will be finished with this cycle. Therefore, I'll be able to plug high-rep, BW pulls into my routine.

At 145lbs, I could do 25 supinated, pronated, and neutral.
    At 200lbs, I have yet to pull a single, full-ROM, BW chin.

So, if it suits you, we'll have a "chin-off" (I would have said "pull-off," but that's far too lude, even for me) - greatest increase in reps + greatest weight lost = winner.

My bodyweight goal is 180lbs.

To you, I leave the decision of the "prize" and the duration of our contest.

Have at you!

RAOFLMAO !!!!

ok, you're on.

but, I'm two hyooooge margaritas into it and will reread in the AM.

you actually did make me LOL....