Page 39 of 64 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Strength/Skill Work L-sit progression: See how many sets it takes to equal a total of 3 minutes. If you are unable to do at least one 20 second L-sit then do a tuck sit. If the same applies to a tuck sit then do L or tuck hangs from the bar. Rest as needed between sets.

I did L tucks; 5 sets total to get over 3 minutes...all sets over 30 seconds with a 41 second set and the last set was 42 seconds for 3:01 min

WOD

Tabata Mash-up

Sit-ups

Pull-ups

2 minutes rest

Tabata Mash-up

Push-ups

Squats

A tabata mash-up is an 8 minute interval consisting of alternating between the two exercises and performing as many reps as possible of exercise A in 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest, as many reps as possible of exercise B in 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest and back to A…
    it was just 8 minutes total...i thought it was going to be 16 min...i got 166 reps total for all exercises.

hated missing the rest of the week after monday.
    next saturday is a special endurance WOD: a 17 mile hike with challenge stations...should be fun...and an excuse to buy new shoes!!!!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

CrossFit

edit: monday's workout

Strength/Skill Work Single support deadlifts: Find your 5,3, or 1 rep max that you can complete bilaterally depending on what you last completed. First time? Begin with a 5 rep max.

i got 105 this time, a bit more than last...left leg was crazy unstable, kept dabbing
    did 4 sets of 5 each leg @ 45, 65, 95, 105

WOD

“Nancy”

5 rounds of

400m run

15 overhead squats

For time.

Please note: There will be a 25 minute cap on this work-out. Men are prescribed at 95lbs and 65lbs. A guideline to use would be OHS 70% of 5 rep max. We last did “Nancy” on June 29th.
    my first time with Nancy...one of the standard CF workouts...i got scared of 95# for the OHS and dropped back to 75# and posted 16:51 ... should have gone with the 95# and taken the longer time. still, felt ok with it and paced myself on the 400's so as to try to run all 5 rounds evenly.
    Last edited by Oso; 08-11-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: date
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

CrossFit

CrossFit

Strength/Skill Work: Squat Clean Technique

just working the techniques for the various cleans: power, hang...

WOD

“The Hilt”

21-15-9

Squat Cleans (Men-135lbs, Women-95lbs)

Burpees

For time.
    135# = hahahahaha

I was at 75# and posted 14:16

was close to puking, real close...

resting between now and the 17-19 mile (they said it might be closer to 19) hike thing...new trail shoes were purchased! a sweet pair of Asics.

20 mile hike

starting elevation around 2300' to ending elevation at 5741 i think...we revise later

the biggest portion of the hike was 17.8miles ending at 5000'...i clocked that at 6.25 hours...had an hour break due to logistical issues as I was out of water and the support vehicle had not caught up. the last bit was a 3 mile out and back. 1.5 miles up with an elevation gain of 741...then back to the cars. I went up in 33 minutes.

my body is wrecked from the hips down...

here is a link to the website for the annual trail run up what we did yesterday.

http://www.shutinridgerun.com/

a topo map w/ trail highlighted on it

http://www.blackmountainmarathon.com/ShutInTopo.JPG

my right hip is crunchy...knees are tight and not wanting to move...muscles in the legs feel fine, will probably be sore later.

i hope monday's WOD is NOT legs...

by the time i went to bed last night, my lower legs and feet were visibly swollen...looked like the pillsbury dough boy.

back to normalish this morning...still joint sore but he hip is not crunching when i get out of the chair.

the pic

only one taken of me the day of the hike...this is just after the first 6 miles, which I did in ~90 minutes give or take a minute.

CrossFit

Strength/Skill Work Front Squat: Find your 5,3, or 1 rep max depending on what you last completed. If you last found your 1 rep max, find a new 5 rep max.

first time for me maxing these...still lots of shoulder/elbow/wrist flexability issues so I'm gripping the bar more than resting it on the shoulders with a loose grip
    5 x 95
    5 x 115
    5 x 135
    5 x 155
    5 x 175

WOD

5 rounds for time:

100m grip farmer’s carry (hold dumbbell’s on wide side or plate’s from edge M-25lbs, W-15lbs)

12 kettlebell swings (M-53lbs, W-35lbs)

15 knees to elbows
    hey, I didn't realize that I Rx'd this till just now. I used a 25 pound plate in each hand and the 53# KB

16:26

the 100m grip carry was funny: walk and you are gripping longer; run and it's bouncing in your hand

overall, I felt great physically today. the right hip is still a bit crunchy but the knees and ankles were as flawless as possible and no muscle soreness at all in the legs...maybe a tiny slight pull/strain on something in the left inner thigh but I did the front squats very slow and controlled.

good times

Crossfit

Strength/Skill Work Power Snatch: Heavy single

another first time lift for me. I worked up from bar weight to 154# but kept good form mostly through it all. Lifted 154 3 times because the first two I had a little bit of a press at the end. the 3rd lift was a good solid stick. i think video was going for some of it...if it gets posted, i'll link to it

WOD

Shortened Lynne-like

3 Rounds:

Perform max rep ring dips/bar dips immediately followed by max rep pull-ups

Rest as needed b/w rounds.

kinda a light day for the WOD. i still used bands, greed for the ring dips and black/gray for the pull ups.

I think my numbers were:

16-14-14 on the dips
    8-6-10 on the pullups

I am probably going to be cutting out the weekend CF and get back on the bike. I need longer duration work to cut more weight. and, i'm working on deciding when and how I'm going to get back in to training...probably just grappling...i've tested the hip every now and then on a kick and it still fires up on the first kick. right now i'm kinda thinking about waiting till it's too cold to ride and go back into the grappling class in november, train over the winter in grappling, possibly compete in March and then go back outside on the bike. i like this idea because it takes me back to where I started: wrestling in the winter season. NAGA has the 40+ category and a 50+ cat for old fucts like me.

Strength/Skill Work Burgener warm-up and push jerk review

WOD

Complete 5 rounds of the following for time:

12 Deadlifts

9 Hang Power Cleans

6 Push Jerk

Men-135lbs, Ladies-95lbs
    my calf started bothering me...the same one i messed up last spring...so, i was feeling it tonight and didn't push 135

14:29 w/ 115#

Sunday Mtn Bike

got in an awesome 2:20 on the bike today...two big climbs of ~400' and ~800' and a screaming downhill of 2.5 miles with an 800' drop.

add in 90 minutes of mowing and weedeating immediately afterward and I readily justified pizza tonight!

Strength/Skill Work Deadlift: Find your 5,3, or 1 rep max depending on what you last completed. If you last found your 1 rep max, find a new 5 rep max.

i last did 5 x 275
    i did 3 x 286 tonight...i was gunning for 3 x 365 since that was my last 1RM
    i totally felt yesterdays bike ride in the legs, back and grip
    not unhappy, hoping for more but i know how big the ride was yesterday

WOD

9 power cleans (Use Grace or DT weight)

3 rounds of Cindy*

6 power cleans

2 rounds of Cindy

3 power cleans

1 round of Cindy

For time.

*Cindy is a CrossFit work-out where one round is equal to 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 squats.
    yea, so:

9 power cleans followed by 15 pullups, 30 pushups, 45 BW squats
    6 power cleans followed by 10 pullups, 20 pushups, 30 BWS
    3 power cleans followed by 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 BWS

i felt good about 135# on the PC's and (using a gray band) hitting all but 3 of my pullups as kipping solar plexus to bar pullups in sub 11 minutes at 10:50

resting tomorrow...

Mtn Bike Ride

1 hour 45 minutes in the saddle.

Wolf Branch to Ledford Branch to Ingles Field to North Boundary to Greenslick trail head = about 800 foot climb over several miles on 90% single track, some smooth, some moderately technical. I was 1 hour and 10 minutes or so to the top.

Greenslick is logged at 2.5 miles of single track dropping the 800' back down but there is still about 2 miles of rolling hills back to the car on road and some more single track.

Crossfit

Strength/Skill Work Push Press: Find your 5,3, or 1 rep max depending on what you last completed. If you last found your 1 rep max, find a new 5 rep max.

first time maxing the pushpress
    5 x 44 (bar)
    5 x 94
    5 x 114
    5 x 134
    5 x 154
    5 x 164
    5 x 169

WOD

Max rep thrusters for 90 seconds

60 seconds rest

Max rep pull-ups for 90 seconds

60 seconds rest

Max rep thrusters for 60 seconds

60 seconds rest

Max rep pull-ups for 60 seconds

60 seconds rest

Max rep thrusters for 30 seconds

60 seconds rest

Max rep pull-ups for 30 seconds
    used 94# on the bar and the gray band for pullups

total reps for each:
    38 Thrusters
    42 pullups

got bored and went to open floor at CrossFit

am riding again tomorrow so didn't want to do a WOD

did box jumps for max height: 36"

i got 35 easy but had like 6 or 7 attempts at 36 before getting it

then i tried Rowing for Watts again. only got 815.

i wasn't linking up good with the maching, kept falling off the seat (yea, it was funny)

my previous was 846, I'd really like to see 1000.