Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Monday Grappling

slowish night, only 4 of us there.
    i got asked to help teach/refine some single leg stuff we did last week
    worked some subs on the ground
    rolled some at the end.
    got some of my groove back.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

oh, yea, huge dif between doing this class fresh...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

grappling

just drills tonight, no rolling.

locks from the top mount, side mount.

my shoulders are a but wrung out from yesterday and today.

doing a little praying at the Altar of Aleve.

Strength/Skill Work:Single support deadlift

45 x 5
    65 x 5
    75 x 5
    95 x 5
    95 x 5

5 each leg of course, still really feeling that hip flexor/stability muscle thingie on the one legged stuff so i just kept it light.

WOD

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Thrusters (70% of thruster 5RM not to exceed 95/65lbs)

Burpees

For time.
    95 on the bar
    14:15

my zod that sucked.

CrossFit

Skill tonight was kip swings, a precurser of the kipping pull up.
    we did 5 x 10 swings, 3 w/ forward grip and 2 reversed grip
    then we tried to get as many kipping pull ups in a row as possible.
    last night just messing around I got my first set of 3 continuous and could only get that again tonight, i lose the rythm too quick and my shoulders don't really like it at all.

Complete for time 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 reps of:

Double Unders

Sit Ups
    if you don't have a good double under (which I don't, i can do them but not more than 3-5 in a row) then you could do triple the number of singles...which is what I did.

so:

10:09

friday will def be a rest day...my fav brewery is having it's 15th anniversary celebration and you KNOW i won't be missing that.

i'm feeling ok for 5 days on...Tues grappling wasn't really a 'work out' since we didn't spend 30 minutes or so rolling after but...i'll still count it as 5 days.

Sunday

at home, still nearly a foot of snow on the ground but i wanted to do at least a little something:

100 squats 3:03

100 pushups 8:30

100 situps 3:57

wasn't really trying to go balls out or anything, interval between each set of 100 was probably 60-90 seconds..wasn't really timing the total duration

that is 3/4 of the WOD called 'Angie' ...100 pullups were not done because the bar is outside and is cold

Monday

well, they decided to shut the school down for the whole week...no grappling for you!

so, CrossFit...

Strength/Skill Work: Overhead squat

my last OHS workout was to find a 1RM @ 150
    now, apparently, we go into a workset cycle...i thought we just went back to finding 5RM, 3RM and then 1RM...

so: 5 x 5 @ 70% of your 1RM = 105
    5 x 44
    5 x 64
    5 x 94
    then
    104 x 5 x 5

i can't seem to ever get the 45# bar so I'm using a 20k bar which is 44.4# i think

WOD

5 Rounds of:

7 Power snatch (70% of max pwr snatch or OHS 5RM not to exceed 115/75lbs)

12 Box jumps (24″/20″)

For time.
    i thought i Rx'd it but forgot that I'm still only using the 20" box...i'd a gone ahead and gotten on a 24 if I had thought about it...i got a bit scared of the 115#, I'd gone in thinking I'd probably do 95# and then the math for my power snatch was really 107 or 108 but got told to do the Rx weight....felt pretty good, i was happy with 8:13.

so, i guess i'll be Crossfit mon, tue & wed this week...maybe thursday morning as I'm off...depends on if there is cold running or not

CrossFit

Strength/Skill Work: Push-press

last was a 5RM @ 169

5 x 44
    5 x 64
    3 x 88
    3 x 132
    3 x 152
    3 x 172
    3 x 182

WOD

21 front squats

21 pull-ups

15 push-press

15 pull-ups

9 thrusters

9 pull-ups

For time.

Use the same bar for the entire work-out. Use 75% of your max push-press or thruster weight not to exceed 135/95lbs. This work-out should completed with a load 20-30% heavier than at which you would perform the benchmark WOD Fran.
    125# on Bar
    Green Band for pullups
    9:34

i did Franzilla recently...need to go back and look at the previous time
    i know i used 115# on the bar and the gray band, so at the least i used more weight and less help on the pushups but I don't remember what my last time was.

***edit***

just looked back: 8:39 for Franzilla at 115# and gray band.
    enh, i'll take it, especially after a decent performance on the push press earlier in the workout.
    Last edited by Oso; 12-22-2009 at 09:10 PM.

CrossFit

they called this one 'Heartbeat' but i'm renaming it for myself as "Poop"

Strength/Skill Workeadlift

ok, my last effort was a 3RM @ 352...
    5 x 45
    5 x 135
    3 x 225
    1 x 315...

no grip, yesterday's wod def hit my forearms.
    and when i hit the 225's i just felt fatigued...not tired, not really sore...just fatigued.
    tried a couple more attemps at 315 and got it again for a single and went ahead and stopped...needless to say, this was foreshadowing...

WOD

5 rounds of:

30 seconds max rep hang power cleans (70% of max rep hang power clean not to exceed 135/95lbs)

30 seconds max rep kettlebell swings (1.5/1 pood)

1 minute rest
    i went with 115 on the bar and used the 52.9 KB
    104 reps total
    poop
    grip was shot, couldn't hold a pencil to write afterwards.
    thurs and fri shall be rest days
    i don't feel so good about today but i felt like i did have some really good efforts on mon and tues...after those two wods, i felt like i wanted to do more...

grappling

striking from the guard drills

then we rolled, 5 man round robin, 3 minute rounds, you were in for 4 rounds and 1 rest, we did it twice

the same 180# pounder is still schooling my fat ass...i'm waaaay better conditioned so i'm barely breathing hard but i just can't get **** on him...ah, well.

there is another problem too...no one else my size, the next heaviest guys are just 210-215 or so.

< 4hours sleep last night...i don't know what to do about this...training till 10pm and I just can't get to sleep before 2am...

2 spa deliveries today, both tougher than normal and 1 was a right ***** of a delivery complete with off road 4 wheelin, 8" of snow and actually breaking the cabinet of the spa as we hoisted it up on to the deck...

and, i didn't eat between 7am and 5pm...barely got a quart of water in me during that time.

soooo, not training tonight...call me what you will....

the rest of last week sucked too...a rash of emergency hot-tub-not-heating calls came in resulting in my laying on or under peoples decks until 6:30ish on wed and thur left me cold to the bone and brought on some chest congestion...laid low throughout the weekend but spent several hours yesterday still out in this freak ass cold we got going on here.

texted and called everyone on the list about open mat on sunday but no takers...

still, got to grappling last night and tonight...drilling mostly both nights...nothing too special...no rolling at all.

if all goes as planned, crossfit the next two nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    striking from the guard drills

then we rolled, 5 man round robin, 3 minute rounds, you were in for 4 rounds and 1 rest, we did it twice

the same 180# pounder is still schooling my fat ass...i'm waaaay better conditioned so i'm barely breathing hard but i just can't get **** on him...ah, well.

there is another problem too...no one else my size, the next heaviest guys are just 210-215 or so.
    Hi can i ask what you way and what your desk numbers are for deadlift, squat and bench or standing press, just trying to get a handle on your relative strength levels

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Hi can i ask what you way and what your desk numbers are for deadlift, squat and bench or standing press, just trying to get a handle on your relative strength levels
    1RM DL was 355 w/ normal grip and 367 with reversed (romanian?) grip several months ago but my most recent attempt was only 315...but it was the 3rd day in a row and my efforts at CF at 6:30pm are directly related to what sort of work day i have.

I just recently got a 1RM OHS of 150

I haven't done bench in well over a year.

I don't really have a front squat because I don't have a real front rack due to poor flexibility in the shoulders due to injuries.

I think my back squat was 315 but it's been a while, I'd have to look back upthread to check.
    ***nope, it was 294***

Power Clean 1RM @ 184.

I can take an empty hot tub that weighs about 550 and move it from a normal flat position to standing on edge by myself
    Last edited by Oso; 01-06-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    1RM DL was 355 w/ normal grip and 367 with reversed (romanian?) grip several months ago but my most recent attempt was only 315...but it was the 3rd day in a row and my efforts at CF at 6:30pm are directly related to what sort of work day i have.

I just recently got a 1RM OHS of 150

I haven't done bench in well over a year.

I don't really have a front squat because I don't have a real front rack due to poor flexibility in the shoulders due to injuries.

I think my back squat was 315 but it's been a while, I'd have to look back upthread to check.
    ***nope, it was 294***

Power Clean 1RM @ 184.

I can take an empty hot tub that weighs about 550 and move it from a normal flat position to standing on edge by myself
    got to love that strength gained from manual work, dads strength as dan john calls it

do you feel being stronger might help you on the mats with this guy? if so it might be an idea to do a dedicated strength routine for a few days a week and just maintain your present conditioning levels if you feel they are ok