Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Deadlifts

New 1RM today: 405 w/ opposing grip up from 365 w/ opposing grip. Details later.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Details:

warmup various bw stuff including squats, pushups, situps, GHD Situps, GHD back extensions...10 each

5 x 135 0:00
    3 x 225 3:00
    1 x 315 6:00
    1 x 335 9:00
    1 x 355 12:00 failed
    up to this rep i was all double overhand grip. I got about 90-95% of the way up and was just locking it in when the bar rolled out of my hands.

1 x 355 15:00 failed, same thing
    1 x 345 19:00 failed but only 50% of the way up

from here on out i switched to opposing grip on all subsequent reps

1 x 355 22:00 got it easy but not so great form
    1 x 365 23:00 easy, good form
    1 x 385 25:00 getting harder, form ok
    1 x 405 28:00 yea, that's kinda heavy, form still ok
    1 x 410 31:00 got it about 4-6" off the ground and got stuck

cleaned up the plates and got on with the workout

Kipping pullups, max rep on the 3 starting at:

41:00 - 9
    44:00 - 6
    47:00 - 7
    50:00 - 7
    53:00 - 7

Ring Dips, assist from 2 purple bands (those are the smallest)

56:00 - 12
    59:00 - 8
    62:00 - 6
    65:00 - 6
    68:00 - 7

Deadlifts: so, apparently i can't pick up a bar over 335# with a natural/symetrical/double overhand grip. I started this deadlift thing with a 335 1RM with dbl overhand and a 365 1RM with opposing grip. I got 40 more pounds or slightly more than a 10% increase w/ opposing grip but technically no gain with dbl over grip. Maybe I could have gotten 340-350 if I hadn't have jumped 20# so, i'll have to play with that as a goal and see.

I wonder if there is any function of hand/finger length to maintaining my grip. My fingers and hands are relatively short and broad. I don't really think my grip is weak but the bar just rolls out.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Sunday Road Ride

Today was Town Mountain day. I've ridden this before on my mtn bike but today was the first for the cross bike. I've since determined I really should not have gotten a cross bike as the gearing is more similar to a mtn bike than a road bike. It has slightly more top end than the mtn bike but i have yet to determine if that is simply due to less rolling resistance from the skinnier tires. I have some research to do. I do know I have some options for changing the rings out to change of the gear ratios but that's not going to happen soon.

anyways...i also had flat issues today. slow leaks in both tires that made me stop 3 times to pump them back up...rolled back in to the driveway with both of them ~50% not good.

was in the saddle from 9:02 - 11:37 on this route:

ok, can't figure out how to make google do the circle i want....first link is first half and the second link is the second half of the route back to the house...looks like around 20 miles with the first half being really frakking uphill and the first part of the second half being downhill and the rest rolling hills through town.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=13

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=15

Strength/Skill: Back Squat

45 x 5
    132 x 5
    198 x 3
    218 x 1
    244 x 1
    264 x 1
    286 x 1
    308 x 1
    328 x 1

WOD: AMRAP in 10 minutes:

5 Chest-To-Bar Pullups

10 Pushups

15 Squats
    6 Rounds + 5 pullups + 5 pushups

we were crowded as hell tonight. I really would have had a full 7 rounds at least if not for having to dodge people at the pullup bars and i ended up off the side of the rack where the triangular support was and i was real close to smashing my face each pullup so i was not hammering through them like i have been able to (see saturday's workout)...and then the newbies in the class after ours were coming in and didn't know enough to give people in the wod the right-of-way...

oh, yea...that back squat was a PR...my last was 296.

Strength/Skill Work: Heavy Kettlebell swings 15-15-15-15

15 x 45
    10 x 1.5 pood
    4 x 15 x 2 pood

that 2 pood is made of gravity...

WOD

3 Rounds of:

7 Push Jerk (80-85% 5RM not to exceed 155/105lbs)

7 HIGH box jumps (35″/28″)

For time.
    4:56
    157.5# on the bar...had to use the metrics and had to be slightly over or slightly under.
    35" on the box

so, fully prescribed. when warming up for the box jumps i set up the 35" (24" box + plates) and totally double clutched the first couple of attempts. came back off to 30" and got three and went back up to 35". my recorded max box jump is just 36"...prolly need to redo that....did all three sets pretty easily and based on how fast my 3rd set was, i should have been faster on the previous 2 sets. i think i was the only guy in the gym to Rx this wod today.

legs were sore as hell from my Sat/Sun/Mon efforts, almost didn't go at all tonight cuz i thought i might need the extra rest but i know i won't be doing anything besides work thurs and fri. ended up with good work tonight though.

thursdays are off the schedule for crossfit, possibly biking if work allows. but, i'm scheduling big days for Tue/Tr so i can be sure to make Mon/Wed.

also, i tried an 18 hour fast today. From 12 midnight to 6pm today. been looking in to 'intermittent fasting' just mostly as a curiosity. not sure how i was supposed to feel...mostly just hungry and ready to rip someone's head off for the early part of the day but kinda got in a zone in the afternoon...not bad or good...i may keep trying it on fridays for a while. friday is the only day right now that i feel i can do it. i do NOT feel like fasting of any sort is possible with the fairly high intensity training and work schedule i have. with thursdays and fridays off, I can be sure to recover on thursday with plenty of protein and see what happens.

fwiw, I was 249# at 7am this morning and 246.6# at 6pm this afternoon.
    i drank around 2 quts of water throughout the day and 2 starbucks 'tall' coffees w/ a shot of espresso...black...which is just nasty. i've been drinking coffee since i was 8 and it's been cream and sugar the whole time...i like my coffee like i like my women: 'strong, sweet and creamy'

I redid "Grace" today. 30 C&J's for time @ 135#.

Last effort: 3:29
    Today: 3:06

i really should have busted 3 min but, i didn't. still an improvement of :23 seconds or about 11% if I"m doing my math right.

my next effort at a 'strength cycle' is going to be standing shoulder press.

after a 10 min rest I attempted to find a 5RM today

135 x 5
    145 x 3
    145 x 2
    145 x 2
    145 x 3

so, i guess 135 but certainly trying that after 'grace' was not optimum.

Sunday Road Ride

found this app for my android...todays ride:

http://www.leglogger.com/LegLoggerWe...oOU%2FeUHac%3D

there is a script error that keeps popping up for me...just hit 'yes' to stop the script and most of the map will show up as well as all of the other data below the map. pretty frakking cool.
    Last edited by Oso; 05-23-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Day 3

i could def tell it was day 3, my legs so gave out tonight

Strength/Skill Work: Power clean- find your 3 rep max

yippee, i did 30 Power cleans as fast as I could just saturday....

45 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 3
    175 x 3
    185 x 3
    185 x 3

i repeated at 185 because form was breaking down.
    not bad, i have a 1RM of 200

WOD

20 power cleans

400m run

20 chest to bar pullups

for time.

Use ~70-80% of today’s max clean not to exceed 135/95lbs
    70% = ~129
    80% = ~148
    so, i did 135#
    all KPU's, no bands
    7:30

my legs just went to hell about rep 8...was down to singles at rep 15
    did ok on the pullups but had 4 'misses' where my chest didn't touch the bar so I didn't count them.

rest day tomorrow...except it's also lawn mowing day...my yard is a hill, not exactly your average wussy flatlander yard...ok, i'll stop whining now...

worked till 5ish wednesday and was at least 90 minutes from asheville..wouldn't have made it to CF in time...and there was a beautiful trout stream right there by the road...so, i fished and rockhopped with nothing but the sound of the river for 2 hours before coming back.

rode to work today, the time of day is off and the script is still screwing up...i've heard of a couple other apps for the droid that i'm gonna try.

morning ride in:
    http://www.leglogger.com/LegLoggerWe...tAction&id=761

evening ride to beer tasting
    the time is way skewed because i forgot to turn it off right when i got there...there was beer to be had!!!:

http://www.leglogger.com/LegLoggerWe...tAction&id=766

beer tasting to home:

http://www.leglogger.com/LegLoggerWe...tAction&id=767

all these really are simply time in the saddle as they are city commuting...waits at stoplights and sometimes I'm faster than the cars. but, it's miles and kcals...

a bit over 13 miles and probably a good 60 minutes of effort.

Saturday

Warmup
    60 singles, jump rope
    10 pushups
    10 squats
    10 situps
    60 singles, jump rope
    8 pushups, squats, situps
    60 singles
    6 pushups, ...
    60 singles
    4 pushups, ...
    60 singles
    2 pushups, ...

Shoulder Press
    5 x 45
    5 x 95
    5 x 115
    5 x 135
    5 x 145
    2 x 155, couldn't get it off the shoulders on the 3rd

Kipping Pullups

Ring Dips
    6 (red band)
    10 ( 2 x purple band)
    10 ( 2 x purple band)
    10 ( 2 x purple band)
    8 ( 2 x purple band)

i wasn't particularly strict on interval/rest time today; 2-3 minutes between each set on each exercise and about 10 minutes between shoulder presses and Kipping Pullups

Rest Week

not really intentional but we've had a lot of rain over the weekend and the gym was closed monday and with just 4 days to get **** done in this week, I just don't really see myself getting done in time to get in tomorrow.

So, I may just take it off till Saturday and maybe ride to work at least one day over the next 3.

probably do me good overall.

Saturday

didn't get any riding in during the week.

rode my bike in to the gym, 2 miles, served as warmup, immediately stretched some and got on it.

Crossfit
    worked on shoulder presses again. fwiw, these are standing shoulder presses w/ a barbell, in case that isn't a given.

working for a 3RM:

5 x 45
    3 x 95
    3 x 115
    3 x 155
    3 x 165
    2 x 170

3 min intervals, couldn't get the 3rd at 170 past my forehead

5 min rest, then max rep KPU's on the 3: 7, 6, 7, 8, 7

3 min rest then max rep ring dips w/ blue band on the 3: 10, 7, 5, 5, 4

Bike ride:

left gym on bike, i'd packed water and juice/protein mixes that were approx. 9 grams of protein and 15 grams of carbs in two small squeeze bottles. had one bottle right after the above workout and a 2nd bottle 1 hour in to the ride

http://www.leglogger.com/LegLoggerWe...tAction&id=840

that's a long ass hill there at the end, 30 minutes of uphill grind. i was by myself this trip and i did not stop once this ride. took water and the 2nd protein/carb hit in the saddle.

Strength/Skill Work: Thruster

5 x 45
    5 x 115
    5 x 135
    5 x 155
    5 x 165

WOD

3 Rounds of:

20 kettlebell swings (53/35lbs)

10 sumo deadlift high pulls (95/65lbs)

20 box jumps

For time.
    53# KB, 99# on the bar, 24" box jump
    9:58

might not have had enough to eat today...got a little 'starry' eyed mid wod and had to take a bit longer rests than i wanted.

still, not bad. glad i rode saturday and not yesterday.