Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

lol, and zumba pays bills.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    no workout or ride today. sold one of the used spas i've had at the house so we delivered it and I've been running wire and digging a ditch for the wire. didn't think i was going to put in a full day's work today and i still have to finish it tomorrow.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Biked to work: 33 minutes and some change. Slight detour because of the train that runs through Biltmore Village added a 1/4 mile or so.

[Sidebar]
    Asheville is a largish hub for trains. Being the lowest point in the Appalachian's in NC and being the intersection of I-40 and I-26 (26 runs NW from Charleston Harbor) lots of **** passes through here and my route to work crosses a triple track going to the roundhouse
    [/Sidebar]

Biked home: 33 minutes and some change. ****ed if i didn't hit a train again.

No CF this week. I travel Friday and need to work a bit more and i'm still wrestling with that issue with the coach. maybe i'm an idiot for letting it affect me so. but, his whole attitude is just wrong, imo. I don't particularly want to support the business anymore and there are longer term issues with the whole picture because my friend, the original owner of CFA, is in Iraq and I feel there is a theft of sorts going on....blah...I guess it's a good thing that when I think the only point of resolution is punching someone in the face, I just leave.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Bike to work and Bike to Home.

We did have a spa delivery today and had to get the spa on the trailer by hand. Failed twice, saw stars on both the failures and the final effort to get that sumbi*tch on the trailer. Just two of us on it and it was a 900# or better spa...biggest one Jacuzzi(tm) makes. Luckily, there was a crane on the other end.

Saturday

up and out the door at 7:30 am to:

Fish: a great local place to ride is Bent Creek. I've posted maps to it before. It's a DOA Experimental Forest. But, has given itself over a bit to being a great place to ride & hike. They also stock Bent Creek w/ trout and there is a 12-15 acre lake. We took our bikes and followed the main stream fishing for about 2 hours...no luck.

then we (me and my housemate) got our bike on. One of my usual rides there up North Boundary and then down to the parking lot. 1 hour 10 minutes total ride with 30 ish as uphill.

Monday

was supposed to ride today but i need to change the brake pads and just didn't do it so i didn't ride...

i did spend time reworking my home gym. i'd had a pullup bar of 1 1/4" galv pipe but it was really too thick. Switched it to a 1" pipe and it's much better.

I also went and bought a used olympic bar and two metal 45# plates. right at $100 for both at play it again sports...a little rusty but they are gonna stay outside and get repeat coats of rustoleum as needed.

soooo...all that resulted in:

3 x 10 deadhang pullups w/ green band
    3 x 10 handstand pushups assisted using green band/red band on the vert and the blue band as the yoke

alternated the sets between exercises...didn't time myself and just went from one to the other set only taking rest to change bands around

then, after about a 3 minute rest I did 30 OHS for Time w/ 135#
    8:03

it was a bit harder than I thought it might be. I think my max OHS is just 165#
    'sets' went like this:
    kinda got the grove in the middle end there.

to be continued...

way the fizzuk out of wack this week...gotta 'control-alt-delete' this coming weekend and get back on track. two short weeks at work has me hopping and nothing like a little relationship drama to frak up your training schedule.

heh...so, CFA just announced in increase in rates...for existing members, it's going from $65/month for 2 days a week to $95/month and from $100/month to $160/month for unlimited.

at the home gym

too frakking hot outside or i'd a done something on the bar though i did WOD#2 outside, it was in the shade.

WOD #1:

Bodyweight Squats: 10 -> 1
    Pushups: 1 -> 10
    5 situps

6:45

Round 1: 10 squats, 1 Pushup, 5 situps
    Round 2: 9 squats, 2 pushups, 5 situps
    Round 10: 1 squat, 10 pushups, 5 situps

about 10 minutes between the workouts as i fiddled with getting my pullup bar from rolling

WOD#2:
    30 Kipping Pullups for time
    3:24

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    heh...so, CFA just announced in increase in rates...for existing members, it's going from $65/month for 2 days a week to $95/month and from $100/month to $160/month for unlimited.
    are you going to pay thst

i don't think so. i was alredy on the fence with the cumulative effect this one coach has...i tell you, it's as bad a situation as any martial arts school where the owner/shifu/sensei has the 'god complex' where he thinks he's an expert at everything else just because he's good at one thing. over the last week as there has been fallout from the price increase, i've heard more and more stories about people leaving the place because of him.

but, this is kinda the final straw i think. some of us from my 6:30 class are talking about trying to get some space at the gym i used to teach at to do our thing. we're all meeting there tuesday to 'tour' it and I want to talk to the guy that helped them arrange and build the power lifting room. #1, they don't have any bumper plates as far as I know and #2 there is also not a lot of room to do the CF type WODS with the olympic lifting.

plus, i'm going to slowly add to the home gym.

and, i'm going to check out another CF gym but it's not really conveniant to me being the opposite direction from work as the house.

but...for some reason another of the coaches asked to meet with me and we're having lunch tomorrow.

so...i dunno.

In exchanging emails with this other coach, I put it to him simply: "I just want to workout. I don't want to be preached to. And, a lot of other people feel the same way"

jebus...the frakking drama. LOL, like I've said before, a CrossFit gym fits the martial arts school model more so than a 'big box' gym.

my WOD today at home:

EDIT: per Google Maps, it was 1.4 miles out, not just 1.0

'Home Bike Sprint Course

so, 2.8 miles round trip and it looks to have been between 180 & 200 feet of elevation change from A to B...makes me feel a little better.

Bike 2.8 miles
    21 pullups
    21 pushups

14:21 (1st round split)
    the bike was an out and back, uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back.
    Uphill split -- 7:11
    Returned in -- 10:22

Bike 2.8 miles
    15 pullups
    15 pushups

28:07 (end of 2nd round)

Bike 2.8 miles
    9 pullups
    9 pushups

41:17 (total elapsed time)

did pullups with helmet and hard riding shoes on...they are not that heavy but were funny to jump up to the bar off of...the bar is around 9' off the ground.

finally got the new tires and brakes situated on the bike; thought about a big ride but it was kinda late and i got creative.

will plan to combine this 2 mile bike sprint with the other wods that have running for future work here at the house.

Bike 2 miles
    21 snatches
    Bike 2 miles
    15 snatches
    Bike 2 miles
    9 snatches

that aught to be fun.
    Last edited by Oso; 07-14-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Saturday

had a friend in town for the weekend. went mtn biking saturday morning but she is a novice...so, just forest roads for about an hour and 10 minutes, a couple of descent hills but not at a quick pace...call it maybe 45 minutes tops split over the hour at probably no more than 60% max heart rate.

chilled the rest of the weekend and got prepped to get back on the bike for commuting again this week.

Monday

Ride to Work, the same route, just under 32 minutes, didn't run the split for the leg through Biltmore Forest.

Ride to House, same basic rout but didn't ride through the 'Forest'. It's a bit quicker to just take the main road back even with the lights because it's all downhill grade. Just under 25 minutes to house.

Note: it is NOT quicker to commute here. It is not a time saver. I spend an hour riding and probably 30 minutes before in after in bike prep and bike maintenance (clean & lube) so, 2 hours vs. 20 minutes.

Rode in to work this morning...f*ck all thunderstorm happening now so i took the work van home.

the usual time of just under 32 min