Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Wednesday

drove van back in this morning and took the long ride home this evening

95 minutes almost to the second

Work to House via Parkway and Town Mountain

this section is the big pull up town mountain...6.4 miles it says...took a split here 42:17 just in this climb...got passed by some old skinny dude about 1/3 of the way up

looks like it starts at 2200 and tops out just below 3600...there isn't another solid line but i count 4 narrow line which would be 160' of elevation...1360' climb in 6.4 miles

climb up town mtn via parkway

I'm still planning the big ride up Mt. Mitchell on Aug 5. I'll be posting to my FB page via my Droid on the way up as long as I have a signal.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

starting to ramp up for the Aug 5 ride

got my ass up and on the bike at 7:06:20am

rode up parkway...plan was to ride out from the house 80-90 minutes and turn around figureing i could get back in 30-40.

arrived at turnaround point at 8:28:??, 13.1 miles and a ****ton of climbing in 1:22:??

turned around at 8:33:00am

returned to house at 9:14:13am

several big climbs:
    2200 to 3560 drop to 3110
    3110 to 3880 turnaround point, drop back to 3110
    3110 to 3560, drop back to finish at 2200.

i was happy with the ride overall, could have ridden for a long time i think. If i had packed any calories, i may have blown off work and just ridden.

I have ridden and clocked some of the ride in my car.

Today was 13.1 miles out and then back, 26.2 total miles in 2:07:53

just inhaled 8oz of grapefruit juice, 1 bananna and 2T of protein (18g protein) in a shake followed by 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites scrambled in EVOO.
    i didn't eat anything before the ride except a cup of coffee w/ halfnhalf, no sugar
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

sticking to the house today to get some **** done i been putting off.

needed to work some sort of upper body today, so, i started doing a set of max rep pushups every hour or so,

10am - 24
    11am - 25
    12:30 - 26
    1:30 - 16

sorta wanted to be done so i decided to do a more concentrated workout:

1 Pushup for every 1 minute round, on the minute
    i.e.: 1 pushup the first round, 2 the second and so on

got 12 pushups in the last round, just barely squeaking under the timer...didn't bother trying for the 13 round...was getting 2-3 at a time in the 12th.

so, 78 pushups in 12 minutes + the 91 from earlier. 169 total.

Sunday

taught my 2 hour kung fu class...introduced them to the agility ladder so i did that with them and a few arm drills to demonstrate...not going hard at all to keep my shoulders good.

came home and did a kipping pull up WOD as the pushup WOD from yesterday.
    1 pullup per cumulative round

got up to 8, got 4 on the 9th but ripped a callous...stopped.

so, 40 KPU's total

2 min rest and started warmup for WOD #2 of the day

then, for the next 4 minutes, on the minute I did

DL - 5 x 135
    Hang Clean - 5 x 135
    Power Clean - 5 x 135
    Push Jerk - 5 x 135

3 min rest, then 'Grace' Rx'd at 135#

30 C&J for time

5:15

waaay slower than 2:47 but, i wasn't really pushing to hard and my forearms were a tad tired...and i hadn't done any of that sort of thing and over 4 weeks now.

sounds like a pretty good day.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

not bad. trying to decide if that high time was ok given the time off and doing it right after the kpu's...both were 'pulling' exercises.

big week planned on the bike, last week before the 'big assault'

weather permitting, I'm going to ride the 20 mile loop into work monday and tuesday.
    rest wed.
    ride up the parkway thursday, going to go out at least 2 hours this week.

rest friday

next weekend I'm helping a friend move. my roomate and i are getting paid pretty **** well to help them move...so, that will take precedence...there is a piano involved i think.
    if i can get some bodyweight or weight stuff, then fine. if not, that's ok too.

next monday, i'm going to take the 3rd ride up the parkway and go for 2.5 or more out.
    then probably rest Tu/We and then the big ride that thursday.

Bike to Work

reverse of the bike from work last wednesday, 20 miles, big climb in the very beginning, 2 other climbs, one small, the other fairly long (2-3 miles) but not that steep.

92.5 minutes.

kinda tired, legs sore. upper body sore.

afternoon ride cancelled due to another storm, at least we're getting rain every other day or so...but, the heat is making them kinda big with lots of lightning...i don't have any way home that doesn't cross at least one ridgeline.

so, here at the house with the work van...will have to drive it in in the morning...will adjust intended schedule in some way.

2 hours 50 minutes total for 33.6 miles.
    rough numbers for the climbs:

start at 3890 -> 5640 (1750' in 8 miles)
    down to 5100...two climbs and drops finishing at the far end at 5100 again.
    turn around and back up to 5640 then down to 3890.

this was the middle leg of the big ride....my 'adaptation' due to weather yesterday
    was a little sketch today, a big storm blew threw about 4 but it seemed to clear and the radar looked ok, so I went.
    the last leg is the road off the parkway up to Mt. Mitchell itself.
    need to look up the length and elevation rise for that.

i think i'm done with hills...it was a lot shorter and quicker than I thought to get to entrance to Mt. Mitchell. I also stopped for picture taking several times

so, I'm going to say now that round trip will be 10 hours or less.
    lost 3G on the way up but LegLogger seemed to be working...havn't gone to the website yet to see what it actually posted.

it's late...need shower and food. details later.

River Ride

done with hill work till next thursday.

went down and did 25 miles on the river. i'll have to check back but i think i cut a bunch of time of this ride

Ledges to Marshall

40min 10 sec to Marshall
    exactly 3 minute rest to hydrate
    43 min flat on the return.

not bad.

did that moving job this weekend...10 hours on sat, 8 on sunday. lost 6 pounds saturday and i drank tons of water, a couple of beers, brownies...and lots of other crap food.

regained 4 pounds overnight saturday, lost 4 sunday, net loss of 2 pounds as of now...and i ate plenty big sunday night and back to normal for today...LSD works

anyways...probably not going to do anything before the ride thursday. i'm actually sore today from the moving...nothing severe but the biceps are actually tender...we loaded a fucton of furniture, boxes....10 loads in a 14' uhaul...

got my bike computer installed today...holy crap, it's complicated. i hope i can figure it out for the ride...it's some sort of connectivity to the computer...hopefully i will be able to dl the stats from the rides.
    http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkt...punkt=features

ok, feeling a little ripped...wasn't told I had to buy the software...**** thing was $135 + another $30 for the right magnet for my bike frame...

well, lungs are full of crap... the dust from the moving job this past weekend did a number on me...started coming on monday but i thought i'd be ok...it's been a long time since this **** has happened...oh, well...that mountain ain't going anywhere...time for mullein tea and the complete boxed set of The Last Airbender.

4 days of healing...stayed out of work Thur and Fri...stayed close to home the entire time except for dinner out thursday.

steadily got better...2 qts. a day of the mullein/echinacea tea as well as a lemon/ginger/honey drink i found at the hippie store that is pretty awesome...2 qts total of that over the 4 days.

still some tightness in the chest, but no coughing sunday or today.

went and rode the 20k time trial course this evening to check out the lungs and figure out the computer. didn't set out to do anything but posted a decent time.

as far as the computer goes: i can't seem to find the **** docking station anywhere but on a couple of foreign sites...emailed the mfgr. but no response yet.

so, you'll just have to trust me on the stats

Trip Distance: 12.87
    Trip Time: 39:45
    Avg. Spd: 19.44
    Max Spd: 25.90
    Avg. Cadence: 86
    Trip Climb: 745...no effing way. i'll double check the map but there is like 100' diff
    Avg. Pulse: 157
    Max. Pulse: 169
    KCal: 787

the time was decent...i've been around 40 min on this.
    spent a lot of time looking at the computer
    spent a bunch of time reading up on gearing & cadence while eating dinner

House to Mt. Mitchell and back.

Total Elapsed Time: 7 hours, 4 minutes, 48 Seconds.
    Distance: 70.19
    Avg. Sp: 10.97
    Max Sp: 44.33 (woo hoo)
    Avg Cad: 56
    Trip Climb: 7465
    Max Alt: 6363
    Avg Pulse: 146
    Max Pulse: 172
    Kcal: 6690

legs are toast...quads are achey and the inner thighs are wanting to seize up.
    outside of left knee hurts so bad i could barely pedal the last 6 miles.

glad i did it.
    don't see a point in doing it again.

aftermath...

so, i should have reset a bit and done a couple of more hill rides before doing the big one.

frakking uri, screwed my timing all to hell.

anyway. got kinda a bad case of 'cyclist's knee' on the left knee...could hardly bend the knee last night w/o level 8+ pain.
    did some foam rolling on the ITB as well as the whole leg (both legs, too)
    but, the roller down the ITB was more painful than feel good so I only made a pass or two.

aleve and aspirin last night.

slept 10 hours, **** near straight...woke up at 5, rolled over and back to sleep till 8.

have nearly full range of motion this morning but i can't walk down stairs normally.

will foam roll it more later.

1st Night Back at CF

warmup

Muscle-Up Progressions: sad, sad, sad. they showed several ways to practice w/ assistance. played w/ all of them.

500m Time Trial, Row: 1:36.5 enh, I've done a little faster but not much.

WOD: with a continuously running clock, max rep in 1 minute of:

Pullups, 17 reps
    Situps,
    Pushups,
    Squats,
    Deadlifts (@ 70% 5RM) 305x.7= 210, 12reps

i have no idea what the 3 in the middle were but my total rep count was 110.
    I might should have done more on the deads as I only used a 5RM number from back when i did that DL strength cycle and I had 3 sets of 5 at 305 in the middle of a 5 x 5 workset...my 5RM might actually be better than 305 but, that was plenty for today.

pulled a ham just a bit during the warmup...when i realized I had completely neglected 'jumping' over the last 6 weeks

new rule: no matter what, keep doing burpees and box jumps.