Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: blogging the bear

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Sunday w/ Kung Fu class

Box Jumps
    1 box jump per cumulative round. Rounds were 30 seconds.

I got 13 rounds good and 12 in the 14th round.
    103 total box jumps

we were at the park for training and used the picnic table. I'll measure them next week. I think they were a bit short of 20" but probably at least 18".

one of my students got 19 and 18 in the 20th. good work.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

CrossFit

Strength/Skill Work Overhead squat: Work towards a new 5RM

10 x 45
    5 x 95
    5 x 115
    5 x 135
    5 x 145
    5 x 150

I think that's a PR for 5RM. I think my 1RM was 165 a while back. Not sure, didn't look back.

WOD

3 Rounds of:

40 seconds max rep pull-ups

20 seconds rest

40 seconds max rep ball slams

20 seconds rest

40 seconds max rep double arm kettlebell thrusters (53/35lbs)

20 seconds rest

40 seconds max rep ball slams

20 seconds rest

1 minute rest

Post total reps and modifications to comments
    231 Reps total
    w/ 45#KB on the left arm, 44# on the right -- i picked up the 53's and said 'eff that'.
    had a 10# ball on the first two rounds and a 12 pound on the last.

last time i did this I was 284 reps, w/ 35# KB's and 10# ball on all 3 rounds.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Strength/Skill Work Back squat: Work towards a new 5RM

kinda screwed up thing...apparently they changed the format they want you to do when working towards a new 5RM and it's mandatory that you follow the pattern:

1 x 5 @ 50% of your old 5RM
    1 x 3 @ 75% of your old 5RM
    1 x 1 @ 90% or your old 5RM
    1 x 5 @ your old 5RM + 5-10 pounds.

I didn't know this and was sorta following another guys weight because we were sharing the stand....enh...stupid long story, doesn't matter now anyway

what I did:

5 x 130
    5 x 190
    1 x 235
    5 x 260

WOD

400m run

50 squats

25 pushups

400m run

30 squats

15 push ups

200m run

20 squats

10 pushups

200m run

For time.
    12:53
    better than I thought, figured I'd be around 15:00

the word tonight was that with the move to the new space (the one i spent 10+ hours working at this past weekend, 4 straight hours on a jackhammer busting up concrete floor) in a couple of weeks, they were going to do away with the regular classes in the evenings. they are going to start a kids program and have 'specialty' classes, whatever that means.

i'm done with this place. they have no idea what they are doing, no master plan...and they are seriously lacking in coaching staff and no action plan to recruit. so, they are cutting the classes they have the least participation in.

bike

‎42.8 miles
    3:03:03 elapsed time
    Avg Speed: 14.03
    Avg Cadence: 79
    Avg Pulse:152
    Max Pulse: 174
    Kcal: 3440

signed up with BiltFit, the gym I used to teach at, yesterday.
    Decided against the alt-CF gym because they are also a start-up and couldn't really confirm they had a regular schedule.

so...i'm familiar with BiltFit, they do have some rubber plates and at least one platform for the oly stuff.

they have 2 good spin class instructors...been there a long time...I was thinking about getting a trainer for bike for the winter but will try to catch the spin classes.

oh...and i think either a judo guy or jujitsu guy is teaching something there now...that could be fun and interesting...

and it's just $35/month with no contract or even electronic fund transfer...scan the card and if I'm paid up, they let me in.

and, i want to continue the rolfing program i just went to last week...sweet, sweet pain. so, that's some $$

and, i want to give yoga a shot too.

so, decided to lowball the gym fees to work the other stuff in to the budget.

worked out at the house today a bit, nothing special...just didn't feel like going back out once i got here.

Warmup: agility and POSE drills; 100 singles on the jump rope; kip swing on the bar; OHS warmup drill w/ PVC; hang clean warmup drill w/ PVC
    Workout: Power Cleans and OHS w/ 135
    Power Cleans first
    1 x 1
    1 x 2
    1 x 3
    1 x 4
    1 x 5
    I rested for 5 breaths x the rep count after each set (5, 10, 15, 20, 25)
    after the 25 breaths I went straight to the OHS, snatching to overhead to start each set, same pattern.

so, 15 reps of each, fairly fast.

120 singles on the rope

4 x 5 kipping pullups w/ about 60 seconds between each set.

no...no real plan, just walked outside and started warmup and went with it.

meh...

first workout at the biltfit

elapsed time for everything was 51 minutes and some change.
    sorta had a plan, need to get a new notebook and do some programming.

warmed up w/ 100 singles on the jumprope and some stretching

5 x 20 KB swings (russian) on the 2

4 min rest

Ring Dips, on the 2

2 x 8 ring dip/blue band
    1 x 6 ring dip/blue band
    1 x 4 ring dip/blue band ...shoulders started feeling it...shoulda backed up to the green since I hadn't done these in a while

3 min rest

Squats, on the 2
    1 x 5 x 45
    1 x 5 x 135
    1 x 5 x 225
    1 x fail x 315...stopped, probably not the exercise to go to after 100 kb swings

2 min rest

Bench Press, on the 2

first time for bench in well over 18 months if not 2 years.
    went for a 5RM

5 x 45
    5 x 135
    5 x 155
    5 x 175
    5 x 185
    5 x 190

I felt pretty good about that, esp after ring dips.

2-3 min rest

Row, 500m, 1:41

done

will try to get more organized.
    I think I'm going to stick with back squat and bench press for a while, get my 5RM, 3RM, 1RM and then use the same program I did for the deads a while back.

general low motivation continues...

had a small side job right after the main job, but came home and got a little done:

Warmup: 3 rounds:
    5 pullups w/Green Band
    5 pushups
    10 BW squats
    10 situps

did some shoulder rotations and generally stretched them out

then, "Death by Pullups"
    (as someone recently told me what this workout scheme was called)

1 pullup x current round number, on the minute.
    I used the green band as I was going to do deadhangs and my deadhangs still suck.

got through rep 5 of round 7 with all deadhangs, last two of round 7 and all of rounds 8, 9 and 10 were kipping.

so, 26 deadhangs and 29 kpu's with the green band in 10:47 as I capped myself at 10 rounds. I def would have not gotten a full set in the 11th round on 13 seconds rest.

biking

got a ride in on the old homeground

in Richmond this weekend for my niece's 1st birthday.

22.93 miles
    1:26:13
    15.95mph avg speed
    86rpm avg cadence
    149bpm avg pulse
    165bpm max pulse
    1563 kcal

it was kinda odd not to have to get out of the saddle to climb any hills

**** up week

got back from my richmond trip with my head in a better place and started the week off with two 18 hour fasts on tues and wed. say what you might but both days felt really good. the weekend had def been a little bit of a binge though i really didn't go off the hook except for me and my brother drinking a bit over a case of some really good beer over the course of 3 days...which really isn't that much.

anyway, dinner both tues and wed was moderate consisting of 8-10 ounces of meat, 6-9 of veggies and 1 cup of brown rice with some seasonings and a couple of beers.

decided thursday i was good with the fasting bit and had a light breakfast and a good lunch at the asian buffet; all unbreaded meats and veggies, no rice or other starches.

by the afternoon I was feeling fit and strong and ready to hit the gym to do some lifting with some short, fast rowing at the end.

however, thursday afternoon, i had to dive a pool to make a repair in the floor.

best guess at this point is that in the process of coming up for air multiple times, I aspirated some of the adhesive into my lungs.

90 minutes after the diving, I had a splitting headache, dizziness and nausea. 5 hours later I was way ****ed up and probably running a fever. couldn't really eat much and collapsed in to bed.

woke up the next morning feeling like someone was driving a rusty, dull spike in to my lungs. went in to work and did two calls before calling it and going to the doctor.

101 deg fever...but, no real idea of what the issue might be...so, the drew blood and sent me home to return monday to get results and he just told me to take tylenol for the fever and whatever worked for the cough.

spent the weekend coughing my lungs out...so much that my hernia scar sites are frakking sore as hell. nothing OTC worked and i even used the last teaspoon of the good hydrocodone cough syrup i've been saving for 6 years and it didn't work. Sucking on Hall's was the only thing that kept the cough reduced. Didn't sleep at all Saturday and Sunday nights.

Back to doctor monday...no sign of flu or cold...but they really didn't do a toxicology type test on the blood but the normal stuff was all in normal ranges...I guess they were looking for stuff to be off??? I dunno.

anyway, the doc figures I just got some **** in my lungs and since the cough is completely non-productive assumes burn/irritation of the lungs and gave me a script to prednisone....just took the 4th one and it seems to be working

go back for follow-up friday and finish the prednisone then as well.

supposedly I'm not going to sleep well, i'm gonna want to eat a lot and i might get short-tempered...

Sat 10-2-10

in the gym...cardio is not an option at the moment.
    got on the stairclimber for a warm up and did 6 min/24 flights, gradually increasing the tempo but it got me coughing so I stopped and let my heart rate drop and kept basically a 3 min interval on all the lifting so that I wasn't 'that guy' in the gym.

Basically going for a 5RM on the two main lifts today.

Iso Lateral Bench: a Hammerstrength machine for bench, each arm is independant.
    I decided to just use this for bench so I can go to failur w/o a spotter. It's not going to be a real 'bench' weight but no matter

10 x 90
    5 x 180
    5 x 200
    5 x 210
    5 x 220

OHS
    10 x 45
    5 x 95
    5 x 115
    5 x 135
    5 x 145
    2 x 155, fail on 3rd

Back Squat
    I had scheduled to do Back Squat before OHS but couldn't get in to the room due to yoga class. So, this wasn't where I had hoped to be on it.

5 x 45
    5 x 135
    5 x 225
    3 x 235, fail on 4th
    5 x 225

KB Swing 50 x 30
    KB Cross Chop 50 x 10 each side
    TGU's 30 x 7 each side

Ring Dips 5 x 5 w/ Blue band on the 2

Back raises 3 x 10 on the 1

I had originally programmed to warmup w/ 500m row at a slow pace, do the exercises in order and then finish w/ another 500m for time but the lungs are in no shape.

Had final checkup w/ the doc yesterday. basically still assuming I got either the algaecide and/or the glue in my lungs. Last prednisone pill was last night and she said I should steadily recover over the next week...if not or it plateau's/gets worse, i go back in.

finally slept last night for the first time in a week. now i just have to wean myself back off all the bread i've been eating.

home gym

i know, sporadic as hell and i'm def backsliding.
    my lungs did get ****ed up though...very difficult breathing today, painful. no coughing except when i sucked in a bug doing squat cleans but still painful to expand all the way.

Warmup: done is something less than 9 minutes but i wasn't timing:
    3 Rounds straight, no rest of:

60 singles on rope
    10 squats
    10 bootstrappers
    5 lunges each leg
    10 pushups
    15 straight leg situps
    15 leg lifts

lungs were hurting...sharp pain on left side. so, i gave myself 3 minutes rest before:

Pullups, green band, 10 rounds total, 5 reps at the top of every minute.

3 minute rest

10 deadlifts @ 135#

2 minute rest

10 hang cleans @ 135#

3 min rest

5 front squats @ 135#

3 min rest

5 front squats @ 135#

3 min rest

Squat Cleans @ 135#, 1 every minute on the minute for 10 total.

I want to get my squat clean solid. Can't tell of course but I think i'm about 80% there, i'm following through to the full squat of course but can't quite get the pull under all the way down...dang, should have set the camera up...maybe next time.

oh, yea...started the morning off giving a lesson in arnis...young woman who wants some self defense...so, i'm going to see if she takes too trying to break peoples hands with sticks. she ain't big as a minute so she def needs a 'force multiplier'. i've told her she really needs to take a good pistol class and she probably will do that too.

BiltFit

Spin Class

odd. you don't do stuff for the same reasons. the trainer's computer was messed up so i couldn't get my actual cadence. it's wireless and i think it was messing with the signal from my wireless computer/heart rate monitor so i don't even know for sure what my heart rate was. at the end, my monitor had a max of 180 and an avg. of 156 but i'm not even sure if that's right.

the trainer felt alright, you can adjust all the geometry you need to so that was fine.

one problem for me was when we were supposed to get out of the saddle to simulate a climb i had to really adjust the tension up before i stood up or a spun out. it wasn't so bad when we were doing 1 min intervals but at one point we were doing bursts they called 'jumping' for about 15 seconds up and 15 down and it was irritating to try and spin the knob on the tensioner...so, i just left it up but then my cadence was really slow when i sat down.

another thing: tonight's instructor doesn't actually ride
    there is another one on the monday night class.
    i'll give it several shots but right now i'm not really happy with it.

i did get my sweat on though...just can't quantify it in any way.

weights

took about 5 minutes and then did this, 135# on the bar for everything

0:00 Deads x 10
    3:00 Hang Cleans x 5
    6:00 Front Squats x 5
    9:00 Squat Clean, 1 every minute, 10 total
    ...... Still probably not more than 90% down on the catch on any of them but getting there
    18:00 Last Squat Clean
    19:00 OHS, only 3, wrist was hurting*
    21:00 Snatch, 1 every minute, 10 total
    ...... I only tried to do high catches on the first 5
    ...... Tried full squat catch on the last 5, two good ones and failed the last 3.
    30:00 Last Snatch

i'm gonna tweak this and work something out to do after the spin classes.

*had an effed up repair yesterday, had to squeeze my upper body in to a tub cabinet to make a repair under the shell. tweaked my left shoulder and both wrists a little. they were sore this morning when i got up. surprised my shoulder felt good through all of this.

i can't even keep to a program when i write it down

went in to do the same program as last time except i was going to reduce the number of cleans so i could get all my snatches...then i did a set of 5 DL's @ 225 and two sets of 3 @ 315 ...and didn't get all my snatches again...i'm an idiot.

basically, did 500m on the rower in 1:57 to warm up

then the above lifts with the addition of the DL's and and failed the first snatch @ 135, dropped weight to 115 and got the other 4.

at 3 min after the last snatch i added 20 Russian KB's @ 50# and 10 TGU's each side at 30#

then got on the stairs: 20 min @ Lvl 6.

oh, yea, i decided i don't like the spin class...it really doesn't train you for the road and i checked all the other trainers and their computers seemed broke as well...don't do me no good if i can't keep cadance.

so, back on the stairs...i do kinda love them and they have worked for me in the past.

[Casts Resurrection Spell]

2-19-11

Yi Jin Jing

Situps 10 x 5, on the 1
    Squats 10 x 5, on the 1
    Pushups 5 x 5, on the 1
    Pullups 5 x 5, on the 1, Green/Blue/Red bands
    Kettlebell Swing 10 x 5, on the 1

stretching.

been, what? 4 months?

pretty much mostly stayed sick all winter...some degree of sinus or chest thing, a real bad on in early january.

bought a 50# KB yesterday. not a bad price at $79. they didn't have the 'pood' weights. just by 5# increments and nothing over 50.

so...here's to warm weather.